Scamp Wireless Brake Controller $350 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2021 Scamp
Oregon
Scamp Wireless Brake Controller $350

Hi Everyone,

We're just about to put in an order for a 16' Scamp. One option I'm not sure about is a wireless break controller. It's $350. Is this something I could buy just as easy somewhere else and not get it though Scamp? I'm seeing it for much cheaper elsewhere, but not sure if the controller needs to be specific to the Scamp or not. Any thoughts on which way I should go?

Thanks,

Tom
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
There are a few makes... As best I know Scamp sells this one:
https://getautowbrake.com/
Is Scamps price fully installed on your vehicle if you need added wiring? (Its not really fully wireless).

Depending on your vehicle, its likely I would prefer a wired controller. And no, its not specific to Scamps.. brake controllers are for most any trailer with electric brakes.

If you have not even ordered the trailer yet then you have a very long time to research brake controllers..,and no doubt they can add the one at Scamp to your order just before pickup because there is nothing different in the trailer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
The Autowbrake is designed to be installed on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. It only requires a power connection from the Tow Vehicle in addition to the standard connections you get with a 4 wire connector. That is the advantage of it since you don't have to splice into the Tow Vehicle wiring at the brake switch (which can void wiring warranties). It also is smart enough to turn itself off if it detects a brake controller properly mounted in a Tow Vehicle. That's in case you borrow your friends pickup to tow or are stuck on the road and get a loaner Tow vehicle.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
The Autowbrake is designed to be installed on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. It only requires a power connection from the Tow Vehicle in addition to the standard connections you get with a 4 wire connector. That is the advantage of it since you don't have to splice into the Tow Vehicle wiring at the brake switch (which can void wiring warranties). It also is smart enough to turn itself off if it detects a brake controller properly mounted in a Tow Vehicle. That's in case you borrow your friends pickup to tow or are stuck on the road and get a loaner Tow vehicle.
Those are mostly the pros... but you didnt mention the cons.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

New Hampshire
What are the cons? It works proportionally like a wired controller. It works whether you have the wireless dongle or not. The wireless part of the controller is a dongle used to apply the brakes manually or to adjust their braking strength (which you probably wouldn't do while traveling). You can even wire it to get power from the trailer battery instead of the 12 volt connection from the 7 way connector (in an emergency where the 12 volt connection fails on the road).
Old 07-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
What are the cons? ...
To start with:
1. Cost.. about double the price for the hardware (although installation might be cheaper if your tug is not prewired for a controller).
2. The hand controller (key fob) is much harder to use in an emergency or sway situation than a nice mounted lever such as on the P3. That is if you can even find the little key fob when you need it.

If I were to use a "wireless" brake controller I think I would choose the Tekonsha one.

And lets be clear that using the trailer battery for the brake power is only for unforeseen emergency situations.

Further reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...berglassrv.com
Old 07-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I got the autowbrake controller installed by Scamp. I’m happy with it. Part of my satisfaction is that it was one less thing to take care of when I received my trailer in June 2019. Scamp put it in the forward cabinet hard mounted to the floor about as far forward as you can get. Secondly there were reports of knee knocker brake controllers damaging electronics In Subarus and other cars. I have a Subaru.

If you have a truck or want your tow vehicle to be fully capable of towing more than one thing, then definitely get a traditional controller. Otherwise do some research. The autowbrake is worth considering.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I got the autowbrake controller installed by Scamp. I’m happy with it. Part of my satisfaction is that it was one less thing to take care of when I received my trailer in June 2019. Scamp put it in the forward cabinet hard mounted to the floor about as far forward as you can get. Secondly there were reports of knee knocker brake controllers damaging electronics In Subarus and other cars. I have a Subaru.

If you have a truck or want your tow vehicle to be fully capable of towing more than one thing, then definitely get a traditional controller. Otherwise do some research. The autowbrake is worth considering.
Good post! If you have a Subbie or other vehicle that might not play well with with a tap added onto the brake switch, then wireless is a good option to consider. If your tow vehicle is pre-wired for a brake controller (as any "truly" tow ready vehicle would be), then no way I would go with AuTowBrake or any "wireless" controller. If neither of those clear-cut cases apply then it pays to do the research and do what it best in your situation.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2021 Scamp
Oregon
Hi All,

I’m confused how this works. I have 4 pin wiring. Scamp says I need to rewire to 7 pin wiring and get a brake controller.

Do I need to rewire to 7 pin if I use a wireless brake controller?

If I do need to rewire to a 7 pin, what are the pros and cons of a wired vs wireless brake controller?

Thank you!

Tom
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My 2013 Tacoma, being a truck that I bought with the tow package, had the bumper hitch and the 7 pin connector in the back, and also a standard connector for use with a brake controller. The only problem at that time was that I could not find the connector - it was somewhere above the left foot space, behind the plastic covers. I actually went back to the Toyota dealer to have them pull it out for me so I could connect. After that it was easy. As pointed out above, $300 is way too much for a brake controller. I got mine for, IIRC, $130 or so (early 2013). It is worth doing some research on this.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #11

New Hampshire
Tom, what vehicle do you have? Whether you need a full 7-pin connection depends upon what type of controller you get and how old your trailer is. A wired one will definitely need all 7 pins. A wireless one may need fewer. If your trailer has backup lights, that is another pin that needs to be active. I can tell you that the Autowbrake installed in a trailer with no backup lights only needs 5 pins connected, the four you are talking about and the 12 volt power pin. If you have an older tow vehicle then by all means get a wired controller with a 7 pin connector. I have a Subaru and it was almost new at the time so I didn't want to risk hacking into the wiring for the brake pedal.

Confusing isn't it!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
wireless brake controller

When I purchased my used 19' Scamp this last year, I evaluated my brake controller options... I was looking for a proportional (vs. time delay) controller. I was able to get a Curt Echo wireless proportional brake controller for a bit less than $200 off of ebay. The best my local installer was going to do for me was a wired time delay controller for $265. I went with the Echo.
RaceEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Not having any idea as to how a wireless one works,
I think a wired one would be more foolproof. Hard wiring is more reliable that radio signals through the air. see below*
And yes, it requires a 7 pin connector.
The controller, mounted under the dash, is activated as soon as you move the brake pedal. (it's connected to the switch that turns on your brake lights).
Then, as you decelerate, it senses that and applies the trailer brakes proportionately. You adjust the gain so the trailer brakes do NOT lock up, even on a panic stop.

*OK, it's only the "key fob" of the Autobrake that is wireless. The unit mounted on the trailer is wired to the brake light circuit, the battery, and brakes.
I wonder if it will drain down the trailer battery? And requires a battery to power it.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
*OK, it's only the "key fob" of the Autobrake that is wireless. The unit mounted on the trailer is wired to the brake light circuit, the battery, and brakes.
I wonder if it will drain down the trailer battery? And requires a battery to power it.
You can wire it with a relay so when the lights are on the power is fed to the Autowbrake. That way it uses the 12 volts coming from the tow vehicle instead of the trailer battery. That also will prevent it from draining the Tow Vehicle battery if that isn't wired to disconnect when the vehicle is off.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The "wireless" brake controllers and the trailer's brakes are powered by the tow vehicle. The trailer battery should not be used to power them (except for a break-away switch).

So as soon as you unplug the 7-pin (or an ignition triggered relay is deactivated), the controller is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceEasy View Post
... I evaluated my brake controller options... I was looking for a proportional (vs. time delay) controller. ..
Indeed, no one here should even consider purchasing a time-delay controller.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #16

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
I purchased one from e-trailer.com. It was cheaper and works wonderfully.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #17

Name: Galen
Trailer: Scamp 16
Kansas
Registry
2nding the CURT echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceEasy View Post
When I purchased my used 19' Scamp this last year, I evaluated my brake controller options... I was looking for a proportional (vs. time delay) controller. I was able to get a Curt Echo wireless proportional brake controller for a bit less than $200 off of ebay. The best my local installer was going to do for me was a wired time delay controller for $265. I went with the Echo.
My trailer supplier had the echo in stock as I discovered my vehicle did not have a brake controller; and I didn't hesitate to buy it for under $200. The setup was flawless with my smartphone, allowing on the fly adjustment, and it retains the most recent setting permanently if you don't reopen the phone app. Best, I can use it on any future vehicle, thus maybe saving me hundreds...
fastdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 1986 scamp 13 i used the Tekonsha unit. You plug your 7 pin coupler in the back and plug tht 7 pin lead into your truck your done. Plug the hand unit into the power socket on the dash and your done. Allot of new cars just too compact and difficult to hang a brake controller without being in the way or poorly mounted i have used this controller in my 3 personal cars saved allot of insall hassels and it has worked flawlessly for 6 years now. There are no downsides. In a panic situation the hand unit sits by my side with panic button right on the left right where my thumb hits it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Good post! If you have a Subbie or other vehicle that might not play well with with a tap added onto the brake switch, then wireless is a good option to consider. If your tow vehicle is pre-wired for a brake controller (as any "truly" tow ready vehicle would be), then no way I would go with AuTowBrake or any "wireless" controller. If neither of those clear-cut cases apply then it pays to do the research and do what it best in your situation.
The only thing wireless about it is the set up!! Otherwise it is wired~
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp