Solution For Broken Bolt Head in Hitch Mount - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16
Illinois
new holes?

could you drill and bolt 2 or 3 of the corners rather than trying to drill out the current bolt?

It looks like you have an access slot in the frame on the picture.

Drilling a fresh hole is a damned sight easier than drilling out the old bolt.
jtweigandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #42

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
For those have not read the hole thread, in a much earlier post ZackO said he had gotten the bolt out and had found a correct replacement.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #43

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Actually I read that he had it out,but a thread like this is useful for others with a similar issue.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #44

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes, I got it out, and sure, no reason not to keep talking

I agree on avoiding the nuclear option. With some things on this truck...I think it's ok. It's 21 years old with 260,000 miles. I don't know, maybe it'll still be around 100,000 miles and a decade in the future, but I think a little thing like a welded on hitch will be fine. Luckily I didn't need to go that route.

This is one of those things that separates the amateurs from the more experienced people. I do just fine on repairs and projects where everything goes just as it should. Which is probably about 1% of all repairs...People who are smarter than me, or who grew up doing this stuff or did it for a job at some point have learned all kinds of tricks and seen different solutions and had access to better tools, etc. for when things get complicated.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #45

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yes, I got it out, and sure, no reason not to keep talking

I agree on avoiding the nuclear option. With some things on this truck...I think it's ok. It's 21 years old with 260,000 miles. I don't know, maybe it'll still be around 100,000 miles and a decade in the future, but I think a little thing like a welded on hitch will be fine. Luckily I didn't need to go that route.

This is one of those things that separates the amateurs from the more experienced people. I do just fine on repairs and projects where everything goes just as it should. Which is probably about 1% of all repairs...People who are smarter than me, or who grew up doing this stuff or did it for a job at some point have learned all kinds of tricks and seen different solutions and had access to better tools, etc. for when things get complicated.
Most of us seem to learn what the professionals know about what to do when it goes wrong by having it go wrong and then being forced to figure it out, ask for ideas, or just try stuff.

Bet a fair number of folks on reading your experience will at least try vice grips just to see if it works.

I would have gone with circular weld over the top of the bolt so that the bolt was welded to the hitch. No weld to the frame to worry about. The bolt can't vibrate loose since it won't turn if the raw end is welded. It isn't uncommon to weld through a hole in one piece to attach it to the piece under it so a circle weld to replace the bolt head would have been my choice. Bolt should hold against sheer load of pulling trailer no problem. Would have put some pressure on the hitch to make sure it was tight against frame when welded. Maybe using a jack to push up a bit.

Age of truck also makes a difference. If I am going to keep it until it dies less reason to be concerned about how "right" the repair is for general consumption. Just has to be safe and effective.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 AM   #46

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
I know this has been pretty much trounced but I had to add a saying from a poster I recently saw. “Every 10 minute job is one broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day nightmare”
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #47

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you get a chance read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by R. Pirsig where the term "gumption trap" is described.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #48

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I know that his is late, but if you broke the head off one of them with your torque wrench you should probably replace them all.
If there were 4 then the failure rate is 25% waaaaay to high.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #49

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This was exactly the sort of situation where just walking away for a bit (or a couple days) then coming back to it solved the problem. I know I should do that, because I also read the book and have been taught that by projects multiple times.

Still, it doesn't always occur to me right away...

You're right, I should replace the other. The two forward bolts are smaller than the back ones. The back ones are fine, but I should replace the other front bolt.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote