Slow Tow? Let 'em Pass! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Slow Tow? Let 'em Pass!

My 4-cyl. Kia Sportage TV perfectly suits my Meandering Cheapskate nature. It's good to me at the pump, and its towing speed sweetspot of 50-60 mph lets me savor the passing scene.
However.
! I am not the only vehicle on the road !
Many drivers are in a hurry to get "there", and I don't want to slow them down if I can help it. The presence behind me of an irritated person at the controls of a 3,000 pound missile is a nervewracking diversion from an otherwise pleasant afternoon. I'm always on the watch in my rearviews for approaching vehicles, and wave them by at the first opportunity.
I'm a lot more comfortable watching them disappear over the horizon than with them "pacing" behind me!
Still, sometimes there's a bit of a wait until a safe place to let them by appears. In an effort to give them a chuckle while they're stuck back there, I added a Spokesturtle to the back of the trailer. The message it's intended to convey is that I know I'm slow, I know they're back there, and I'll let them by when I can.
It seems to work pretty well. I get lots of thank you waves, and none of- well, the other kind!

Francesca

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Trillium Turtle 001.jpg Views: 29 Size: 408.2 KB ID: 35565" style="margin: 2px" /> Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Trillium Turtle 002.jpg Views: 23 Size: 197.0 KB ID: 35566" style="margin: 2px" />
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I'm with you Francesca.
If I'm impeding even one vehicle I pull over as soon as possible.
I live about 40 miles east of Bakersfield Ca. near Lake Isabella which is a major weekend and summer attraction. It's also an entrance to the Sequoia National Forest.
Hiway 178 goes up through the Kern River Canyon which is a narrow, twisty road with spectacular scenery and steep drop offs down to the river.
Locals dread the weekends and summer because of the rude drivers of mohos and travel trailers.
The narrow part is only about 15 miles long but it seems much longer when you are #17 in line behind a trailer or Moho going 22 miles an hour and then slowing down on the curves.
The sad thing is there are at least 3 turn outs long enough to pull into that you only have to slow down and not stop plus many other shorter pull outs.
I was about #17 in line behind a 16 or 17' Casira last Friday who was enjoying the scenery and going about 20 to 25 MPH.
Local drivers have no problem driving safely at around 50 mph on major portions of the canyon. I safely tow my 16' Scamp at 45 and 50 MPH up major portions of the canyon.
Most locals understand the apprenhension of drivers not used to Mtn. driving. We also understand the desire to enjoy the magnificent scenery. We would appreciate if you would enjoy the scenery in ONE of the MANY pullouts.
Myself and others were giving the offensive, rude person with the Casita the "other kind of wave" when we were able to pass after we got out of the Canyon.
PLEASE remember to be considerate and pull over when you are restricting the flow of traffic behind you. It will be greatly appreciated.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Déjà vu... all over again. Smile. I used to be an incredibly impatient driver. I dreaded seeing an RV ahead of me and would look for any stretch of road where I could squeeze by. Then I bought my Trillium... and my Scangauge II to monitor fuel consumption. Now... I'm one of THEM... I usually drive at 55 on highways that have multiple lanes and maintain the speed limit on roads with a lower speed limit. If I'm impeding traffic I either pull over or speed up; I can maintain 65 easily if I am prepared to burn the gas. However, I have found that it really doesn't seem to matter if I'm maintaining the speed limit or not. Most drivers don't like to be behind an RV... just in case it may slow them down. I am regularly passed by cars that I'm not holding up. I used to be a lot more concerned than I am now. I know most drivers want to pass; that's reality. Enjoy yourself. Be safe. Be courteous. You can't please everyone. Don't 'wave' back.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I live about 40 miles east of Bakersfield Ca. near Lake Isabella which is a major weekend and summer attraction. It's also an entrance to the Sequoia National Forest.
Hiway 178 goes up through the Kern River Canyon which is a narrow, twisty road with spectacular scenery and steep drop offs down to the river.
Locals dread the weekends and summer because of the rude drivers of mohos and travel trailers.
Perry J what a trip back in time you just gave me. I have driven that road a number of times. My Aunt and Uncle who used to live in Bakersfield moved to Kernville to retire. What a great hiking and fishing area. My Aunt became ill and they had to move to a retirement home Turlock Ca. But they still had many good years living Kernville

The last time I drove that road was in 1982. Do they still have the sign up that tracks the number of drowning in the Kern river?
RichardinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Déjà vu... all over again. Smile. I used to be an incredibly impatient driver. I dreaded seeing an RV ahead of me and would look for any stretch of road where I could squeeze by. Then I bought my Trillium... and my Scangauge II to monitor fuel consumption. Now... I'm one of THEM... I usually drive at 55 on highways that have multiple lanes and maintain the speed limit on roads with a lower speed limit. If I'm impeding traffic I either pull over or speed up; I can maintain 65 easily if I am prepared to burn the gas. However, I have found that it really doesn't seem to matter if I'm maintaining the speed limit or not. Most drivers don't like to be behind an RV... just in case it may slow them down. I am regularly passed by cars that I'm not holding up. I used to be a lot more concerned than I am now. I know most drivers want to pass; that's reality. Enjoy yourself. Be safe. Be courteous. You can't please everyone. Don't 'wave' back.
Barrie

I can relate, to both sides of the story. I usually try to get past a trailer not because it slows me down (though it does) but because I can't see well enough when behind a trailer. I try to pass big trucks and other vehicles blocking my view for the same reason. I only get upset when the driver seems to be deliberately making it difficult to get by.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
I finally took my camper on its maiden voyage last week. I did notice it took a little more to get up to speed but when I was towing it down the highway I didn't even notice it was there. I was in the 60-65mph range most of the time but I also took it over 75mph a couple of times and it was trailering great. I do have a question about using the cruise control. Does anyone use it or not? Is it a bad idea? Why or why not? I was mostly on 4 lane highways. I was in the second lane from the left most of the time. It allowed the people merging onto and off the exits plenty of running room without adjusting for me and I found the people who were behind me just went around in the fast lane. Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I try not to go over 70 with the 5er. It depends on the highway also. It's easy to get away with the speed on the Tundra.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinBC View Post
Perry J what a trip back in time you just gave me. I have driven that road a number of times. My Aunt and Uncle who used to live in Bakersfield moved to Kernville to retire. What a great hiking and fishing area. My Aunt became ill and they had to move to a retirement home Turlock Ca. But they still had many good years living Kernville

The last time I drove that road was in 1982. Do they still have the sign up that tracks the number of drowning in the Kern river?
Hi Richard,
The death signs are still up at both ends of the canyon, both in English and Spanish. As soon as school is out the Highway Dept. augments the printed signs with the large portable electric highway signs.
I'm afraid this will be a very bad year for swimmers in the Kern River. The lake is full and there is still a great amount of snow in the High Sierras.
The River is going to be running very high and fast all summer.
I sympathize with your parents. Turlock is nice does not compare to Kernville. Before I retired my home was in Atwater, not far from Turlock.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I do have a question about using the cruise control. Does anyone use it or not? Is it a bad idea? Why or why not?
I depend upon my Cruise Control, especially when towing to keep my speed constant. My legs get too strained trying to hold one position for several hours.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I use my cruise control if I'm driving in relatively flat terrain. As with Frederick, my right leg/ankle/foot can't maintain the strain for extended periods. If I'm driving in varied terrain I look for flat areas that I can engage the cruise even for a short time.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...My phsycriatic nerve gives me grief too!!! It's worse when the guy behind seems to need a couch session as well.
The bumper sticker on the back of our 5.0 reads " I go where I'm towed to"!!! And believe me I've been "towed"
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #12

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
When I'm towing a trailer, I certainly don't let some 16-year-old behind me determine my speed. My dad used to have a good way to keep people from tailgating... it involved tossing progressively larger items out the window. He once threw an entire six-pack of beer out the sunroof. He has calmed down a bit in his old age, though.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #13

Registry
We share the same philosophy- I don't think it's up to me to determine anybody's speed but my own.
That's why I let the folks behind me pass!

Francesca
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Perry that road is a fine example of a hard road to drive if one is not familiar with it. It has been greatly improved over the years. For many years we kept a trailer up in Kernville to avoid having to tow that road from the west or east.

We have not driven it in 3 years. The signage for the "pull outs" were not very good and neither were most of the "pull outs". By the time one sees the signs it was to late to safely slow down enough to maneuver into the mostly very small areas with a drop off the pavement. Our truck and trailer did not safely fit in most of the areas. A few were bigger and paved and did not have the drop off but were not marked any different than the smaller ones.

Then there used to be the issue of the cliffs hanging over the road with big scraps on them from being hit by semis or motor homes.

I really love the area and the people there, we miss being able to just run up for the weekend.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Talking Scary Road

I agree with everyone that Kernville is a wonderful spot. Havent towed our Cardinal up there yet but dont imagine it could be any worse then the road off of 395 @ Pearsonville that goes up to Kennedy and Troy Meadows. I think the next time I would try from the Kernville side of the mtn. Our trailer likes me to keep at about 60 mph and I try hard to be courteous to drivers behind me.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Francesca,
Where did you get your turtle? I'd like to add one to the back of the Cardinal. I have several stickers on the back of the trailer and think of them as something the drivers behind me can read until I can get over. Fred has great signage too.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Francesca,
Where did you get your turtle? I'd like to add one to the back of the Cardinal. I have several stickers on the back of the trailer and think of them as something the drivers behind me can read until I can get over. Fred has great signage too.
The turtle came from what we call "Chez Cheap": the Dollar Tree.
It cost a dollar!
Since their inventory changes so often (as a regular customer, I know!), I bought two at the same time so I'd have a replacement.
That was four years ago, and I still have the extra one. I'm actually surprised it's lasted so long, though I did coat it with UV- resistant polyurethane before I stuck it on the trailer with Liquid Nails. Maybe that's helped to preserve it.
It's hard to know if you could still find one at Chez Cheap, but since it was being sold as "Garden Art", this time of year would be a good time to look.

Francesca
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I do have a question about using the cruise control. Does anyone use it or not? Is it a bad idea? Why or why not? Randy
I always use cruise control on the highway, unless I am on a hill that makes it work too hard. I find that I am unable to maintain a constant speed for long stretches of time without it. As for speed, I tow between 100 and 105 KPH on the highway (65 MPH at most), or the speed limit when it is lower. Never had a problem with the vehicle, although I formerly pulled a sticky trailer with the same minivan where the van would overheat if I went more than 90 KPH for more than a couple of minutes. One of the many reasons I like the fiberglass ones better.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Fred has great signage too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
When I'm towing a trailer, I certainly don't let some 16-year-old behind me determine my speed.
I agree. My cruise control is always set to 55; even on I-20 in Texas, and I stay in the far right lane. I rarely have problems; people readily go around me without incident.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0438.jpg   100_0362.jpg  

Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I agree. My cruise control is always set to 55; even on I-20 in Texas, and I stay in the far right lane. I rarely have problems; people readily go around me without incident.
I'm with Frederick.
One point that is often missed maybe 2.
1. Most trailer tires are rated for 65mph MAXIMUM.
2. Some states have 55mph towing speeds and some aren't posted.

I saw a bumper sticker that I thought about getting one like it. "I'm retired go around me"

Tags
passing, slow, speed