Smallest Car that can tow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It's not the smallest, but I'd take a look at the Jeep Patriot. The engine oil cooler gives 2000 pound towing capacity, and it gets very good mileage with the manual transmission (if it's not a problem for you).
Rémi A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking for a newer vehicle, my current is a 2000 Honda Civic, but I'm looking for something that will be good on fuel AND can tow my 13' Boler, up north never more than 5 hour drive.

I really like TDI's, but I'm thinking that won't quite do it. Google is useless for finding an official towing capacity, but I'm wondering if anyone would know if the jetta wagon would do it? The mk4s. My budget is around $5000.

Suggestions?
I am going to put a hitch on my 2011 TDI wagon and pull my surfside and I don't think it's a problem, google small cars pulling caravans and you'll be surprised at what they pull.
kelly p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
No more tow vehicles for me!

I'm gettin' the retrofit kit that makes this possible
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #24
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Now that looks practical.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking for a newer vehicle, my current is a 2000 Honda Civic, but I'm looking for something that will be good on fuel AND can tow my 13' Boler, up north never more than 5 hour drive.

I really like TDI's, but I'm thinking that won't quite do it. Google is useless for finding an official towing capacity, but I'm wondering if anyone would know if the jetta wagon would do it? The mk4s. My budget is around $5000.

Suggestions?
You are talking about a very light trailer 1300 many cars can do the job.
I do beleive though trailer brakes are a good idea for any load over 500 lbs though. The 1300 should only need a class 1 hitch and maybe a sway bar setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Smallest Car That Can Tow????
Attached Thumbnails
ernie.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #27

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
The smallest car that can tow?

Saw this at Yellowstone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0829.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #28

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Smallerst towing vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail & Tom O. View Post
Saw this at Yellowstone.
Good joke, but Smart Fortwo are limited to VERY light towing capacity due to VERY flimsy rear bumper steel inserts into a light aluminium bumper.

Really, you must consider the maximum gross weight of your trailer (fully loaded max autorized weight) and find a matched vehicle for this load with a professionnaly installed hitch. Your car insurance will not cover if your trailer overloads the towing vehicle. Preferably you should look for electric brakes and a proportionnal brake controller (not just ON/OFF). The lighter and the shorter the towing vehicle, the more you will need anti-sway bar and electric brakes.

Towing capacity is often considerably increased by adding an automatic transmission cooler. Transmission internal plastic bushings willl otherwise overheat and fail prematurely. This will provide the towing power, but not the stopping power you need. Towing rating often specify that it requires independent brakes on the trailer: go ahead and read the fine prints of the specs !!! Another advantage of adding brakes on the trailer is that the towing vehicle brakes will last considerably longer. If you are towing for any significant distance in hills, independent brakes on the RV will pay for itself within a couple of seasons.

Good luck

Martin
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #29

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
Good joke, but Smart Fortwo are limited to VERY light towing capacity due to VERY flimsy rear bumper steel inserts into a light aluminium bumper.

Really, you must consider the maximum gross weight of your trailer (fully loaded max autorized weight) and find a matched vehicle for this load with a professionnaly installed hitch. Your car insurance will not cover if your trailer overloads the towing vehicle. Preferably you should look for electric brakes and a proportionnal brake controller (not just ON/OFF). The lighter and the shorter the towing vehicle, the more you will need anti-sway bar and electric brakes.

Towing capacity is often considerably increased by adding an automatic transmission cooler. Transmission internal plastic bushings willl otherwise overheat and fail prematurely. This will provide the towing power, but not the stopping power you need. Towing rating often specify that it requires independent brakes on the trailer: go ahead and read the fine prints of the specs !!! Another advantage of adding brakes on the trailer is that the towing vehicle brakes will last considerably longer. If you are towing for any significant distance in hills, independent brakes on the RV will pay for itself within a couple of seasons.

Good luck

Martin
Well yes, obviously the trailer fits the vehicle. I just thought it was remarkable to see this rig. We tow our 17ft EggCamper with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It was perfect for the 7882 miles of our maiden trip in the EggCamper.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hybrid

" We tow our 17ft EggCamper with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It was perfect for the 7882 miles of our maiden trip in the EggCamper. "

GailO,

What kind of mileage did you get towing with the Toyota Highland Hybrid?

Thank you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #31

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
" We tow our 17ft EggCamper with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It was perfect for the 7882 miles of our maiden trip in the EggCamper. "

GailO,

What kind of mileage did you get towing with the Toyota Highland Hybrid?

Thank you
I am sorry we didn't bother to record that, but next time we go I will. We are planning another drive to California & Oregon, with Eggboy in the winter.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #32

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail & Tom O. View Post
Saw this at Yellowstone.
We towed with a 2003 Toyota Echo 4 door sedan 1.6L for over 5 years and class I hitch just kept the load under 1000 lbs and no problems

Sway bar plate, proportional brakes and transaxle cooler are all very good ideas

Old draw bar with sway bar plate used with Echo cost about $110 with small ball plus extra for friction sway bar unit

P.S. Loved the milage! towing
Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #33

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Towing my '81 13' Casita w/ a 2002 Civic EX Coupe.

Couple significant points that help:

We WILL be adding brakes to the Casita. (Just picked it up last weekend.)

We have a MANUAL Transmission, so not the same concerns there as automatic as far as overloading the trans, overheating it, etc.

The EX Model of this year Civic (at least the coupe) w/ the manual trans. has shorter gearing (higher revs at a given speed), so it's got more oomph up hills.

We did OK up some pretty steep/long hills, but had to drop it down to 4th for those. Put about 100 miles on this weekend bringing the Casita to where we were tent camping from the prev. owner, and then home from there. Only issue was a fair amount of bucking from rear suspension over certain bump scenarios. (Not uncommon on WI roadsaccording to RV magazine I read!) I also suspect a higher hitch ball (in the works) and or new shocks (Current ones are getting worn) may help.

On the interstate, had it up to 70, but we cruised around 64-65.

Best guess so far is that MPG went from 35-36 Hwy to about 27 w/ the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Civic with Casita.jpg  
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We tow with a 2004 Honda CRV with a manual transmission, towing a 1991 Scamp 16 and reguarly get 22-23 mpg. We now have about 200,000 miles on the CRV. It has been very strong. Our non-normal repairs include a thermostat and a fan. We have made two loops of the USA, getting ready for our third, plus over a good part of Canada.

I know there was a thread about by guy from Texas that towed with a Honda Fit with a manual transmission.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita
Smallest car??

Maybe this one.
Attached Thumbnails
mini.jpg  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #36

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In Germany the govt sets trailer towing capacities as well as approves even the design of trailer hitches. That said, the 36 HP VW Bug was certified to tow the 12' Eriba Puck Fiberglass & Aluminum trailers,

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #37

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
I saw a Smart car pulling a cargo trailer a little longer & wider than the Smart car & about 4 feet taller. Both the Smart car & trailer were wrapped & advertising some kind of smart battery or eco-friendly lawnmowing something.

I think that might beat out the Mini.

Edit: Got motivated to Google it... http://mowsmart.com/Why_Choose_MowSm..._mowsmart.html
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita
Mini

That mini was back when I had a 16' SD. Since I got the 17'SD I'm towing with an F150.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #39

Name: Maynard
Trailer: want 13' fully contained
Utah
toyota solara v6 tows my pontoon boat

My small pontoon boat weighs near 1800 lbs. depending, like a trailer, how much stuff one carries on it. This has been towed long distances with my 05 Totoya Solara v6 and it tows it like a breeze here in the Rocky Mountains up and down
six percent grades to elevations over 10,000 feet. I sometimes take it out of OD.l

I am looking for a Casita or Scamper 13 or 16 to drive the Alaska Hiway again.
Does anyone know of a good well contained unit I could buy for cash.
Elcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #40

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
I saw a Smart car pulling a cargo trailer a little longer & wider than the Smart car & about 4 feet taller. Both the Smart car & trailer were wrapped & advertising some kind of smart battery or eco-friendly lawnmowing something.

I think that might beat out the Mini.

Edit: Got motivated to Google it... http://mowsmart.com/Why_Choose_MowSm..._mowsmart.html
Lol! I was having trouble picturing that trailer by your description. Now I see the typo: should have been "4 feet tall," not "4 feet taller [than the Smart]."

That would have been quite a trailer!