Scamp wiring connector pin-out? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp wiring connector pin-out?

What is the correct pin-out on a 2012 13’ Scamp? The connector on the Scamp is a standard 7-conductor blade type, but Scamp’s online manual illustrates wiring for a J560 7-conductor pin-type connector. My new tug (a 2015 Toyota Tacoma) came with a tow package that includes a 7-conductor blade type receptacle which would accept the plug on the Scamp. Blade-type and pin-type connectors are similar but they’re not compatible - they look like this:

Blade type 7-Way
/ \ Tail / Power
| O | Left / Backup /Right
\ / GND / Brakes

J560 Pin type 7-Way
O GND
o o Tail / Backup
o Brakes
o o Right / Left
o Power

I suppose that I could just plug the Scamp into my truck and see what works, but it’s cold and raining and it’s much more comfortable to sit indoors and ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Hobo
hobofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If Scamp shows a pin configuration and there is a blade type installed, it sounds like a P.O. may have changed the connector, in which case what "the experts" think has little if any value and can only be a guess.

I think all will be known when you plug it in. I have very seldom found a mis-wire in blade to blade connections, but there can always be a first time.

And, if you have been following recent posts about Scamp, hard telling when they changed to blade connectors, much less when the manual will match what's sold.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks Bob! That was pretty much what I was expecting. I doubt that the previous owner changed anything - in fact, I doubt that they ever took it out of their driveway. I was surprised that the Scamp manual illustrated the wrong connector, but I'll figure things out after it stops raining. Or snowing. Yuck.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Your 2012 Scamp came with a standard 7 blade RV connector.
They used the pin type a couple of decades ago, the old manual was placed online without correcting it. My 2004 has the same error in the printed owners manual.
Attached Thumbnails
7-way1.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I have attached a copy of the page Scamp provides when you buy a new 5er. They e-mailed it to me when I had an electrical fire last winter.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Minnesota
The photo did not attach.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks Floyd - I wish Scamp would keep the manual a bit more current.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Thank you Dennis! Exactly what I wanted!

I hope the weather is better in Minnesota than it is in Wisconsin.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobofoto View Post
Thank you Dennis! Exactly what I wanted!

I hope the weather is better in Minnesota than it is in Wisconsin.
You're getting the weather we had yesterday. I didn't complain because we needed the rain.

I also bought a new tow vehicle this spring that also had the tow package. Next week the fifth wheel rails should arrive and be installed, and I can modify the Scamp hitch to fit the Reese Rails. Then I'm rewiring the trailer including a new cable from the the truck.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

Note that the color codes and pins in the two examples shown do not agree with each other. I have always use the color code and pins that Floyd posted and that always matches with a 7 pin light checker that I can plug into the TV's outlet.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Note that the color codes and pins in the two examples shown do not agree with each other. I have always use the color code and pins that Floyd posted and that always matches with a 7 pin light checker that I can plug into the TV's outlet.
The pin usage appears to be the same between the two diagrams, therefore, your pin light checker should work with either. I don't know why Scamp uses a non standard color code, but I'm pretty sure that Scamp's diagram matches my trailer.

I just checked the pin/color code of the trailer side preassembled cable. It matches the Scamp arrangement and color code!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Both Casita and Scamp at one time used the "Heavy duty Truck" plug and color coding that used round pins.
But at least as far back as our 1999 Casita has been using the newer "Standard RV" color coding where "GREEN" has been tail and running lights and has flat pins.
One of the manuals on the Casita Forum had until recently the older incorrect color coding shown also. (there are two and they now both are correct)

What Floyd shows is the "heavy duty truck" color coding and not the current RV STANDARD color coding that is what

What Dennis shows is the RV STANDARD color coding used as least as far back as 1999 on Casita trailers and is shown in the Casita manual correctly.

I can't say what scamp uses now or then
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Registry
FYI The pin out is "industry standard". Meaning that you can find the colors and pin location in many many places. It takes a quick google search to find it. I don't know when it introduced as industry standard. But it's been in use at least since 2005, my 2005 truck was factory wired with this standard. If you were wiring a connector today this standard should be used. STANDARD is the key word.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #14

RE: Color Code

Just yesterday I finished wiring up tail and running lights on a trailer and, using all new wire and lights, here is what I found:

The left tail light had a brown and a yellow wire (Tail + Left Stop/Turn)
The right tail light had a brown and a green wire (Tail + Right Stop/Turn)
The 4-Flat wire I used was pre-stamped the entire length of the wire as follows:

White = Ground
Brown = Tail
Yellow = Left Stop/Turn
Green = Right Stop/Turn

This ran to a j-box to meet up with the pre-wired 7 pin cable & connector from the TV, and matching color to color there everything worked perfectly.

The fact that two different color codes exist is confusing, but I will stick with the code that Floyd posted.

This is not to say which one is OLD or NEW, but this is the color code that wire and lighting manufacturers appear to be using.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks Joe - I was confused by the pinout listed in the current Scamp Users' Manual. It still shows the old heavy duty (J560) connector, although my 2012 Scamp has the standard RV 7-pin connector. The manual page is outdated.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #16

Go to the following link and scroll down a little and you will find there are 3 7 pin standards.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

RV Standard 7 pin (flat pins)

Traditional 7 Pin (flat pins)

Heavy duty 7 pin (round pins)

As I stated Casita has used the RV standard at least as far back as 1999.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #17

Here's another one to throw in the mix. I made this from my 2010 Scamp.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...posted-public/
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

Thanks for that post to the eTrailer site
I now see why there is a difference of opinion on the wire colors. So much for a "Standard" when one has to be different from the other for no apparent reason.

The sub-lesson here is if one buys a new, pre-wired, 7 lead pigtail, that the colors may or may not match your trailers existing wiring. The one I just bought from an RV dealer matches the "Traditional" color code, not the "RV Standard" color code.

Somehow I think that there are lot more non-RV trailers out there than towable RV's, so why the need to reinvent a perfectly good wheel?

Back before my time, Henry Ford's cars had at least one nut size that was a non-standard size, hence the need for a "Ford Wrench".

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #19

Darrell.

To me that looks like the "RV Standard" plug unless I missed something.

One good thing about it is the automobile and truck industry for the most part use the RV standard on the TV end of it.

Or at least on my Jeep and Silverado

I've bought two 7 pin pig tails, a Hopkins at Wally world and an 8 foot Bargman I ordered on line and they both used the RV standard that seems to designate 3 different size wires for different things.
Or at least Jeeps and Silverado trucks

My original was a Bargman, all 3 cables followed the same color scheme a wire gauge.

10 gauge for battery and ground.
12 gauge for the brake line.
14 gauge for all the lights.

Tags
scamp