Scamp 16ft dry vs unloaded weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: ID scamp
Trailer: scamp
west
Scamp 16ft dry vs unloaded weight

Hi
I need some help.
I'm selling my 16ft scamp (layout 4) side bath and trying to get the weight of the trailer in the right range, 1,800 to 2,000. Listing it as unloaded weight VS dry weight would be more accurate. Do you guys agree. Do I need to add more.

I looked at what you guys have listed and the weights with them fully loaded which is helpful. They're coming in around 2,400lbs.

Thanks for any insight.
Outwest Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think the unloaded weight with battery and propane but empty holding tanks would be most useful. But I wouldn’t list anything in the ad unless you have actually taken it to a scale. Guesstimates aren’t helpful. If they ask about weight and you don’t have a scaled number, you might give a typical loaded range of 2400-2700#, based on the database.

I appreciate your commitment to honesty. Whether intentionally or through ignorance, I’ve seen a lot of gross understatements of trailer weights in ads.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV weight on a CAT scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think the unloaded weight with battery and propane but empty holding tanks would be most useful. But I wouldn’t list anything in the ad unless you have actually taken it to a scale. Guesstimates aren’t helpful. If they ask about weight and you don’t have a scaled number, you might give a typical loaded range of 2400-2700#, based on the database. I appreciate your commitment to honesty. I’ve seen a lot of gross understatements of trailer weights in ads.
I’d get everything not included in the sale out of it and run it over a scale. The new owner will thank you. Even Scamp gets the weight wrong, my published shipping weight was 600 lbs light. Towing requires the knowledge of three weights, axle, hitch and total. It’s worth the cost to know. Cat scales will have multiple platforms, get the hitch on one and the axle on another. I think CAT rounds UP to the next 20 lbs. (picture is as picked up, no water full LP)
Attached Thumbnails
CAT SCALE 2017.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Name: ID scamp
Trailer: scamp
west
Thank you for the response. Changed ad.
In my scamp manual it says dry weight for 16 is 1550 lbs, which is lower than the approx. 1750 to 2000lbs. I had read somewhere that the older scamps weigh less.

Thank you
Outwest Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest Scamp View Post
Thank you for the response. Changed ad.
In my scamp manual it says dry weight for 16 is 1550 lbs, which is lower than the approx. 1750 to 2000lbs. I had read somewhere that the older scamps weigh less.

Thank you
Almost everything is technically optional on a Scamp. Fridge, optional. Toilet and shower, optional. Water heater, optional. Battery, optional. Awning, optional. Furnace, optional. Air conditioner, optional. Extra cabinets, optional.

Published dry weights are for the base, unoptioned model. Actual unloaded weights as built can be hundreds of pounds heavier. Older Scamps can be a bit lighter, yes. It’s partly because they used different frame, floor, and window components, and partly because the option list has grown over the years. Owner modifications also factor in.

New or old, the only way to know the weight of yours is to visit a scale.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight