Scamp Brake Drums Not Centered? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Re-post of #14:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
He also said that I adjusted my brakes properly and they'll be a bit more grabby until things settle in.
That sounds reasonable. If the brakes have not been used for some time, the drum surface could be rusty and behave differently. They may also act differently after you adjusted them. It is good to adjust the brake controller at the beginning of every trip. They say get to 25 mph (on dry pavement) and activate the trailer brakes. If they lock, back off, if not, increase the voltage until they do, then back off, to be just a little below. My mechanic says "you will feel when the trailer is pushing you, or doing all the work". I am not sure I can tell because of my limited experience, but I am trying to watch how the rig reacts to whatever I do with it. The key is to drive so you always have plenty of room to slow down gently anyway. It is safe and reduces wear and tear - a double benefit.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Strange Paul. I get all your posts via email as I have my phone set up to notify me. So I did get your post that way. But when I go on the site via my phone, just the italics again. I closed out the site in my phone and reopened but same thing. Never had this before so must be something with my phone or this site using the mobile app.

Thank you for the instructions and support to all of you ( Harvey, Carol and you Paul. ). Lots of questions as this is my first summer with Scamper. I know, I'm so original with names.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

New York
Registry
I'll probably get in trouble for asking another unrelated question on this thread from the moderator, but we are already talking and you're all smart. One day I was scanning threads to learn and I thought I saw a post from Floyd about using black foam weatherstrip for around your Scamp door?

I ask because this is the last problem query I seen to have found this year. I have the gray stuff on my 2012 and it has peeled away in bottom near wood threshold of entryway. I see Scsmp sells kit for 8 bucks but is this the stuff or do you know if Floyd was talking of another you're aware of?

The marine fabric in the bottom of my door gets wet when it rains and I attribute this to the pulled away foam seal. Could always just glue it up with this outdoor loctite adhesive I bought, right?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #24

Colorado
The foam seal on the bottom of my door was half torn when I bought the Scamp early last year. When I visited Scamp last summer, somebody there suggested that I use the hollow black seal all the way around. I bought a long piece of it from them on the spot. It is possible that the foam would conform better, but it also tears easily and looks dirty most of the time.
The pictures show what I had to do to patch it; it is not the cleanest solution, but it works. The right hand side of the door has this steel hook that helps to keep the bottom of the door closed tight. That is where I had to use some thin white foam tape in layers until I got the dimensions right and also some white RTV (the evil silicone kind, I am afraid - sorry). Then I also used some tape on the surfaces that have a tendency to slide when opening and closing. So far that has kept the marine fabric (aka "rat fur" on this forum) pretty clean and dry even driving through a lot of rain. That tape is a thick nylon tape with strong adhesive that can be probably found in catalogs like MSC or Grainger. I had it for decades, got it once as a sample for cheap repair of slides (ways) in machinery.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0929.jpg   PICT0931.jpg  

Old 07-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #25

New York
Registry
Hi Paul,

I knew what kind of stuff you were referring to even before I saw your pics. However, went to Scamp site under tapes and trims and I don't see it listed in there.

Stopped at home today ( camping about 15 miles away) and picked up my loctite outdoor adhesive and dome goo gone to get rid of current goo. If I'm looking in wrong section in parts store at scamp would you please advise? I'm gonna try to fix this here while camping, till I hear from ya at least I can give this a shot. Don't like how rat fur on door lower gets wet.

And btw, don't worry. I'm not the silicone police. Due to accident, my trailers metal window frame took a bad ding and it was either that or a leaky window or deal with money and work of a new when silicone waterproofed dinged deal just fine. Smile.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I knew what kind of stuff you were referring to even before I saw your pics. However, went to Scamp site under tapes and trims and I don't see it listed in there.
If you call Scamp and ask for it they have it. They just do not list it in the on line parts department. I got it from them and so happy I did. Replaced the foam due it constantly drifting around the door about 4 times - so far the rubber one is about 2 years old and no problems - also looks better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #27

New York
Registry
Here's my glue job. The can Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405724576.062066.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	73814below aided in the work. . Hey Carol, what does Scamp call the stuff and did you take off the old adhesive with goo gone? Used a razor blade too and didn't get it all.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #28

Colorado
Hollow profile door gasket with the adhesive and the red release tape is what I would call it. And I am also surprised they do not have it in the on-line part store. If you had a piece of it you could probably match in an automotive parts store.
Did you roll it on with that can?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Here's my glue job. The can Attachment 73814below aided in the work. . Hey Carol, what does Scamp call the stuff and did you take off the old adhesive with goo gone? Used a razor blade too and didn't get it all.

Tell them you want the rubber D style weather stripping for around the door. You can buy it at automotive shops as well but I found the stuff on the shelfs there wasn't long enough to go around the whole door so would have to buy two packages - so cheaper to get from scamp the right length.

I pulled off the old foam stuff and was left with the clear adhesive strip. I heated that up and pulled off & scrapped off using a plastic putty knife what I could and then used goo gone - lots of it! let it sit for awhile before using a plastic scrapper to get the last of it off. Kept having to put more Goo Gone on it & let it sit. Once I got the majority of it off I then used one of those 3M thin green scotch bright pads - with lots of water going over the area pretty lightly to get the last of the gunk off and even a Magic Eraser cleaning pad to tidy it up before putting on the new stuff.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #30

New York
Registry
Thanks Carol. Did you heat up with a blow dryer?

Thanks Paul. In this particular application, the can was rolled against my lower lip. Tee hee. Thanks to you also Paul. I'll order tomorrow to have on hand.

One big piece for around the door and then a shorter for below the threshold right? I see from your post Paul that it comes with adhesive as that was something I was going to ask about.

One last question. Do I sort of stretch it when putting on or tension as product comes. Also, does it cut easily I. Case I screw up measurements? Oops that was several questions, of course.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #31

Colorado
They do have what they call "the complete kit", which shows two pieces, but you do not want the short piece of the open cell foam.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #32

Colorado
It all cuts nicely with scissors, but too short is too short. I would not stretch it at all when applying, these things tend to creep. Leave it long, peel the release tape a little by little and then cut when done.
Carol seems to indicate that you can ask for the hollow profile "D" and tell them to keep the short foam piece. Right?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
It all cuts nicely with scissors, but too short is too short. I would not stretch it at all when applying, these things tend to creep. Leave it long, peel the release tape a little by little and then cut when done.
Carol seems to indicate that you can ask for the hollow profile "D" and tell them to keep the short foam piece. Right?
I also cut mine after it was almost completely installed.

I used a heat gun I had on low and set a fair distance from the fiberglass but I think a hair dryer on high would work as well.

Paul I am trying to remember if it came with the shorter piece for the door or not - it may have but I am not near the house right to check my trailer bin of stuff now so can't confirm if it did or didn't. I do know I that I for sure did not install the lower door piece though as I had not long before replaced the lower door piece and it was still fine and could not be bothered to take it off and clean it all up again. I will have to at the end of this summer though as my new puppy decided to take a chunk out of it last week-end.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #34

New York
Registry
So I will give scamp both names you two have provided me with to be certain. Now if it comes in lengths that scamp cuts I'll give them my measurement length for around the door AND the lower threshold. Then, when done with around door, I'll cut with scissors and what I have left should be just right for lower threshold. Unless, Scamp cuts the pieces you need, going by their door kit lengths that they already sell for 8 bucks (which is the foam).

Tags
scamp