Scamp Axle Replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #21

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
This is just from memory, but I believe the axle, with shipping from Scamp was just over $450. This included the electric brakes. They would have installed it for about $100 if I remember correctly.

The local metal fabricator (works on all kinds of trailers, including travel trailers) quoted me "no more than $350" to cut off the old axle, install the new one, wire the trailer for the brakes and install the 7 pin plug. After speaking with the Scamp installers (who they said were VERY accommodating to them), they fabricated a mount so that the new axle could be bolted on instead of welded on - will make future servicing easier. The final charge for the work they did was $325, I believe. This included the extra materials to make the mount. They also topped off my propane tank for no additional charge. I went this route, despite the higher cost, since I thought it would save me a long drive to the factory and the costs that that would entail.

Since I wasn't sure if they had worked on fiberglass trailers, I cautioned them about the fire potential, including the fact that the wood floor was impregnated with fiberglass resin, so could easily be ignited while they were playing with their torches underneath. Did it as politely as I could, assuring them that I wasn't trying to tell them their business. They didn't take offence. Jokers that they were, when I went to pick up the trailer, the owner came out and very seriously commented that they only had a small fire, but they got it out pretty quickly. Luckily, he couldn't keep from laughing once he saw my face.

I do not notice that the trailer is any higher, perhaps an inch or so, but that may well just be due to the new rubber in the torsion axle. I didn't, however, measure it.

I think if I were to do it again, I would just take it back to Bakkus and have Scamp install it. It would have been cheaper, plus I ended up taking the trailer back to them anyway. I took a trip to North Dakota last month and stopped in at the factory for a Fantastic Vent install and a new door seal. They were very accommodating and quick. It's a nice area and there is a campground just outside of town that was a nice place to stay the night before having the work done. Plus I got a factory tour and got to examine all the various Scamps waiting to be picked up. No pressure to look quick, they were all unlocked and we were told sure go on inside - they will all be cleaned thoroughly before they are picked up. Was actually a fun morning.

If you're not up for the trip to the factory, I would assume any shop that worked on most any type of trailer could do the job. There's not really anything special about these axles, other than the fire precautions that need to be taken. Any reputable shop should be able to handle the job.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the reply. I would love to go to Scamp and have them do it right but it's just a bit too far for me. The fire thing you mentioned is another thing that also worries me.

I did come across a vintage travel trailer restoration place in Columbus, I might give them a call since they might have a little experience with scamp's.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Havink View Post
Lyle B by any chance do you live in FL. Or better question has anyone replaced their axle in Titusville, FL area and can recommend someone?
Don't know how far this is from you, but you might check out Red Neck Trailer: Redneck Trailer Supplies - Locations Details
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp