Snoozy brake size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
MN
Registry
Snoozy brake size?

Any Snoozy owners know what size brake drums are on the Lil Snoozy travel trailer. I smoked a wheel bearing and the brake on left side is shot. I have a 2014 Snoozy with "Tie Down" brand brakes and thought maybe I could get parts sorta locally in Minnesota. It is a drum, not disc system.

Thanks, Don
roadfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A good place to start is to crawl underneath and find out what axle they put under your trailer. There are many different axles out there, and they all make several different configurations of each. Write down any numbers on the axle id plate, if it still exists, and get some dimensions as well for help with your research.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Does the Snoozy have surge brakes ? I was thinking they were built on a boat trailer frame.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Most likely you have 10" brakes. But like Greg said - get a tape measure and crawl under your trailer.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

MN
Registry
Yes the Snoozy has surge brakes and is built on a boat trailer.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

New York
I would guess they are 10". Check at Eastern Marine and etrailer.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
When I ordered our 2014 Lil Snoozy one had a choice of surge disc, surge drum or electric drum. I opted for the surge disc brakes, and they have turned out to be the best trailer brakes I have ever had.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Take it to a good trailer shop and let them do it. If you don't know how to figure out the right size of brake, you don't know how to properly replace them.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #9

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
If you don't know how to figure out the right size of brake, you don't know how to properly replace them.
Hey there, let's try to be encouraging and helpful.

They asked if someone KNEW the size of the brakes on their trailer to make getting the right parts the first time more likely.

I love to see people learning new stuff, and this is the kind of thing that would have been left to the family 10-year old to deal with in our farming past, so it's not that difficult to learn and perform correctly.

To the original poster, please keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Photos and success reports help everyone get jazzed up about tackling something they have been putting off.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Latter Snoozys are not on a boat trailer

Early Snoozys were built on a boat trailer frame. The later models have a custom built frame with a rectangular perimeter and some bracing for the grey tank. They are welded, hot dipped galvanized and utilize leaf spring suspension with surge brakes. I don't anticipate a frame rusting issue with my trailer for many decades.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #11

MN
Registry
Just trying to round up parts so the trailer doesn't sit for a week or two at the local mechanic's shop waiting for parts. Town is around 700 population.

So far the surge brake assembly brand appears to be a "Tie Down" drum brake model with 10 inch drum. (Ouch! my 72 yr old arthritic knees hurt from crawling under trailer) Eastern Marine's "Trailer Parts Superstore" proved to be a valuable resource for finding parts. Based on info from other sites, I think I will have new brake assemblies installed on both sides.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #12

MN
Registry
In the FWIW department, the bearing failure and brake damage occurred 770 Miles and two traveling days after it was inspected and repacked by a reputable trailer shop, on the Sunday before Labor day. A shop in rural Wyoming was able to replace the bearings and get me on the road the Tuesday after labor day, less the damaged and removed drum brake parts. Didn't want to wait in rural Wy for an indeterminate time until parts were ordered and arrived. No problems on the return trip, didn't really notice much difference with no left trailer brakes.

Don
Old 09-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfossil View Post
Just trying to round up parts so the trailer doesn't sit for a week or two at the local mechanic's shop waiting for parts. Town is around 700 population.

So far the surge brake assembly brand appears to be a "Tie Down" drum brake model with 10 inch drum. (Ouch! my 72 yr old arthritic knees hurt from crawling under trailer) Eastern Marine's "Trailer Parts Superstore" proved to be a valuable resource for finding parts. Based on info from other sites, I think I will have new brake assemblies installed on both sides.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Interesting that you want to have new brake assemblies. I have heard of owners of electric brakes replacing everything. Drum brakes are the same as car drum brakes without the park brake stuff. Why would you not just replace the shoes?
Old 09-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #14

MN
Registry
I had to limp the Snoozy in about 7 miles to nearest cellular service. These was no cell service where I discovered bearing out. Perhaps the wobbly wheel from broken bearings and hub damaged the shoes and assembly. The hub was also broken. The shoes were loose side to side, had delamination on some areas near the corner, and they had to be removed to avoid rubbing after bearing and hub were replaced. All parts covered in a newly baked on hardened grease coating from heat generated. I believe they sell the brake assemblies in pairs, so thought this would be a good time to replace both sides. Happened on Hwy 85 between Bowman ND and Midwest WY. Lots of rolling hills and valleys.

Don
Old 09-16-2021, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Interesting that you want to have new brake assemblies. I have heard of owners of electric brakes replacing everything. Drum brakes are the same as car drum brakes without the park brake stuff. Why would you not just replace the shoes?
Most likely because the entire brake assemblies are easier to source than the shoes alone, and also with very little difference in price.

In addition to the shoes, one should change the magnet, add all of that up and you are at the price of the whole assembly.

Charles
Old 09-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Most likely because the entire brake assemblies are easier to source than the shoes alone, and also with very little difference in price.

In addition to the shoes, one should change the magnet, add all of that up and you are at the price of the whole assembly.

Charles
Post #5 states they are surge brakes, not electric, so no magnet
But when replacing electric brakes it is easier to replace the whole assemblies that does include the magnet. Did it on our Casita.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
When I ordered our 2014 Lil Snoozy one had a choice of surge disc, surge drum or electric drum. I opted for the surge disc brakes, and they have turned out to be the best trailer brakes I have ever had.
I, too, have the surge/disc set-up and agree they are very good under most conditions. I have also found them to be almost useless under slippery conditions when slowing the tug is not working and obviously not applying back pressure to activate the surge brakes.
If I ever replace my axle I will be changing to an electric set-up providing some chance of activating the trailer brakes in less than optimal conditions. Even minimal help would be better than none at all.
I have also found that I need brake replacement approximately every 25k tow miles which is more frequent than I initially thought would be necessary.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Four years ago I replaced the Chinese bearings and seals with American made bearings purchased from local bearing store. It’s been many miles now I do not bother repacking every few thousand miles. They run cool to the touch. We did not service wheel bearings on passenger cars years ago and I don’t see a need to repack off they are not being exposed to unusual conditions.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy