Scamp 19 Hitch cushion (Curt rockerball - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Scamp 19 Hitch cushion (Curt rockerball)

Installed a curt rockerball on Scamp 5th wheel hitch
I am hoping this will cut down on the jerking !

https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlib.../40047_INS.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
grease zerk extention.jpg   grease.jpg  

greaseable2.jpg   rockerball.JPG  

hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Curt ball

Let us know how it works out.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

North Dakota
Registry
rocker ball first trip

Took a quick one night trip last weekend, about 200 mile round trip. Seems to make a big difference a lot less jerking and very smooth. Really notice a difference at rail road tracks, joints on the highway and pot holes.
Attached Thumbnails
P5070975.jpg   P5070976.jpg  

Old 05-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I am glad to hear that the rockerball works well, as you described. I would be curious how much difference it might make on some of those concrete roadways which have a wave built in. I find those stretches of highway really annoying.

Do you leave that hook-up mirror in place while traveling? How well is that working out?

I tried a mirror that was attached temporarily to the hitch in the bed and provided a view of the ball from above, but storing and installing was a pain. Now I use what is basically two sticks with magnets at the end. One is held on the hitch forward of the ball, the other on the coupler latch. They get slipped inside the crosswise tube of the Scamp frame, so they are easy to retrieve and put away. It is the same idea as those sticks with tennis balls, but made of leftovers from ancient projects that I worked on long time ago.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #5

North Dakota
Registry
hook up mirror

The hook up mirror is made for a goose neck trailer. I flattened the bracket and welded it to the scamp. So yes it is left there when traveling. I works okay. but is not as helpful as you would think. One thing that might help would be to put a stripe on the center of the bed and inside of the tail get to help get lined up sooner. More so when you need to back in when you are unable to be square with the trailer. I still like to use the tennis balls though. One other problem, when the trailer is parked, the mirror becomes a bird roost and you have a mess to clean up. So you need to cover it with an old towel when parked.

The rocker ball will get a real test this summer when I go to Fargo. There is a stretch between Grand Forks and Fargo on the south bound lane of I29 it is really bad. It will jerk so bad it feels like you have a flat tire. My neck gets sore from the jerking.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I painted the line in the middle of the bed, pretty much like what you are describing. The only part of it that helps in my case is at the top of the tail gate. All trucks have different dimensions, but with my Tacoma I bent a piece of 1/4 inch steel so I can open the gate part way, to be a few inches lower than the ball, but not flat, so I can back up and not hit the gas tanks*. If I get the white mark on the tailgate lined up below the coupler and go straight back, it lines up. Those magnet sticks are still good as extra help, and for telling how close (front-back) I am. Occasionally I still shift to park and step outside to look and make sure I got the distance right.

*) Early on I would open the gate flat, back up close, get out, close it and then finish. I did not really like that sequence.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp