rv brakes for my NEW Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #21
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Hi all,

Well after many questions, research & looking, we finally did it. We put in an order for a Casita RV.
We have a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer, 8 cylinder with a Tow Package

Joseph Q
Ocean Shores, WA
It's good to see you are looking at a smaller/ rather than larger trailer if you are using the 08 Merc. Also spend some time researching the connection and set up. The thought of using a WDH is a strong consideration too.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #22

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I have a table that everyone can easily see, which indicates, for each of our regions, provinces or states, at what weight your trailer must have brakes.
I have the French version, but easy to use and understand.

Lois sur le remorquage des YouYou et Remorques
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #23

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
I picked up my Casita F.D. 17 six days ago. Have your vehicle checked to see if it is WIRED for a brake controller. Get a pig tail at the dealer and when you go get your trailer Casita will wire it in for you. The orientation at the factory takes about two hours, lots of good info. Very limited storage so when you buy stuff think small. I would advise you to buy as little as possible until you get your new toy. We are traveling and are having fun learning about our new toy.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 AM   #24

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I have had my new Casita SD for 5 months now and have put over 6,000 miles and many nights on it. My first night was spent up in NE Texas having some mods done. The next day I ordered a 8" Gel- Spa sensations mattress from Walmart for just barely over $200. Best investment I've ever made, second only to getting my Casita.

So I vote start researching a mattress if you plan on converting the large dinette into a full-time bed. Your hips and back will appreciate it. There is also some place back east that's makes custom mattresses for the Casitas, but I can't remember who. Can anyone chime in with that name?

As for a brake controller, they recommended the Prodigy P3 to me at Casita, so that's what I got. I ordered the correct connection cable with it for my Jeep and it cost me $10 and 15 minutes to get it installed at a local RV dealership. I also have a WDH because I carry a Honda generator over the tongue and off-set with a small cargo carrier on the back. Everything is level and it tows like a charm.
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #25

Texas
One more thing just thought of. Along with Casita installing your brake controller if you have the correct wiring harness, talk to your "person" there if you decide on a WDH. They are happy to sell you the set-up and all the installation is done at the time of delivery when you show up with your TV. It takes an additional 2 hours on top of your orientation, as they have to do all of the necessary welding onto the trailer frame. They also do all the paint touch-ups and make it pretty and new after the work.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #26
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
I have had my new Casita SD for 5 months now and have put over 6,000 miles and many nights on it. My first night was spent up in NE Texas having some mods done. The next day I ordered a 8" Gel- Spa sensations mattress from Walmart for just barely over $200. Best investment I've ever made, second only to getting my Casita.

So I vote start researching a mattress if you plan on converting the large dinette into a full-time bed. Your hips and back will appreciate it. There is also some place back east that's makes custom mattresses for the Casitas, but I can't remember who. Can anyone chime in with that name?
Hi, Denise. I think the OP is getting the Independence floorplan, which is twin beds. They might want to get a foam mattress and cut it in half - do you think the one you recommend can handle that? I wonder because it is "gel."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #27

California
What is WDH?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #28
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
WDH = weight distribution hitch
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #29

California
Thank you Mary
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #30

Texas
Weight Distributing/Distribution Hitch.

Mary, probably not. It is a full size 8 inch Gel Tempur Foam mattress. However, I purchased a 4" tempur topper and a 3" gel topper and cut them to fit my side dinette when made into a small (accent on small) single bed. I then purchased a nice mattress pad and sewed it into a "pouch" to encase the toppers. When not in use I roll it up and put it away. Very comfortable.

I found the name of the place that makes the custom mattresses for the Casitas. They may be able to come up with something also.

southernmattressnc.com
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #31

California
We ordered a mattress custom made for casita trailers from Southern Mattress in North Carolina. We pick it up next week while on the road to who knows where.

Tags
brakes, casita