Scamp towed by CRV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Teardrop
I am considering renting a 13 ft. Scamp. My tow vehicle is a 2005 Honda CRV with a tow rating of 1500lbs. Do you think that it will to the job?
Vickie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Border line.
Depends on how much you put in the Scamp. Also I would NOT drive over 60 mph when towing. How far are you going?(Flat road- or Hills?)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You can tow a 13 foot if you watch your loading weight. I towed a 13 footer with an Element for a few years with no issues. It's basically the same rig.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Vickie,
As you can see in my profile pic, I tow my Compact II with a first generation CRV. My Compact is probably a hair lighter than a Scamp, but then my CRV isn't as powerful as yours either, and mine does fine with it's load. Keep in mind though, as others have mentioned, I go about 60mph, and I'm not climbing Mount Everest with it either! hehe

The words of wisdom that folks have already sent you are quite good, don't overload, don't drive like a speed demon, don't climb Mt Everest at 90mph, and you'll probably be fine.

Happy Trails!

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Hello Vickie,
I tow a 13' Perris Pacer (similar to Scamp, Boler, etc.) with an '05 Honda Element. The trailer doesn't have a bathroom, but tops out the Element's 1500lb towing limit. The combination tows great. Just make sure the trailer weight is balanced correctly (as with any trailer). I've driven this combination from WA to Glacier Nat'l Park, Yellowstone NP, and southern OR many times. Don't be afraid to go where you want to and see what you want to.

I can't advocate exceeding the speed limit, but a correctly balanced setup will handle just fine on the freeway "at speed". (Ask me how I know!......On second thought, don't ask. )

If your CRV is set up to tow the 1500, I say go for it. Get out there and have some fun.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!

Eric
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Burro 13 ft
Hi Vicki,
Your Scamp should have trailer brakes. The manual for my '06 Cr-V states brakes required over 1,000 lbs. You may want to check yours.

Honda's are great cars (have had several) but I find the brakes on 'em not to be their best feature....so I rather understand Honda's requirement on this. You can test this by simply loading your cr-v to the hilt and you'll notice a difference in braking.

So, in short, the Cr-v will pull it just fine.... just be careful in bringing it all to a stop!
LizP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp