Scamp 19' fifth wheel towing -- Scamp hitch vs. converted 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1988 Scamp Fifth Wheel
North Carolina
Scamp 19' fifth wheel towing -- Scamp hitch vs. converted 5th wheel

New to the Scamp game and wanted to check in on opinions of the new style Scamp hitch vs. trying to convert a 5th wheel hitch to a gooseneck. Like everything on forums like this these questions have probably been answered long ago, so if anyone has thread links that might help.

The Scamp hitch has the advantage of being purpose driven for the Scamp trailer but can't really be used for much anything else. My preference is something with wider adaptability that could also be used for, say, an Escape trailer later on rather than having to swap out a hitch in a few years if we go in that direction.

What I was thinking was in the realm of a typical Reese-type 5th wheel hitch and one of these kingpin to gooseneck adaptors:

What are the pros and cons of that sort of device versus the Scamp hitch? This solution also has the advantage of being more readily available locally versus something I'd have to have Scamp ship to me in North Carolina.
Stendec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Every once in a while I think of getting a 5th wheel, either Scamp or Escape, and I was impressed with this Andersen hitch. I don't know if they would resize the 2 5/16th ball for the Scamp, but it looks like this could be used if you went from a Scamp to Escape or vice versa.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson Hitch.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #3

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Other than just watching a You Tube video I know nothing about the Scamp hitch. That being said I'm very surprised that it attaches to the truck bed and not the frame. I'm using an Anderson Ultimate hitch to tow my 5.0 TA and really like it. It uses a ball mount witch has an adjustable height. Not having actual dimensions couldn't say for sure but looks to me like it could work with Scamp set up. It is a much more robust set up that attaches to the frame not bed of truck. If it was me I'd get in contact with the people at Anderson and see if they can help. I think it's a great hitch.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Radar1 beat me to it, but that is the hitch that I was talking about.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Using an adapter like that might lead to too much play at the hitch. You want keep a snug hookup.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #6

North Carolina
I think I might have been able to answer my own question. In looking into the Scamp hitch a bit more, I was able to identify each of the pieces they sell individually on their website with Reese equivalents:

The crossmember: https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...er-detail.html

Reese part/etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP58147.html

The legs: https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ir-detail.html

Reese part/etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30727.html

The rails: https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ts-detail.html

Reese part/etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP58058.html

The only part I found to be proprietary is the mounting bar for the 2" ball that goes over and mounts to the crossmember. It's not actually pictured on Scamp's website, oddly enough, but it's the top plate on the picture here:

https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ch-detail.html

So long story short, most of the pieces for this Scamp mount are industry standard except for that 2" ball mount. I called Scamp directly and ordered just this part from them and got the rest from etrailer -- the 2" ball mount is $80 + shipping.

So if we end up switching to the Escape longer term, it'd just be a matter of replacing the 2" ball on the crossmember with a kingpin-based fifth wheel mount and the rest can probably stay the same.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #7

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thanks Jason, I've got a 2019 Ford Ranger and have been looking to see what kind of hitch I'd need for a Scamp 19. I'm surprised that a standard 2" ball is the hardest part. What was your tow vehicle? You think that setup will work with my Ranger Crew Cab? Thanks. Al
Sixmileal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

North Carolina
We towed with a long bed (6') Nissan Frontier initially and then upgraded to a Chevy Silverado when the Nissan proved to be insufficient for towing in some areas of the west -- the transmission was also starting to have issues on it. What we ended up doing was getting the ball and top metal plate directly from Scamp, then connecting it to more standard Reese components (Reese 58147 crossmember) for the rest of the system.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: Al
North Carolina
Thanks Jason, Looks like they removed the 2" ball adapter from their web site. I'll give them a call but they may not want to sell just that part. Do you think the plate is something that could be made locally? Seems like it's just a thick metal plate with a bolted 2" ball.
Sixmileal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixmileal View Post
Thanks Jason, Looks like they removed the 2" ball adapter from their web site. I'll give them a call but they may not want to sell just that part. Do you think the plate is something that could be made locally? Seems like it's just a thick metal plate with a bolted 2" ball.
Yeah a good machine shop should be able to make a comparable version fairly easily out of plate metal with mounting holes that match the crossmember you use. It was easier for me to just buy it all together because I bought a large number of items from Scamp anyway, but it might be easier on your side to have it done locally and just buy a common 2" ball.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Odds are that your buyer would want the hitch with the Scamp when you sell. Then you would simply buy the correct hitch for your replacement trailer.
Better yet.... buy the trailer you really want in the first place.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Other than just watching a You Tube video I know nothing about the Scamp hitch. That being said I'm very surprised that it attaches to the truck bed and not the frame. I'm using an Anderson Ultimate hitch to tow my 5.0 TA and really like it. It uses a ball mount witch has an adjustable height. Not having actual dimensions couldn't say for sure but looks to me like it could work with Scamp set up. It is a much more robust set up that attaches to the frame not bed of truck. If it was me I'd get in contact with the people at Anderson and see if they can help. I think it's a great hitch.
A Scamp 19 hitch does necessarily have to be mounted to the truck bed rather than the frame. Scamp specifies the maximum distance from the ball to the two corners of the tow vehicle’s rear bumper. My memory of minutia is not that great but if I do remember correctly, the maximum is something like 56” or 59”. It would be best to call Scamp and ask. The specified distance is critical so that the trailer does not contact the bumper in turns. As a result, the connection point is often slightly behind the tow vehicles axle rather than in front of it. The tongue weight of the Scamp 19 is not so heavy as to exert a lever effect lifting the front wheels of the tow vehicle causing handling issues, which is why gooseneck and 5th wheel hitches are generally slightly in front of the axle. This maximum distance sometimes precludes the option of using standard frame mounted brackets. A good welder could likely fabricate brackets that could be attached to the frame. The Scamp 19 is a very stable tow. My only complaint, if you can call it that, in three years I wasn’t able to drop the coupler onto the ball and lock the coupler (not even once) without pulling the truck forward or reversing a couple of inches, and I could then lock the coupler. As part of the hook up routine, I would get in the cargo bed and have my spouse “jerk” the truck forward or backward. As soon as I heard the “clunk,” I could move the locking lever to the locked position.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Nebraska
I have a 2003 Chevy S10 Crew Cab LS with the 4.3L 6 cylinder engine... It's rated at 5,200' for towing and 1,111' for payload. I had inherited it from my father when he passed in 2011. I wanted to get a camper that was large enough that it could be comfortably used with our two grandgirls (ages 5 & 6), but small enough to be pulled by the S10... The Scamp 19' seemed to fit the requirements...

I drove my S10 to Backus, MN and had Scamp Eveland's install the newer 5th wheel hitch (with the quick release) before I picked up the trailer; the previous owner had the old 5th wheel hitch (with no quick release).

RaceEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Al, enjoyed talking with you this afternoon and wish you the best on getting things sorted out.

The hitch plate is 1/4" thick flatstock and 16 7/8"L x 6"W.

It attaches with six grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts. I'd guess these are 3/8" or maybe 7/16" in diameter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7030.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	137425

Name:	IMG_7031.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	137426

Name:	IMG_7032.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	137427

Name:	IMG_7033.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	137428

Just let me know if you have further questions
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Can the Anderson hitch be used with the Scamp 5th wheel?
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:44 AM   #16

Name: Brett
Nevada
Except for the top plate (in the pic it's the piece with the 6 bolts) that has the ball, all the rest are off-the-shelf 5th wheel parts.

Jason (post above) has the parts listed out. I wonder what the cost is if you bought the pieces like listed, individually?
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The tongue weight of the Scamp 19 is not so heavy as to exert a lever effect lifting the front wheels of the tow vehicle causing handling issues

The first time I had hooked up the Scamp (driving from Minnesota to Nebraska), a sales manager from EBY Trailers in Story City, IA (where I spent the night) pointed out to me how my S10 was experiencing "squat" (which can affect handling). He recommended to me the Timbren SES (suspension enhancement system) to prevent squat. I purchased the SES kit from eTrailer.com and installed it myself.

https://timbren.com/p-35851-timbren-ses.html
RaceEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #18

Name: Paddle
Trailer: Scamp 19 ex Casita 16
Georgia
Lil Rokr legs and fabricated ballplate

2001 Dodge Dakota
PadddleVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp