Safety Chains On A Scamp 19 (5th wheeler)? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 11:40 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Safety Chains On A Scamp 19 (5th wheeler)?

Those of you with small 5th wheelers (scamp, escape, etc), do you use the safety chains and if so, where do you connect them? Thanks
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
Those of you with small 5th wheelers (scamp, escape, etc), do you use the safety chains and if so, where do you connect them? Thanks
Scamp sells/installs a proprietary hitch that uses a ball and a coupler. It is not a true 5th wheel because 5th wheel refers to the type of connection. Because the Scamp 19 attaches in the bed of a truck like a true 5th wheel, it is often referred to as a 5th wheel. Ball and coupler connections require safety chains, 5th wheel connections do not. Scamp’s modified 5th wheel hitch has provisions to attach the chains which are present on the Scamp 19. Those who use an Andersen hitch, another ball and coupler hitch requiring an add-on to the pin box of a true 5th wheel connecting trailer requires chains. I have seen different methods users employ to attach safety chains.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Short answer: yes.

The Scamp 19 requires safety chains because it is a ball and coupler connection. Escape and BIgfoot fifth wheels use a kingpin connection, so no chains.

I’ve seen three hitches commonly used: an older custom unit fabricated and sold by Scamp, a modified Reese unit currently supplied by Scamp, and the Anderson. What do you have?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #4

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Safety chains

I had a 2002 gooseneck Scamp (ball coupler) and used safety chains. There were holes drilled in the crossbar that held the ball on the mount in the truck. I was told to always cross the chains. The hooks on the chains went into the holes in the crossbar.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #5

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
safety chains

I see from other posts that you have the reese hitch from scamp. The trailing edge of the top plate has two holes for hooking up the chains. I always use the chains and as the previous post states, always cross them.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
20201107_134309.jpg  
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp