Sourcing axle for Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Sourcing axle for Trillium 1300

Hello all,
I'm looking for an axle for our 1974 Trillium 1300. I think I prefer Flexiride, but will consider Dexter. Having trouble finding Flexiride anywhere due to pandemic supply chain issues. Does anyone have a good source for either axle?

Cheers!
esgarbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Darryl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Ontario
I cannot help with suggestions for a replacement torsion style axle. I know that I had difficulty sourcing a torsion axle from any source about five years ago.

Just a thought, I replaced my original torsion style axle on my 1976 Trillium with a Dexter leaf spring axle. I've been very happy with the leaf spring axle, it rides very smoothly and was much more cost effective than the torsion- cost including welding new mounts on the trailer frame was about half what a torsion axle would have cost. The axle also has the added benefit of being easily field repairable of needed with easy to find replacement parts.

What I did was purchase a 3500Lb axle, but Mounted it on 2000Lb slipper leaf springs. This gets me the heavier duty axle with larger brakes, but keeps a smooth ride. A leaf spring axle will raise the ride height slightly vs a torsion axle, but Using slipper style springs minimizes this ride height increase.

The leaf spring axle might not be for everyone, but just wanted to mention that I've had great luck with mine and like it better than my experience with torsion axles.
Darryl_Lowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #3

Name: Jeremy
WA
Hello again,
Thanks for the input Darryl. With no professional help nearby I found a flexiride supplier who will ship the axle. I have it on order now. I got some help from Canadian Axle with dimensions - 48" to outer bracket and 64" hub face.

I was hoping to confirm with folks that they've used these dimensions successfully. They're pretty difficult to get with the trailer intact.

Thoughts? I saw on restomod post on here where he was going with a 65" hub face. Perhaps the extra width would be nice.

Cheers
esgarbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by esgarbanzo View Post
Hello again,
Thanks for the input Darryl. With no professional help nearby I found a flexiride supplier who will ship the axle. I have it on order now. I got some help from Canadian Axle with dimensions - 48" to outer bracket and 64" hub face.

I was hoping to confirm with folks that they've used these dimensions successfully. They're pretty difficult to get with the trailer intact.
For my 1977 Scamp 13' I got a Flexiride from Canadian Axle with the following dimensions:
OB: 48.375 Outside Brackets
HF: 63.25 Hub Face
12-degree down

and it's just PERFECT!

Here's a before and after shot.

I don't know if those are the right settings for your camper.
Attached Thumbnails
20130830_192440.jpg   IMG_6350.jpg  

AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:11 PM   #5

Name: Kevin
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by esgarbanzo View Post
Hello again,

Thoughts? I saw on restomod post on here where he was going with a 65" hub face. Perhaps the extra width would be nice.

Cheers

Hey Jeremy. I'm about to order a new Flexiride and was just under my '73 1300 measuring. Was in very very tight quarters and with trailer intact but my numbers were 48" OB and 64" HF. So my question for you is if you did order this size and if so, did it fit well? I trust my measurements, particularly after reading that you had the same recommended to you. However, I saw a site (https://trilliumrv.wordpress.com/vin...um-repair-faq/) that lists both the original HF and the recommended HF for replacement axles as 65". Did you go with 65? Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Wandering Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300 '78
BC
Canadian Axle in Inverary Ontario

We just took delivery of a FlexRide for our 1300 from Canadian Axle Inc in Inverary ON. The person who assisted us Michaela) was awesome to work with. It was ~$800 plus delivery, which was very reasonable to our remote island in BC and came to around $1100 all told. This all happened between May and June 2023. We're getting ready to stick it on as we speak. We opted for the electric brake option, just in case, but maybe that wasn't necessary for such a light trailer. Might be handy if we end up getting a smaller vehicle to tow it around.
Crash420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, trillium