Scamp 13. Towing with furnace on. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Scamp 13. Towing with furnace on.

I have a pretty new Scamp 13 with the built-in furnace. This is a really naïve question. I wondered, when I am relocating from a day spot to a night sleeping spot, maybe traveling 3 miles or so, is it OK to turn the furnace on and have it on while I’m towing for 10 minutes or so? That makes things cozy and saves a little battery, since the furnace fan can run off the alternator then. Plus the furnace is kind of noisy and it it’s nice to have it off as much as you can.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
That is an interesting idea.
Something like 75% (according to several polls) travel with the propane on to run the fridge.
There is no obvious reason why this would not be similar or perhaps even a bit safer.

Driving with the water heater on has been known to blow out the pilot light and shut down the water heater, occasionally it can even happen to the smaller fridges.
The furnace works fine in high winds when parked... and it has no pilot.

I personally don't make a habit of running propane when towing, but those issues don't directly relate to furnace operation.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Propane furnace on while driving

This may present a problem on a Scamp trailer. The furnace intake is located on the side of the trailer and when driving, the air movement across the trailer creates a negative (vacuum) pressure. This in turn can make the flame go out.

If the flame goes out it should attempt to reignite.

Personally I make it a practice to shut the propane off while driving.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If your trailer is warmed up and you shut off the furnace for 10 min to move and then turn the furnace on again, will your unit get that cold in 10 min? In some locations, towing a trailer with the propane tanks open is prohibited as an open propane tank could vent should an incident like a detachment etc. occur.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Being Safe than Sorry is the answer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
In some locations, towing a trailer with the propane tanks open is prohibited as an open propane tank could vent should an incident like a detachment etc. occur.

Source of this information please. A link that can be used to confirm.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel:
CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel:
CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations

Right, and gas stations and ferries, but not highways.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
In Virginia you must stop and an official will confirm that your tanks are OFF B 4 you are allowed to go through tunnels.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I have pre-warmed the trailer any number of times, stopping a few miles before the campground, turning on the heater and trailer is warm as I enter. Never had a problem with it.
Fan forced air furnace should be ok, but there are possibilities of something going wrong. Running off the road is a much larger worry.

If you are in the trailer you might be able to fix the situation before it gets out of control. (Looking in side mirror and seeing a large fireball following you.)

The newer trucks with a 2000 watt generator built in would be good for running the AC to get the trailer pre-cooled on a hot day.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #11

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I can understand running the fridge on the road, although ice is cheep. I think running the furnace on the road is ... not a good idea. I’m slow in making camp, but if I were to turn it on once I arrive, my little Scamp will be all toasty by the time I’m ready to put on my PJs.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I can understand running the fridge on the road, although ice is cheep. I think running the furnace on the road is ... not a good idea. I’m slow in making camp, but if I were to turn it on once I arrive, my little Scamp will be all toasty by the time I’m ready to put on my PJs.
That’s a good point. Unlike the fridge, which is ve-e-ry slow to accomplish its mission, the furnace heats up the Scamp in a jiffy.

Given the relatively poor insulation of the Scamp, most of the heat put out while you’re towing would be wasted anyway.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That’s a good point. Unlike the fridge, which is ve-e-ry slow to accomplish its mission, the furnace heats up the Scamp in a jiffy.

Given the relatively poor insulation of the Scamp, most of the heat put out while you’re towing would be wasted anyway.

When driving (towing) from Michigan to Arizona to spend the winter and leaving home in December I kept the furnace going at a reduced setting. Without heat and driving for several hours in cold weather it’s not pleasant to hit the sack in a cold bed.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I could see that in your situation, especially if you unwinterize the trailer for the trip south. You’d need some heat for the pipes as well as your comfort. I believe you have an Escape, perhaps with the winter upgrades? That makes it a more practical proposition.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
When driving (towing) from Michigan to Arizona to spend the winter and leaving home in December I kept the furnace going at a reduced setting. Without heat and driving for several hours in cold weather it’s not pleasant to hit the sack in a cold bed.
Agree, warm air in a few minutes, but pull the covers back or put a hand under a pillow!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp