Replacing Ball Receiver on Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Replacing Ball Receiver on Trailer

Hi, I looked around and couldn't find a thread dealing with this, forgive me if I over looked it...

I have a Trillium and the ball receiver part of the trailer, where the 17/8" hitch ball locks is old, rusty and barely functions. I'm thinking I'd like to get it removed and replace with a 2" receiver there, then replace the ball on my truck.

Is this something others have done? I'd take it to a welder, but are there any pitfalls to doing this? Will it weaken the connection to the Tow Vehicle? Any insights would be welcome.

Don
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Don, lots of people have done just this, and in fact I am contemplating doing it on the '76 Trillium I am working on. A good welder will have it mounted more than strong enough.

This is the one I am thinking of getting from Princess Auto.
Class III 2 in. A-Frame Trailer Coupler | Princess Auto
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up this will be bitter

[QUOTE=trilliumdon;506746]Hi, I looked around and couldn't find a thread dealing with this, forgive me if I over looked it...

I have a Trillium and the ball receiver part of the trailer, where the 17/8" hitch ball locks is old, rusty and barely functions. I'm thinking I'd like to get it removed and replace with a 2" receiver there, then replace the ball on my truck.

Is this something others have done? I'd take it to a welder, but are there any pitfalls to doing this? Will it weaken the connection to the Tow Vehicle? Any insights would be welcome.

most people do this going to 2" ball
it will be fine
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Just did mine this year on our Boler
Bottom of the page is a pic of the install.
I changed the style of coupler used in order to make the hitch a little longer. Plus I wanted the coupler to be bolted to the trailer. I wanted it bolted so it would be easy to replace in case I twisted or otherwise hurt it.
Fred
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-55601-13.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Don, that's a pretty standard change out. I have 2" couplers on everything, even a little 4 x 8 foldup. Got tired of changing the balls out.
One other thought, don't know what you tow with but if you have a problem with clearance with the jack while connected, this would be a great time to have a longer coupler done.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends on whether you want to deal with welding. On the forums (all over the net) the hitch portion has often been described as the spoon and fork. The spoon portion is where the ball lands, the forks are the portion that hooks around the ball. If the spoon is good (not elongated, cracked, etc) but the forks are worn... you can purchase a new hitch assembly and take it apart. Put the new forks and hitching mechanism into the spoon.

Does this make sense?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Often times rust makes metal parts appear far worse than it really is. Have you sprayed it down with WD-40 and a wire brush?

Unless a lot of the metal is gone, it's probably OK with a bit of cleanup and a shot of rustoleum.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I made it my life's mission to change every 1 7/8" hitch trailer that came into my possession to a 2” hitch. And I was doing it to until I bought my old Scamp with a perfectly good 1 7/8” hitch and just can’t bring myself to change it. But someday I will find a reason and will not only change it to 2” but will raise it up and also elongate the hitch a little for jack and tailgate clearance. All that said, I would think about what other things I might want or need while I was taking it to a Welder. I know I had to reinforce the frame of my Scamp where it had rusted through on the bottom for example.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Lucky the boler we have was built with a 2" but do have a frame repair to do at the door step