rv brakes for my NEW Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
rv brakes for my NEW Casita

Hi all,

Well after many questions, research & looking, we finally did it. We put in an order for a Casita RV. We will pick it up next year & begin our journey as "Eggheads". Thanks to all who answered my posts & for all the info on the site.

I am still a little confused however regarding a Brake Controller. Do I need one installed or not? I get mixed messages from people I have talked to.

We have a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer, 8 cylinder with a Tow Package & the 7 pin hookup on the back. So that's for the lights & such, correct?

Which, if I need one, Brake Controller should I look for & can I hook it up myself or should I hire someone?

Lastly, is there a sort of "checklist" of items I should start accumulating for the Casita to carry with us. Like tool pack, coffee pot, whatever... things that should be on every ones list no matter the size RV.

Thanks all & looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Joseph Q
Ocean Shores, WA
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
YES YOU NEED A BRAKE CONTROLLER. Some newer high dollar pickups have them built in but I don't think an 08 Mountaineer would.

What you should be asking about is do I need a WDH or not.

If your getting a 16' not really but if your going for a 17' then yes.

As far as items your need like spoons and forks are a given along with TP, soap and towels.

Don't go overboard untill you've taken a couple of trips.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
There are many good discussions back and forth about brake controllers that can be searched out in this forum. Happy searching.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Prodigy P2 controller and yes you can install it yourself. Etrailers have many videos of how to do it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There really isn't a "Not Really" choice

Although Washington, at 3000 lbs., has one of the highest common limits before requiring brakes, there are a number of states that have the safer value of requiring brakes at 1500 lbs, including California and there is NY that requires brakes at 1000 lbs.

In short, your may not be required to have them, but you NEED to have them. Or, Don't leave home without them.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe it's Federal law that if your trailer has brakes they must be functional. That would mean for electric brakes that come on most travel trailer a brake controller is necessary.

Most of us ues a prodigy brake controller, I have P2, some have gone with a P3.
eTrailer has the brake controllers and a special cable that will connect the brake controller to the trailer system. It becomes plug and play.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

Registry
You might also want to add a breakaway switch. Federal law says that if the state you're in requires trailer brakes a breakaway system is required.

If you call Casita they might be able install the breakaway switch for you.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #8

Byron.

When quoting "Federal Law" it would be nice if you included a link to said law.

Just saying.

Joe
Old 09-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Hi all,

Well after many questions, research & looking, we finally did it. We put in an order for a Casita RV. We will pick it up next year & begin our journey as "Eggheads". Thanks to all who answered my posts & for all the info on the site.

I am still a little confused however regarding a Brake Controller. Do I need one installed or not? I get mixed messages from people I have talked to.

We have a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer, 8 cylinder with a Tow Package & the 7 pin hookup on the back. So that's for the lights & such, correct?

Which, if I need one, Brake Controller should I look for & can I hook it up myself or should I hire someone?

Lastly, is there a sort of "checklist" of items I should start accumulating for the Casita to carry with us. Like tool pack, coffee pot, whatever... things that should be on every ones list no matter the size RV.

Thanks all & looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Joseph Q
Ocean Shores, WA
Everybody is different and there needs are different. Some will carry everything under the sun wanting everything they might have at home with them. Other look at differently.
I carry minimal tools, and a couple plastic cards (AAA and Visa, and Master Card). I can handle almost any situation with the minimal tools and plastic.

Coffee pots... That depends on whether you plan on RVing or camping (my terms; RVing = staying where ever there's electricity, camping = where there's no electricity.

There's lots of National Forest campgrounds in WA, I'v been to several, along with National Parks. No electricity in those places. However for around $15.00 per more more you can stay at a State Park with electricity and crowds.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

Washington
OK that's settled, I need a Brake Controller.... uh Joe what is "What you should be asking about is do I need a WDH or not." a WDH?

Byron what is a Break away switch?
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Socks

WDH stands for Weight Distributing Hitch. Basically it spreads the tongue weight that is an easy 400 pounds on a 17 foot, between the trailer, and front and rear axles of your Mountaineer. Check your owners manual it may have recommendations or requirements. My Jeep Liberty that has a tow rating of 5000 pounds requires one at 300 pounds. My silverado "recommends" one at 600 pounds.
I have a 17' SD and use a WDH on my Silverado 4x4.
Now if your looking at a 16' Casita you probably won't benefit from one as they tend to be almost too light as far as tongue weight goes.

Here's a breakaway switch. basically if the trailer comes off the hitch and your TV it applies the trailer brakes.
Replacement Tekonsha Trailer Breakaway Switch Tekonsha Accessories and Parts 420000
Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If your new Casita has brakes from the factory, it most likely also has a break away switch already in place. As others have already said, you will need a controller.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you have brakes on your trailer it would be silly not to use them. Brakes on your tow vehicle will require far more frequently replacement should you choose not to use the brakes.

My vote goes to the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller as well - best controller I have used.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
OK that's settled, I need a Brake Controller.... uh Joe what is "What you should be asking about is do I need a WDH or not." a WDH?

Byron what is a Break away switch?
A brake away switch is one that applies the brakes on the full on if the trailer should come disconnected from the tow vehicle. I don't about Casita, but most trailer manufacutrers will install it for if you ask.

WDH Weight Distribution Hitch. Only needed if the tongue weight is greater than the tow vehicle will allow. It brings the trailer and tow vehicle back to level. No matter with the shade tree mechanics that's all it does.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Washington
Hey all,

Yes we ordered a new 17' Casita (independence), because of the extra headroom & used seemed to be pretty pricy, so we figured why not.
So I guess we might have the break away switch you are talking about. I will check with them.
Here is the info on my Tow bar;

Hitch Rate - 5,000 lb
Tongue Load - 400-500 lb
Dist. Trailer wt - 7,300 lb; Tongue - 730 lb
Carrying - Trailer wt - 5,000 lb; Tongue - 500 lb.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Hey all,

Yes we ordered a new 17' Casita (independence), because of the extra headroom & used seemed to be pretty pricy, so we figured why not.
So I guess we might have the break away switch you are talking about. I will check with them.
Here is the info on my Tow bar;

Hitch Rate - 5,000 lb
Tongue Load - 400-500 lb
Dist. Trailer wt - 7,300 lb; Tongue - 730 lb
Carrying - Trailer wt - 5,000 lb; Tongue - 500 lb.
Those numbers are probably not the lower numbers of tow vehicle's rating. Those numbers are probably lower.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The numbers on the hitch receiver or hitch are not relevant, unless they are lower than the numbers in the manual for your tow vehicle ( unlikely ).
If the tow rating for the vehicle ( per the manual ) is 350 / 3,500 lbs, it doesn't matter that the hitch is rated for 16,000 lbs.
You still have a limit of 350/3,500.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:03 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Casitas come with the breakaway switch. If you have a tow package with a 7 pin connector installed it's probably wired for the brake controller making installation easy. If it is pre-wired the connector is most likely tucked up under the dash somewhere. You may need an adapter for the connector. Any good hitch store or RV place can help you out. The Prodigy P2 or P3 is a great choice for a controller.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:55 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I have a 17' SD and use a WDH on my Silverado 4x4.
I am Impressed with your the thoughts and your application of the WDH Joe.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The numbers on the hitch receiver or hitch are not relevant, unless they are lower than the numbers in the manual for your tow vehicle ( unlikely ).
If the tow rating for the vehicle ( per the manual ) is 350 / 3,500 lbs, it doesn't matter that the hitch is rated for 16,000 lbs.
You still have a limit of 350/3,500.

The 3500 lb tow limit apparently applies to the V6. There are a number of references on-line indicating that the V8 versions, "When properly equipped", can tow in the range of 7000 lbs. The optional factory hitch is rated as being Class III/IV.

Here is one such "Unofficial" reference.
2008 Mercury Mountaineer Performance | U.S. News Best Cars

As always, the owner should refer to the owners manual for the actual vehicle for towing limits and optional equipment that may be required.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, casita