solo hitch alignment system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
solo hitch alignment system

Ladies,
I am gearing up my bravery to head out on the road and fear backing up, aligning the hitches and other things that many people do without thinking about it.

I do have a backup camera on my CR-V, but I thought there must be something even more idiot proof and then I saw this: solo hitch alignment system. Has anyone tried it? Did it help?

Tow Ready 63300 Solo Hitch Alignment System

Sharon
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've been using something similar. Mine are telescoping with a red lamp on the top and magnet on the bottom.
I'm not sure about that picture they show of it in use and the size of their bases. Have you got room on your ball mount ( as shown in their pic? ).
Anyway, with mine, I place one on the top of the ball and the other on the hitch. You just back slowly, keeping them lined up, and when the rod on the ball falls off, you know that the hitch is over the ball.
I still have to get out once to make sure that my hitch isn't too high or two low ( that's because I jack it up fully when stored to get it level on my driveway ).
Works for me.
I now have SwiftHitch camera as well, which I haven't yet tried.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Sharon,
I have a set of these. They do work. I can't see when backing up my truck and I don't want to bang up the bumper. I set one on the trailer and one on the flat spot on the top of the ball, I adjust the trailer up to be an inch higher than the ball. Aim your best as you back up an and go till it knocks off the one on the ball. Their directions say to align the balls till they touch but I never do anything the way I'm told. I got mine at Harbor Freight when they are on sale or use a 20% off coupon you can find anywhere. I think I paid $9.00 at their store. Good luck!
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I've been using one of these for years now- all you have to do is be close; once the coupler hits the wings the trailer swings into place right over the ball.
Link to product

Best thing since sliced bread!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
So, it isn't just me This is reassuring. Thanks to Kenny for an indication of price. I just checked via Google and found prices form $19 to $36 or so. I'll look into pricing on Francesca's model as well.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That stinger looks like it could amputate your leg.
Does it stay on the ball mount at all times?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a set. They telescope like a antenna to get them up where you can see them. For the money I would say go ahead and buy them. I usually don't use them, but they work good when I do, saves a few times in & out of the car.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Francesca Knowles;447414]I've been using one of these for years now- all you have to do is be close; once the coupler hits the wings the trailer swings into place right over the ball.

What does your trailer set on that lets it swing without stressing the jack? Wouldn't work on our dirt driveway and jack with a wheel.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
I use the dueling tennis ball thingy you show and I've been pulling (boat) trailers for years. It really helped when I got the Casita. I can't see through my lift gate at all. I like the item Francesca showed as well.
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

What does your trailer set on that lets it swing without stressing the jack? Wouldn't work on our dirt driveway and jack with a wheel.
The setup probably works even better on a trailer with a wheeled jack. See below vid.

My trailer's jack has a wide foot- never had a problem with it refusing to slide the short distance involved when using this aligner, and I've used it on all kind of surfaces.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
With a back up camera you should be able to exactly position the vehicle over the ball.

When you have it positioned perfectly get back in the Honda and see what it looks like on the camera screen. That's what you want to aim for.

Go slow, if the trailer is too low the ball will bump the front lip of the trailer, no harm done.

My back up camera (Jeep) screen has a dashed line down the center. When the image of the coupler is in the middle of the first dash alignment is perfect.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I use the extended tennis balls also. The rear window on the explorer is too high to see anything otherwise. Before the balls, I did a lot of 'back/get out & look/back again"-that worked too. No need to rush.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #13

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Harbor Frieght

I see they are on sale right now. Harbor Freight under automotive & motorcycles trailer hitches for $9.99
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always this BAL 28100 Tongue Twister : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I use the Harbor Fright set up for my 5er. Set one magnet on top of the hitch/ball. Put the other magnet on the lower front lip of the coupler. The key is to look at the yellow balls through the rear view mirror (Centerline view). When close get out and check for proper height. Then back up the coupler will knock off the magnet/ball on top of the hitch/ball and all you have to do is lower the trailer/coupler onto the ball.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #16

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Hi Sharon, I use the Solo Hitch Yellow ball thingy and it's good although they are flimsy and I've had two of them stop telescoping shortly after purchase. But I bet your backup camera will be even better once you get used to doing it!
DogHaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
The Couple Mate Francesca posted looks really good and I wanted it too when I first got my camper, but I know I would be banging my knees on it too much the way I work out of the back of my vehicle, and i don't want to take the drawbar out every time I unhitch. Do you walk into it a lot Francesca?
DogHaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #18

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I saw a great inexpensive idea one time. Put a bright pool noodle on the trailer hitch so you can see it in the rear view mirror.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
The Couple Mate Francesca posted looks really good and I wanted it too when I first got my camper, but I know I would be banging my knees on it too much the way I work out of the back of my vehicle, and i don't want to take the drawbar out every time I unhitch. Do you walk into it a lot Francesca?
I noticed in that video that there's a way of stowing the "wings" on the coupler after they've done their job. I keep that piece in the bag that holds my blocks/chocks/ballcover. I'm not sure that wing-stow method would even work with my older model, but even if it did I'd continue to stow it elsewhere for just the reason you stated.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I used something similar:

Hitchin Rod

Hitchin Rod : Amazon.com : Automotive

I also have a cap on the back of my truck so its even harder to see. But, I can still line up the rods just right and rarely have to make more than 1 attempt to get ball & hitch to line up correctly.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote