running propane heater while towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
running propane heater while towing

Hi all,

I never did this with our Scamp, but wondering if anyone has operated propane furnace while towing.

Now down to 21° and allegedly going to 18 later today. I have "pre-heated the trailer to 75 and assume for the first short 2-hour leg of our trip all will be fine w/o heat.

But still wondering about if the furnace is left on. Clearly, the Class A rigs do this but then someone is inside monitor. I do not recall anything at the Escapees Escapade safety seminars on this issue.

Heading out in about 1.5 hours. Brrr.

Lucky no overnight snow so our drive is dry and clean.

Bat Dude
Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've done it once or twice with my Escape 17 by accident. It worked fine, and it was a pleasant surprise to step into a warm trailer when I arrived, rather than waiting for it to warm up. Haven't tried it with the 21, but I suspect it would work fine.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I don't see why this would be unsafe, i would just make sure that nothing can fall in front of the heater, like a cushion or a bag or something like that. Especially on a short trip, I wouldn't see anything wrong with doing this. I'm sure you will get more responses soon, but seeing as how heated the debate on running the refrigerator on propane gets, it should be interesting.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It is reassuring that at least some have done it successfully.

I wonder whether the winds might affect how the chimney flue draws? I suppose our friends in Wyoming have survived some very high winds, and they weren't driving.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
It is reassuring that at least some have done it successfully.

I wonder whether the winds might affect how the chimney flue draws? I suppose our friends in Wyoming have survived some very high winds, and they weren't driving.
I don't think the flue should be affected as it is a forced flue system with a fan.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Talking

This has been discussed many times on many different forums including here. Do a search, grab some popcorn, be mindful of the time and enjoy the show.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I'm guessing your Escape has ducted heat vents and electronic ignition so it should work OK (should being the key word here). If you did have a pilot light, it might be put out by wind and as previously mentioned, if something fell in front of the very hot furnace grill , it could cause problems. The ducted heat in my Bigfoot discharges warm, but never hot air.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Winter Camping

In our earlier days (1970's - 'pre-FGRV' era !) the SO and I did a lot of winter week-end camping (ice-fishing, snow-shoeing, etc.), with our slide-in truck camper, wherever parking was available at the side of Hwy 17 of Lake Superior's north and eastern shore-line. At temps, well below freezing, we never carried water in any camper tanks, but, we always relied on the propane furnace. Turned it on before leaving home, and it stayed on, for the entire week-end event. Never had any concerns about furnace blow-out problems, camping or traveling. Too old to risk that now !
Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #9

Name: Fred
Trailer: Bigfoot
Delaware
In Virginia you are required to turn off the propane gas valves prior to entering any tunnels. They will ask you at toll booths and at some tunnels you are required to stop and show them the LP is turned off!

My experiences from Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel as well as Portsmouth Tunnel
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Same on ferries.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Just today I left Michigan and drove to my son’s place in Indianapolis. I had the furnace on but not at a normal room temp setting. If you drive all day in cold temps think about how much you’d”enjoy” a frigid bed. With heat on it’s not an issue. Been doing this for years since we flee Michigan for Arizona in the winter.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Hi all,

I never did this with our Scamp, but wondering if anyone has operated propane furnace while towing.

Now down to 21° and allegedly going to 18 later today. I have "pre-heated the trailer to 75 and assume for the first short 2-hour leg of our trip all will be fine w/o heat.

But still wondering about if the furnace is left on. Clearly, the Class A rigs do this but then someone is inside monitor. I do not recall anything at the Escapees Escapade safety seminars on this issue.

Heading out in about 1.5 hours. Brrr.

Lucky no overnight snow so our drive is dry and clean.

Bat Dude
:I would think it would be okay so long as the furnace is vented to the outside, we have smallish MH and we drive with Fridge/freezer on all the time that way I keep my drugs cool and makes them work better.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Gas Heater on While driving.

So the question that enters my mind is, What is your level of liability if something should go wrong?

Do you shut the heater off while in a gas station refueling?

Murphy's law, what can go wrong will go wrong.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:42 AM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
running heater while traveling

Just turn the propane off then the furnace should shut off so no propane getting to the furnace, also getting on Ferries you have to shut your propane off.
Heck it is common sense to shut furnace and propane off when fuelling up??
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane