Scamp 19 w/ 06 GMC Sierra 1500. Which frame brackets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Considering Scamp 19
Oregon
Scamp 19 w/ 06 GMC Sierra 1500. Which frame brackets?

I've made a deal to purchase a 2005 Scamp 19. I need to drive about 7 hours one way to pick up the trailer, and I don't have rails and brackets installed in my truck yet. The truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra K1500 crew cab with the 5 1/2' bed.

I am trying to decide which rail and frame bracket kit to purchase. I spoke with an etrailer rep and she gave me two different Reese kits. One is custom fit for my truck, ( RP50064-58 ) but I wonder if it would be too limited not knowing if the Scamp hitch would conform to the 'industry standard' hitches these brackets are templated for. The other is more 'universal' ( RP30035 )and just uses four angle brackets. Somehow those angle brackets don't inspire much confidence in me.

Has anyone got experience with the these trucks and scamp 19's? Also, my bed sides are 51" tall. I know the axle has been upgraded to a Dexter 5400 lb. unit but I don't know if larger tires or any lift has been added.

The plan is that the seller and I will install the hitch rails and brackets when I get there because all the shops are booked out for a couple weeks.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Josh
vfxhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I purchased my hitch directly from Scamp. If you do this you get what you need. You could call Scamp and ask which Reese rails, etc. to purchase elsewhere. But, you would still need to make or purchase the plate for the 2" ball.

You only need to attach the rails to the truck's bed. You do not need to use the brackets that attach to the truck's frame. This is what Scamp told me and how I installed mine.

Check the Scamp website for their owner's manual regarding where to place the hitch in the bed. Also, read about the bed rail height.

Good luck, Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #3

Name: Josh
Trailer: Considering Scamp 19
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
I purchased my hitch directly from Scamp. If you do this you get what you need. You could call Scamp and ask which Reese rails, etc. to purchase elsewhere. But, you would still need to make or purchase the plate for the 2" ball.

You only need to attach the rails to the truck's bed. You do not need to use the brackets that attach to the truck's frame. This is what Scamp told me and how I installed mine.

Check the Scamp website for their owner's manual regarding where to place the hitch in the bed. Also, read about the bed rail height.

Good luck, Bert

Thanks for the reply, Bert. The trailer comes with the original Scamp supplied hitch. I understand that Scamp does not require the hitch to be affixed to the frame, but I don't personally feel like that is adequate for my peace of mind. Also, I'm in Oregon, the trailer is in Northern California, and Scamp is in Minnesota, so I don't have time to get parts from them in time to pick up the trailer this weekend.
vfxhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Virginia
Scamp just uses a Reese hitch and makes a top plate for the 2" ball. Take a look at the last post in this thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-81254.html

Bert
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #5

Virginia
How did the hitch install & ride home go with your 19' Scamp? Bert

Tags
scamp