Shackles - Squeaks and Creaks - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Stu
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Shackles - Squeaks and Creaks

Suspension on my '03 21Rb Bigfoot has been getting very noisy so I took it apart. Looks like the inside of the shackles are rubbing on the leaf spring eye. Some metal has even been gouged out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just starting to research what the best approach to rebuild it so it is quieter. Maybe wet bolt kit? However, even with the wet bolts it seems there is going to be metal on metal contact between the leaf spring eye and shackle. Should there be some sort of nylon washer between? Or would it just get chewed up in a short time?

Would something like this Dexter Heavy-Duty Suspension Kit https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-449-00.html be worth it? This particular one wouldn't work because the axle spacing is for 35" and mine is 31". Also, the equalizer is only 2 7/8" tall which would make the suspension lower. I'd like a couple of inches of lift. I've thought about an axle swap but that would be over 4" (according to my calcs), a little more than I want. Do people ever lift trailers by installing higher equalizers? i.e. my equalizer is about 3 3/4" high now. If it was 5 3/4" wouldn't that give me about 2" of lift?

I'm not totally sold on the need for the wet bolts. I've never had wet bolts on any of the leaf springs on pick-up trucks and they last for >100k miles.

Thanks for any insight.

PS: I guess they installed the suspension before they put the tanks in. The left rear leaf spring bolt is right up against the tank. That bolt will be remaining as-is because I ain't taking the tanks out to put a wet bolt in

South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
The Dexter Heavy Duty kit is what is needed in your case. I installed the kit on my Oliver and it is far better than the lousy plastic bushings that wear out and allow metal to metal grinding.

I highly recommend the HD Kit, and at the same time I think the cheap factory setup is pretty bad, and not worthy of a nice fiberglass trailer. It's a shortcut the factories take to save a few bucks.

Oliver finally got a clue and went to greaseable suspension, but they took it to the unnecessary next level of installing the EZ Flex, which is the HD kit, plus a rubber bushing arrangement in the equalizer. That part is not needed with soft travel trailer suspension.

So, yes! Get the Dexter HD kit. Point the zerks to where you can reac them easily and get a good grease gun. There are many good greases, but I can suggest Lucas Red-and-Tacky. You can use it for the wheel bearings too.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

Oregon
Thumbs up

Thanks for the come-back. I found this heavy duty MORryde shackle kit on Amazon that should work for my application.
Has good reviews https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRICH2...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Doesn't come with new equalizers like the Dexter, but only $100.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Smith Valley, Nevada
Stu,

That is a nice kit, but it is not complete. The equalizers need greaseable bushings too. The Dexter kit, as you know, gives you new heavy duty equalizers and bronze bushings.

I suppose you could drill the existing equalizers and add zerks to them. Maybe even find bronze bushings for them. I have seen replacement plastic bushing kits too.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

Oregon
Smile

I count 14 bolts and bushings in the kit (?). I think that should account for putting a bushing and wet bolt at the top of the existing equalizers, but correct me if my math is wrong I did notice that on the Dexter kit it had a zerk built into the top equalizer bolt but I'm thinking just using a wet bolt should be just as good? Maybe better since I think you'd want the grease on the inside of the bushing? Maybe the hole goes through the bushing? Anyways, for $100 more it doesn't seem worth it to me, unless the MORryde is inferior metal or something.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #6

Oregon
Thumbs up

Wanted to follow-up. The MORryde shackle kit from Amazon for $98 worked great - no more squeaks or creaks. Some of the old bushings were very worn so it was no wonder

Old 08-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
It's irritating that companies will build really nice trailers, designed to last many years, and cover many thousands of miles, but then support them on junk suspension equipment that cannot last.