So much for European Towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Towed with the Subaru for the first time today. No, it wasn't the Scamp, it was my utility trailer (4x6) with an 8' landscape rake (farm tractor implement) on it. The trailer is around 500 pounds. The rake is about 350 pounds. I also had about 50 pounds of other junk on it. I hate to sound like so many others, but I hardly noticed it was there. The Subie still chugged along at about 1,500 RPM at 60 MPH on the highway. Gotta love CVT transmissions! I can only imagine what it would be like with the 6 cylinder engine!
Subaru can also imagine what it would be like with the 6 cylinder engine! That may be why it is not yet offered with the 6 cyl, but with further development and refined electronic controls , they will likely be available in a couple of years. Developers claim to have reached a viable ceiling of about 250HP for a public offering of this technology so far, so it shouldn't be long now!
I think you have their best effort and it should prove reliable with the 4 banger... Nice car!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #22

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Subaru can also imagine what it would be like with the 6 cylinder engine! That may be why it is not yet offered with the 6 cyl, but with further development and refined electronic controls , they will likely be available in a couple of years. Developers claim to have reached a viable ceiling of
about 250HP for a public offering of this technology so far, so it shouldn't be long now!
I think you have their best effort and it should prove reliable with the 4 banger... Nice car!
Come on... Surely, anything over 200 horsepower would cause extensive damage to one's internal organs, should they find a way to actually transmit that much raw power to the road. They would probably need some kind of system whereby the torque was Split across more than just two wheels. Were that such things were possible!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Come on... Surely, anything over 200 horsepower would cause extensive damage to one's internal organs, should they find a way to actually transmit that much raw power to the road. They would probably need some kind of system whereby the torque was Split across more than just two wheels. Were that such things were possible!
I am sorry, but I don't understand your reply to my comment.

At any rate, you have chosen a capable and enjoyable little ride, and I hope you have many years of trouble free service from it.
Also wishing you and your family a speedy recovery from your recent weather related tribulations.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd

I am sorry, but I don't understand your reply to my comment.

At any rate, you have chosen a capable and enjoyable little ride, and I hope you have many years of trouble free service from it.
Also wishing you and your family a speedy recovery from your recent weather related tribulations.
I was being a bit silly.

This is the most powerful car I have ever owned... And it is -only- 170 horsepower. Fortunately, the CVT is rated to a 300 horsepower/300 pounds of torque limit, so it is safely within the design limits. I hope, for their sake, Subaru works out a CVT transmission for the 3.6 liter H6 instead of adding more gears to the traditional automatic trans. Some of the 7 and 8 speed autos just seem a bit ridiculous.

And thanks for the well wishes.... We got a fair deal from the insurance company for the totaled RV. The rest of it is just some chain-sawing and clean up.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #25

Trailer:
Quote:
Surely, anything over 200 horsepower would cause extensive damage to one's internal organs, should they find a way to actually transmit that much raw power to the road.
Why would you ever want as much as 200hp? 100hp will get any size vehicle up to 30mph which, as we all know, is the maximum speed at which a human is able to breathe*....

(*Apparently a common belief at the time of the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester railway in 1830.)
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #26

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The numbers between these four countries are a lot closer than one might imagine.

A more realistic comparison is deaths per miles driven, not deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. A big country like ours and Canada has a lot more long distance driving per inhabitant than Sweden or the UK.

Deaths per billion KM driven:
Sweden 5.1
UK 5.7
Canada 8.2
USA 8.5

It is also interesting to note that most countries in the world have rates of deaths per 100,000 miles driven much higher than any of these countries.
"Agree we do travel greater distances; we consider 100 km to be a short distance and 1700 km drive and more not out of the question during vacations"

We are limited by trailer brake requirements, tongue weight requirements, hitch class requirements, tire load ratings, tv to trailer weight ratio requirements and more

Still see heavy trailers with out brakes hooked up, no breakaway switch, too heavy of a tongue weight for the setup, overloaded trailers and other items all summer long

P.S. see coalitions all the time still have never seen an in-person car or truck towing camper trailer coalition