Scamp 19 anyone modified to tow behind an SUV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #41

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2015 19 Scamp DLX
British Columbia
Fifth Wheel

Hmmm
Attached Thumbnails
20210715_031145.jpg  
Seacap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
One problem is that if converted to a bumper pull the wheels would be too far back overall I would think.
I have seen pictures of a number of botched attempts to do this very thing, but I think it would be a bad idea.
Most of the trailer is just a 16' Scamp with the extension to the front.
Personally I would not give up the front bath for the space in the front. My trailer originally had the side bath like the 19' and it leaves a lot (LOT) to be desired in my opinion as the floor is 6" higher and the roof line is lower.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #43

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
One problem is that if converted to a bumper pull the wheels would be too far back overall I would think.
I have seen pictures of a number of botched attempts to do this very thing, but I think it would be a bad idea.
Most of the trailer is just a 16' Scamp with the extension to the front.
Personally I would not give up the front bath for the space in the front. My trailer originally had the side bath like the 19' and it leaves a lot (LOT) to be desired in my opinion as the floor is 6" higher and the roof line is lower.
If converted to a bumper pull, you're talking about 400+ pounds tongue weight! And a weight distribution hitch is not available for that type of hitch sit up.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The best bumper pull conversions include an A-frame that connects to the main lower frame as well as a vertical support for the loft. See post #19.

Because there is not a continuous frame rail from the coupler to the axle, you still can’t use a WDH. With the weight of the conversion plus the pre-conversion hitch weight of an S19, you likely looking at closer to 600# on the hitch. That requires a pretty robust tow vehicle.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:14 AM   #45

British Columbia
Bumper Hitch S19

It can be done and it works just fine...
I would be a great place to store bikes etc and free up the box of a pickup truck.

Attached Thumbnails
Scamp bumper tow.JPG  
Old 11-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #46

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Uhhh well... yes, you can do it. Is it really just as simple as what is shown? Physically yes, design wise no. You are screwing with literally everything.

Any axle is a fulcrum. The weight of the RV on either side of the pivot point (axle) is balanced at the factory. And the downward pressure of Scamp 19 rv tow hitch is intended to press down directly over the drive axle of the tow vehicle NOT on a bumper hitch mount.

BTW the drive axles of the tow vehicle is also a fulcrum. Weight applied downwards on the tow ball is pushing up on everything forwards of the drive axle. Which means the steer tires get lighter as you push down on the ball. This does not occur if you place the pressure directly on the drive axle as designed. This gives the Scamp designers freedom to apply much more weight downwards on the tow ball in the bed of the truck because all they are doing is applying a load into the bed of the truck.

So you completely mess with the tongue weight of the scamp by sliding the ball forwards, plus it was never intended to press down on a bumper hitch ball, so what is the result? Are you doing an engineering analysis of the resulting forces? On what happens to the downwards pressure on the steer tires?

And then you are going to start loading the new "free space" with bicycles, and God knows what else, applying yet more down force onto the tow ball.

Yea, no problem...

Let's say that I personally wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. And if the first law enforcement officer to pass you doesn't instantly write you a ticket and place you out of service, (s)he needs to be fired. And BTW (s)he can place you out of service, forcing you to get it towed somewhere.

Good luck with all that.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #47

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacap10 View Post
Hmmm

One of these little jobbie dos would work just fine. You are placing an axle under the coupler and this is done all the time. Look at double and triple trailers towed commercially. This is exactly what they do.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:26 AM   #48

British Columbia
"A patent, or invention, is any assemblage of technologies or ideas that you can put together that nobody put together that way before. That's how the patent office defines it. That's an invention."

Dean Kamen

Quit looking at the walls and find out what's outside them...
Old 11-10-2021, 03:28 AM   #49

British Columbia
"A patent, or invention, is any assemblage of technologies or ideas that you can put together that nobody put together that way before. That's how the patent office defines it. That's an invention."

Dean Kamen

Old 11-10-2021, 03:51 AM   #50

British Columbia

Dean Kamen

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20211110-014909_Chrome.jpg  
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #51

North Carolina
I like it

Tags
scamp