So, what's your gas mileage? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Can only say love my Toyota
What does your Boler weigh and what mileage do you get?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
Our most recent trip - Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and home - was 2,749 total miles, $603.48 spent on gas - for a gas cost per mile of 21.9 cents per mile. Average mpg was 17.1 (per tank low of 13.0 mpg and per tank high of 18.4 mpg. (2005 Toyota 4Runner, V8, AWD) ....

Frankly, I'm very pleased with the mileage I get with a V8, AWD tow vehicle. Plenty of power for hills, decent mileage and enough room for all our "stuff".
I would be pleased with 17, too. Very nice!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #43

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp 13
Utah
I towed our 13' Scamp trailer out to Bonneville in Utah. A little over 450 miles at 67mph my 2004 Subaru Forester XT averaged 20.1mpg. It was mostly flat with a few hills out in the desert. I am pretty happy. My 1999 Honda CRV from West Texas averaged 20.8 over the 1850 miles it took to get it home. I traded the CRV as the tow capacity was 1000lbs and it was pretty low on power in the mountains. The XT pulls over hills like there is nothing there.
jeckel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #44

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Speed - Split from What's your gas mileage?

I saw that this discussion went to a different issue, so I moved the speed centered posts to their own thread.

Let's keep this one to Gas mileage centered posts, please.
continue
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #45

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel30 View Post
I towed our 13' Scamp trailer out to Bonneville in Utah. A little over 450 miles at 67mph my 2004 Subaru Forester XT averaged 20.1mpg. It was mostly flat with a few hills out in the desert. I am pretty happy. My 1999 Honda CRV from West Texas averaged 20.8 over the 1850 miles it took to get it home. I traded the CRV as the tow capacity was 1000lbs and it was pretty low on power in the mountains. The XT pulls over hills like there is nothing there.
I find it interesting that the CRV and the Forester were so close to each other in MPG's. Same driver, obviously, and both 4 cylinder engines. Pretty consistent.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #46

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
On a side note, I am going to be test driving Subarus tomorrow. My next car will either be a Forester or an Outback. The Outback costs a little more, but I like the CVT transmission. Either way, it is nice to have more towing capacity than I have now!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #47

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would not tow with the cvt, my subie dealer advised me against it here in York. He wanted me to get the regular auto trans, he said it will handle towing better. I loved the outback with the cvt but could not get a towing package for the subie with the cvt. I could with the other set up. Subaru would not tell me why.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #48

Florida
Suburau Towing

Mys son tows his Casita 16 with a Suburau Outback, automatic transmission, without any issues.

My choice as well would to not get the CVT transmission. To me it's simply too new. I'd rather it accumulated a few years before I lept onto a new technology.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #49

Pennsylvania
Registry
Towing with my Ram hemi I get 13 mpg, same as if I'm not towing. But on the highway, the engine shuts down to 4 cyl and if I'm lucky I can get around 18-20. Sometimes when towing the "economy" light comes on but rarely. I have a tow mode which cuts off the economy and overdrive. But the truck was made to pull close to 10,000 so I feel I can safely pull 2500 in regular drive using od and economy. But it only works on highway,level and with a tailwind, then it cuts to 4 while towing. The slightest hill cuts in all 8 cal and my mpg drops. In the city where you have stop and go, 13. So, on an average I can say maybe 15 on a trip involving both stops and highway. I can't get a feel pulling with the Jeep yet, it is too new and not broken in, but expect about the same(I hope)
I think your mpg is affected by the mass you are pulling, by the amount of horsepower needed to move that mass and how often you stop and then have to start to get the mass moving. I think it takes less gas to keep it rolling that it does to get it rolling. If the mass is too much for the hp then your rolling mpg will not be different that your starting out but if the mass is light then you can the the better efficiency while cruising.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #50

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
Mys son tows his Casita 16 with a Suburau Outback, automatic transmission, without any issues.

My choice as well would to not get the CVT transmission. To me it's simply too new. I'd rather it accumulated a few years before I lept onto a new technology.
Subaru has been making cars with CVT transmissions since 1987.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #51

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
I would not tow with the cvt, my subie dealer advised me against it here in York. He wanted me to get the regular auto trans, he said it will handle towing better. I loved the outback with the cvt but could not get a towing package for the subie with the cvt. I could with the other set up. Subaru would not tell me why.
I just bought an Outback with the CVT. They specifically say in the manual that you CAN tow with it. The only thing they mention is that in hot weather (over 104F) with a heavy trailer on long (more than 5 mile) uphill stretches, the system could start to overheat, in which case it will reduce engine output until the temps come back down.

In any case, I will be towing with mine. Subaru says it's fine. I will report any issues I may have.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #52

Florida
Cooling transmissions

We had a similar situation in the motorhome, overheating on long hills. To resolve the problem I rerouted the output of the windshield washer to the front of the transmission cooler. I added a seperate switch to allow me to turn it on. WHen I saw the temp climb I'd simply give it a squirt or two.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #53

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I just bought an Outback with the CVT. They specifically say in the manual that you CAN tow with it. The only thing they mention is that in hot weather (over 104F) with a heavy trailer on long (more than 5 mile) uphill stretches, the system could start to overheat, in which case it will reduce engine output until the temps come back down.

In any case, I will be towing with mine. Subaru says it's fine. I will report any issues I may have.
What kind of hitch did you get and brake controller? Does the Subie have aux cooling? I'd love to get a Subie but the dealer here was not cooperative in setting up the tow issues.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #54

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What does your Boler weigh and what mileage do you get?
Weight:
The actual total weight is about 2300 with fresh water and propane tanks full. Tongue weight is to light with empty propane tanks I can pick up the tongue by my self and walk the trailer around the yard? Propane adds about 76 lbs to the tongue. Like 200 lbs at tongue as 8% is 184 lbs. Did not make the long trip we had planned to Winnipeg so have no long trip data for mileage available

We live along the Niagara escarpment lots of short steep hills 3 to 5 city blocks long

Mileage:
Toyota rates the car at 50/40 mpg real stats are 48/38 highway/city Imp gal or around 42/33 US gal Average is (8L/100km)
100=62 1 L / 10.9 Mi or 1 L / 17.5 km highway and
Actual average in area of 1 L / 7.8 mi or 12.5 km mostly in town
Towing 1 L / 5.2 mi or 8.3 km or about 20 mpg us around town, think would be better on a long trip only time will tell; if the valley hills avoided, mileage would be a lot better.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #55

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
P.S. Mto wants tongue weight and equilizer weight to get the tongue rating they use so 200 + 62 = 262 if i aim for 200 will be no more than 300 and that is fine for our car as it is setup
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #56

Florida
Borden,
I'm interest in how similarly sized trailers, the Casita 16/17, Scamp 16 and the Boler 17 can vary so much in max weight. We towed a Casita 16 2800/280, Scamp 16 2400/200 and your Boler 17 2300/200. Of course the Casita 17's are typically in the 3200/400 pound range.

Both Casita and Scamp had air conditioners and baths. The Casita has dual propane, the Scamp single propane.

Where are these weight differences?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #57

Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
I think the Casita and Scamp's battery locations are different. The Casita I think is up front where as the Scamp is the rear. If you move 50lbs from front to rear you get a 100 lbs differential. I also think the wheelbase, i.e. the location of the wheels from the front can play with t/w variables. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #58

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Norm,
I think the Casita and Scamp's battery locations are different.
Actually, Casita puts their battery in a compartment at the Left Rear "Corner" under the dinette bench while Scamp puts theirs out on the tongue up front.

All of the 16' trailers have their axle-to-coupler spacing about the same. When Casita designed their 17', they just lengthened the body (and frame) toward the front, increasing the axle-to-coupler spacing.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #59

Florida
Casita 16

I used a Casita 16 for 6 months this past winter and hated the battery under the dinette. It was difficult to service and wasted inside space.

Though the Casita had the battery in the back it had two propane tanks that balanced the loss of battery weight compared to the Scamp that only has one propane tank.

I still don't understand the extra 400 pounds in the Casita. Actually the Casita is about 3-4 inches shorter but weighs 400 pounds more. Could this be the fiberglass under the floor?

Other than that they seem to be similarly constructed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #60

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I tow with an Outback but its more than two years old so it doesnt have new to Subaru CVT transmission. Mine has an automtic but can be switched over a manual sport mode option. Have towed with it for more the 5 years without any issues at all.

I would love to hear if anyone is towing with the new to Subaru CVT transmission - I think they changed to CVT in 2010? was kind of disappointed to hear Subaura had switched to CVT as I had heard also that they were not as good for towing as the old transmission they were using. But then again I have heard a lot of people claim that the Subaru Outback isnt a safe choose for towing in the first place - lol - but then again those who often say it have usually never actually towed with one.

I actually had a fellow from Texas camp beside me in a campground this summer. He asked me where I was heading and I told him I was going down the Coast then into Idaho, Wyoming and Montana and then home via the Washington Cascades. He told me that he had driven through some pretty big mountains on his way to Portland and there was no way that Subaru could tow through them and that I should re think my plans. I giggled and asked him if he had noticed my license plate and pointed out that I fairly familiar with mountains as we have a few of them in BC and that I actually live on the side of a ski hill. I jokingly said that my driveway might be declared a mountain from someone from Texas. He shook his head and said no way he would tow without a lot more power as it just cant be safe. I assured him I was towing within the Subaru's tow cap & had been through the Cascades before without any problems. What was funny about the conversation was the guy had a really big truck with a tow package on it but he was camping in a tent in the rain but he said he had a really nice trailer at home. When I asked him why he didnt have the trailer with him he said he could not afford the gas towing the trailer on such a long trip so he was camping in this tent for 3 days and every 4th day staying in a hotel...... I left him to go back to the comfort of my dry little trailer where I ROFL....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote