Should We have Concerns About Clearances on a 21' Bigfoot? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Sprung-over or sprung-under are both legitimate ways of attaching axles. Most domestic vehicles are sprung-under, and a common way of lifting them is switch the spring to sprung-over. Over or under being in reference to the axle. My truck was built with the springs over the axle. It seems to only be in the trailer world that people refer to this as an "axle flip".

So lifting a trailer is the same as lifting a truck, more or less. There are more and less safe ways to do it, and more and less safe heights to lift it to. At some point you're way too top heavy and the trailer's going to tip over. I've seen people here get a straight axle and put the springs over the axle, giving them over 6" of lift. At least up to this point, none of them have posted about it if their trailer tipped over.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: IN the market
MN
I picked up my 21FB Nov 1 this year. The generator mount is definitely the low point. I'd go out and measure it except its below zero here in Minnesota and I'm a wuss.
John in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Do not flip a drop axle. Swap it for a straight axle. Spring under or spring over axle for max lift. I went spring under and it is fine for bc forest service sites and I don't need a step ladder to get in and out of it.
John AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I used to have a 21 Bigfoot and never had a problem with clearances
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #25

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
If buying new ,no reason Bigfoot Industries won't do that for you if ordered new. I may stand corrected but all the newer Bigfoots come with bigger wheels ( a bit bigger) and straight axles. If I remember correctly the drop axle was only on the 19 ft Bigfoot Spiritwing and maybe the 17 footers and possibly some of the older 5th wheels.
If all the BG had the higher setup then there would be those that said it was too high and would want the lower ....Can never satisfy everyone.
I did the axle flip on my '98 21ft myself ; the cost was new U bolts.
My 2018 17.5 has the drop axle. I'm sure there are many campers out there that pretty much do pavement or gravel only. The lower ride is more stable, and less wind resistance.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #26

British Columbia
Please research how axles are built. Most axles including straight ones have a slight curve in the pipe running between the two wheels. It is very important to have this curve set properly. Thus you cannot take a spring under axle and make it a spring over without moving the spring perches. Pretty simple just do your homework.
John AA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot