Replacing Welded on Axle on 1998 Casita Spirit Deluxe Need Info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Replacing Welded on Axle on 1998 Casita Spirit Deluxe Need Info

I am looking into replacing the axle on my Casita Spirit Deluxe. I want to get the axle that raises the trailer up and allows 15 inch wheels in addition to more ground clearance. I know Dexter makes the axle I am looking for and I can order it from them. What I want info on is there anyone out there who knows where I can get this work done? I live in Los Angeles. The original axle is welded on, so that needs to be cut off and the new one installed. I checked with camping world and they quoted me 10 hours of labor or about 1$1200.00 plus cost of axle. I'd like cheaper. Is there some place that I should check or that you know about where I can get this done and done right? Thanks in advance.
Karen
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Bambi
I would ask around locally for recommendations for a really good welding shop. I kinda think that 10 hours of labor is high to cut out and reinstall it. If you find a good shop to do the work, ask about having the axle drop shipped to their shop. I seen instances where the shipping costs go down when shipped to a business.
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Ten hours to replace an axle???

Look in Yellow Pages under Trailers-Repair and Service. The Dexter distributor in Denver does not install the axles, just sells them, but the trailer shops can be Dexter dealers. The axle will be about $50 more throught them, but they will remove the old and weld on the new.

$1,200 and 10 hours labor is outrageous. I was quoted a price by an RV of $700 + cost of axle. Decided to do it myself on my 13 Scamp. Took about two hours and came out perfectly. Just be sure they mark the back of the existing axle so there is a reference point to determining the axact placement for the new one.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
10 hours of labor?!?! I cut mine out, repaired frame cracks, cut out all the factory cross members and welded in new ones, welded in extra frame rails to lift the camper and a cross member between them for support, welded in bolt up mounts for the axle, installed the axle, bolted on the new wheels, and it took me less than 10 hours! The only thing not in that is the brake wiring, because I spent some time completely redoing all of it.

I didn't trust the factory to have the original axle straight. I leveled the camper, dropped a plumb bob off the kingpin, and did all my measuring off that. My hunch was correct.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have had Buds Brake & Wheel Parts in Bakersfield change out 2 welded on axles for me in the last 2 years.
The first was on 14' Lil Bigfoot which required a frame modification and the second was on my 13" Scamp.
Both axels included brakes.

Axel and all for each was about half of just your labor to install a new axel.
They have been in business for years and work mostly on commercial trailers.

He should be able to order the axel for you.

If you want to give him a call the number is 661 322 7061.

I very seldom recommend any business but this one has done an excellent job for me at a more than reasonable price twice.
It might pay you to drive 100 miles or so.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Karen
Trailer: Bigfoot 25
California
Registry
Thanks for the info. I am still looking for a place locally to do this, but the Bakersfield recco may just work. I'll give them a call and see what they have to say and get a quote. Thanks again to all who responded...Camping World is always high so I begin looking around. If anything else comes up or more ideas on how to do this for less cost please post. I am not capable of doing this work myself so that is not an option for me.
Much Thanks
Karen
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
flyby,
What specific axle are you planning to use?

I have a 1995 16' SD and am planning a similar project. I'm thinking a Dexter #10 with brakes, EZ lube hubs, and 10deg down. I was quoted about $475 for the axle at a frame and axle shop but haven't quoted the labor yet. I also plan to upgrade to 15" rims. Have you figured out if the larger wheel/tire will fit the threaded mounts for the spare on the back of the trailer?
Mike Kempin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Mike,

The stock Casita mount is just a threaded rod that threads through a plate that covers the hub hole in the spare. Will fit 15s fine.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Arrow Trailer Supplies * (Arrow Trailer Supplies, Inc. - Ontario, CA) Arrow Trailer Supplies - Home Page in Pomona has a complete axle repair & service department. It's probably the biggest one on the west coast for RV's. Good peeps to work with and very reasonable.

P.S. As I have often said about Camping World, their service and parts prices always represent the maximum you should have to pay. Everyone else drills down from that point. I think they thrive on customers that are either clueless or don't have to care about prices.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote