Scamp Axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: scamp
CA
Scamp Axle

First time caller, long time listener.

I'm looking to replace the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13 and refuse to pay the shipping charges by ordering directly from Scamp. Does anyone know what make/part # the axle is? I'd like to order and pick up locally. I'm in Southern California.

Thank you
Arooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Too new to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arooroo View Post
First time caller, long time listener.

I'm looking to replace the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13 and refuse to pay the shipping charges by ordering directly from Scamp. Does anyone know what make/part # the axle is? I'd like to order and pick up locally. I'm in Southern California.Thank you
That is to new to wear out. There should be a tag like this on it. Picture is from my 2017 SIXTEEN FOOT. But it may get you started. Mine is bolted on with a welded tab in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
AXLE.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You will still pay shipping from the factory to wherever you pick it up (unless you’re going to drive to the axle factory). The price of the axle itself may be different, too, since Scamp likely gets wholesale pricing by ordering in quantity. Always good to comparison shop, though. I hope you’ll post what you find out.

Factory spec in 2010 was the same as my 2008 for the 13’ers: #9@2200# with 22.5* up arm angle and 7” brakes. In 2019 Scamp changed to #10@2500# with 0* arm angle and 10” brakes. Mine is welded on, and I think yours is, too. They later changed to a bolt-on.

As an alternative to a Lippert or Dexter fixed angle torsion axle, you might want to consider a Flexi-Ride axle. By many accounts better quality and the arm angle is user-adjustable. Shorter arms require moving the mounting points slightly closer to the wheel wells.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

CA
Thanks for the replies. I'm not 100% I have a problem with my axle, but I can't figure out what else would cause one of my wheels to sit so far forward in the wheel well, while the other one is perfectly centered.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not 100% I have a problem with my axle, but I can't figure out what else would cause one of my wheels to sit so far forward in the wheel well, while the other one is perfectly centered.

It is altogether possible that it is on crooked.
Mine ripped away from the frame. You need to get under it and take some pictures if you see a defect.
Also. Run a measuring tape from the coupler to the center of the wheel on each side. The measurement should be equal.

If you find a defect like I did, you contact Scamp and ask for a replacement and the funds to have the work done. I did and got it.

Now: When you have it replaced I recommend you have it BOLTED on, that way you will be able to change it out yourself in the future.

Shipping: When Scamp shipped mine, it came from the axle factory direct to me.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Get out the tape measure

Quote:
Measure from the hitch (or jack if centered) to the brake plates, both sides should be the same. I did this to square the axle when installing the lift kit.
The two wheel openings were not the same on mine. Please let us know what you find.
Attached Thumbnails
WHEEL L 1.jpg   WHEEL R 1.jpg  

Old 03-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a Flexiride axle and they are made in many different parts of the US and there may be a factory near you.
Scamp usually has very fair prices, but freight changes the overall cost a great deal and you are very far away to go to the factory of for freight.
Also a 2010 should not need an axle yet.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
13'ers are known to have a very close clearance next to the door. The street side typically looks even, but the door side is cut closer in front. Normal. The apron (lower edge of the shell that hangs below the floor) is also asymmetric and hangs a bit lower on the door side. You can see it looking straight on from the front. Also normal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Lippert locations list

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
That is to new to wear out. There should be a tag like this on it. Picture is from my 2017 SIXTEEN FOOT. But it may get you started. Mine is bolted on with a welded tab in the center.
I think that Lippert now owns CURT.

https://www.lci1.com/locations
Old 03-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Scamp shells are not symmetrical they are molded differently on the curb side for the fitting of the door. Attaching the floor/frame to the shell is done by hand and not precise fit. It is not unusual for some (not all) people installing larger tires/wheels to trim the shell to make them fit in the wheel opening. I would not be too concerned about the shell spacing if the axle frame measurements are good. Anyway you can't see both sides of the trailer at the same time.
Another note. 2010 was the year Scamp started installing bolt on axle brackets. Not sure if all 2010's got the axle brackets. If you have bolt on brackets you need to determine the axle mfg. During the 2010 time frame Scamp was using Dexter and Alko axles around 2015 (not exactly sure of year) Scamp switched to Lippert axles. The Lippert axles have a different bolt spacing on the bolt on axle brackets. So you need to replace with a like axle unless you want to weld on new brackets. Dexter axles have their serial number etched in the center rear of the axle tube if your sticker is missing. If I were ordering a new axle for a 2010 I would go with at least a 0 deg. axle.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

CA
You guys were right. The shell is asymmetrical. Street side is centered and the curb side of the shell extends back towards the tire. Both tires were the same distance from the coupler. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Dexter, Lippert and many other axle manufacturers have stocking distributors in all major cities. Look on the Dexter website and they will list them. I needed a Dexter axle and went to the local distributor and they had many axles in the warehouse. No need to order or wait and they order by the truckload so shipping is included in the price.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
You guys were right. The shell is asymmetrical. Street side is centered and the curb side of the shell extends back towards the tire. Both tires were the same distance from the coupler. Thanks for all the replies.
If your tires are wearing evenly, you probsbly don't have a problem with the axle.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #14

Name: James
Trailer: 1976 Boler Voyager 13'
Ontario
crooked axle mounting.

G'day: For what it's worth as a point of interest only. My 76 Boler 1300 appeared to have a crooked axle mount. When I replaced the frame with a new one, I found out that the Boler body had originally been mounted crooked on the frame. Appears as if when installed, they mounted it where it landed, not lined up.
JamesML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #15

Name: Hugh
North Dakota
Registry
Axle

The curb side fiberglass is lower than the street side. The center isle floor in sunk into the bottom of the frame rails to lower the floor to allow for more head room. The frame is cut away at the door opening to allow the door isle to be level with the center isle. Two pieces of box tubing are laid on their side on the bottom side of the frame rails and welded in to make up for the structure where the frame is cut away. The street side from the bottom of the trailer side to the aluminum belt is about 31 1/2 inches. The curb side is about 36 inches. The size and shape of the wheel well opennings are difference from street side to road side because the side wall is lower on the curb side by the door. So if you go by how the wheel sets in the wheel well. It will be different from side to side. I doubt if there is anything wrong with your axle. This is normal
Attached Thumbnails
P5150982.jpg   P5150983.JPG  

P5150984.jpg   P5150985z.jpg  

P5150986z.jpg   P5150987z.JPG  

P5150989.jpg   P5150990.jpg  

hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp