Replacement tires options 175/80-13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Replacement tires options 175/80-13

It's tire research and shopping time...

Observation 1: Goodyear Marathons have a high failure rate and low user satisfaction. Something to avoid I think, yet I read on this forum that Carlisle makes the Goodyear marathon - which make me wary of Carlisle now too.

Observation 2: Most available trailer (ST) tires (in BC) are already mounted on rims but not balanced.

Presently, our trailer (GVWR 1650 lbs) has older passenger radials, Load Range A, that are starting to weather crack.

Today I saw some 13" Duro D-rated tires on steel (white) rims for $177 plus taxes. Don't need want the rims, however, and would rather not pay the extra $.

Considering our trailer is on the lighter side, I wonder if the more economical option is to install passenger radials again - but with at least a B or C load rating.

However, I don't find much selection in the 175/80-13 size, which seems to be a default ST size. Last year I found a supplier for P175/80-13 radials but they were only A rated. Perhaps a 180/70-13 is an acceptable substitute?

Any and all answers/recommendations gratefully received. Cheers!
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
you've maybe read all of these, but if not... use the google search on the site for "trailer tires v passenger tires" or "radial v bias ply" and you'll get more opinions than you shake a stick at!

You'll find folks that have been more than happy with the Marathons, Carlisle, etc. I know people have switched to 14's so they have more selection. I have the same size as you, and went with the Maxxis ST tire - love em. Again, just an opinion

I will say this tho, I found that local dealers could order in for the same price as if I had them shipped from an online source... and could order any of the brands discussed, without the rims. So, maybe you'd have similar luck?

Good luck!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have four Marathons on my trailer. I run 42# of air max says 50#. I put Kumho's 195/14 on a Bigfoot 17. If your tires are six yrs or older replace them before you have a failure.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Darrel thats sounds a bit strange that the tires you have seen are mounted. try phoning around you should not have a problem finding trailer tires not mounted at most of the big tire stores or at least I didnt have that issue with the last set of tires I purchased in BC at Big O Tires.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Darrel thats sounds a bit strange that the tires you have seen are mounted. try phoning around you should have a problem finding trailer tires not mounted at most of the big tire stores or at least I didnt have that issue with the last set of tires I purchased in BC at Big O Tires.
I'll expand my search field to dedicated tire shops that may be more conversant and informative regarding trailer tires: Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, Lordco, NAPA, West Marine, et al, are stocking tires already mounted on white spoke painted rims - but not balanced.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
you've maybe read all of these, but if not... use the google search on the site for "trailer tires v passenger tires" or "radial v bias ply" and you'll get more opinions than you shake a stick at!

You'll find folks that have been more than happy with the Marathons, Carlisle, etc. I know people have switched to 14's so they have more selection. I have the same size as you, and went with the Maxxis ST tire - love em. Again, just an opinion

I will say this tho, I found that local dealers could order in for the same price as if I had them shipped from an online source... and could order any of the brands discussed, without the rims. So, maybe you'd have similar luck?

Good luck!
I know...so many disparate opinions and reviews my head is spinning.

My rationale for passenger radials is for more compliant sidewalls that may minimize stresses to the suspension and vibrations to the interior as we're planning a long-distance road trip.

There's much more availability in the P185/70-13 size and the diameter is a close match (1" under) to the O.E.M. size.

The Maxxis looks like a good bet, and it comes in 4 and 6 ply in the 175/80-13. First, I'll have to check availabilty in Canada and customer reviews. The Marathons sure get slagged, and that might give one pause to wonder.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
I know...so many disparate opinions and reviews my head is spinning.

My rationale for passenger radials is for more compliant sidewalls that may minimize stresses to the suspension and vibrations to the interior as we're planning a long-distance road trip.

There's much more availability in the P185/70-13 size and the diameter is a close match (1" under) to the O.E.M. size.

The Maxxis looks like a good bet, and it comes in 4 and 6 ply in the 175/80-13. First, I'll have to check availabilty in Canada and customer reviews. The Marathons sure get slagged, and that might give one pause to wonder.
Yeah, I put on the 6-ply radials. Pull smooth and ride nice. When I was calling around, I never found anybody that carried the 4-ply Maxxis but somebody must - so best to double check.

Oh, and if you want to continue the head-spinning - I made the mistake of doing the same searches on trailer and boat forums. Same scenario of reviews, except people weren't always so friendly in their disagreements
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Remember when sizing tires that technically when you use passenger car tires on a trailer you should divide (derate) the reported load capacity at any given pressure by 1.1 according to industry practices. And you're limited to 35 psi. (You can inflate higher but you don't get an increase in load capacity. Unless you can find an extra load (XL)tire.) This usually means you need a larger tire (than the same size ST tire) to carry the axle load. The ST tire can carry more load because the load and inflation capacity tables allow more load.
Attached Thumbnails
tires.JPG  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I purchased my replacement tires from etrailer.com, but I don't know if they ship to BC or not? I have a Scamp 16SD that came with 175/80-13 C rated tires but since lot's of people complained about losing tires on the curb side due possibly to the weight on that side, I upgraded to "D" rated tires in the same size, and they are radials.
They have many a few load ranges on their website in your size, so it's worth a try. Mine have had no problems at all in the 2 years I've had them, camping from the coast of TX in the summer to Ontario Canada in the fall, and many points in between.
Karrier ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM10210
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Problem solved: Fountain Tire sells unmounted tires: Goodyear Marathons and Galaxy Road Rider ST (radial). The Galaxy is the cheaper tire but has a good reputation so far. The company's (Chinese) background appears to be in tires for commercial and heavy equipment.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Can I use 175/80-13 on my '73 Boler? I can't seem to find the 165/80-13 that best matches the original. Also, I'm having trouble finding the correct 5 bolt rims with the .50 offset thingy ... most of this is Greek to me ... I just want to put wheels on my Boler.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
ST tires b c d

We Purchased 3 Hercules Power STR radial ST205/75r14 C rated trailer tires from the Firestone dealer a pair of ST175/80r13 c rated radials should be no problem. We had them balanced on our existing rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
It's tire research and shopping time...

Observation 1: Goodyear Marathons have a high failure rate and low user satisfaction. Something to avoid I think, yet I read on this forum that Carlisle makes the Goodyear marathon - which make me wary of Carlisle now too.

Observation 2: Most available trailer (ST) tires (in BC) are already mounted on rims but not balanced.

Presently, our trailer (GVWR 1650 lbs) has older passenger radials, Load Range A, that are starting to weather crack.

Today I saw some 13" Duro D-rated tires on steel (white) rims for $177 plus taxes. Don't need want the rims, however, and would rather not pay the extra $.

Considering our trailer is on the lighter side, I wonder if the more economical option is to install passenger radials again - but with at least a B or C load rating.

However, I don't find much selection in the 175/80-13 size, which seems to be a default ST size. Last year I found a supplier for P175/80-13 radials but they were only A rated. Perhaps a 180/70-13 is an acceptable substitute?

Any and all answers/recommendations gratefully received. Cheers!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #13

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
P.S. The local Goodyear tire expert recommends trailer tires for trailers as car tires are not made to work with trailer suspensions
Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I purchased my replacement tires from etrailer.com, but I don't know if they ship to BC or not? I have a Scamp 16SD that came with 175/80-13 C rated tires but since lot's of people complained about losing tires on the curb side due possibly to the weight on that side, I upgraded to "D" rated tires in the same size, and they are radials.
They have many a few load ranges on their website in your size, so it's worth a try. Mine have had no problems at all in the 2 years I've had them, camping from the coast of TX in the summer to Ontario Canada in the fall, and many points in between.
Karrier ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM10210
I spoke too soon! Just after the 2 year point I got a bubble on the inside of one of my D rated 13" tires. Didn't lose any air, but it needed to be replaced. Since 14" tires are easier to find on trips, I decided to upgrade to 205/75-14 tires in load range C, which are a little larger and have a little more capacity than my D rated 13" tires.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1090.jpg   100_1080.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires