Spare tire mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: Surf Side TM14
Idaho
Thumbs up Spare tire mount

Hi, I currently have no mounting location for a spare on a 1975 SurfSide. Is a rear mount doable with a bumper mount or to the fiberglass shell. Also, no bumper on this one, looking for a replacement. Any photos would help regarding bumper and tire mount. I have 13 " tires now and see a lot of comments on going to 14", need tires now so this may be the time.
Rcnampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I assume that the Surfside uses the same wheels as the Trillium. I used Aluminum, 14", Ford Ranger rims. They come off older Rangers, so they may not be in the best shape, but they are fairly common. I paid $80 for four rims.
If you mount a spare to the back, don't put it on the fibreglass. Have a post welded to the bumper with a hole for the bolt that you attach a spare to. The one on the back of my Trillium 4500 is set up like a hitch receiver, to slide a bike rack into it as well. I have yet to manufacture the bike rack yet.
As for pictures, check out:
Surfside - Images
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I read the opening post correctly, there's presently no bumper on the unit...

Once that's solved, a bumper mount tire holder will work so long as the new bumper is properly welded to the frame.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't know how solid the surf side bumper is but a tire up on an arm gets a lot of pry leverage. So a short arm is better than a long arm to mount tire on and as Fancesca says it makes the bumper to frame welds critical.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If I read the opening post correctly, there's presently no bumper on the unit...

Once that's solved, a bumper mount tire holder will work so long as the new bumper is properly welded to the frame.

Francesca
That one might clamp to the tongue too. Not that you want to add weight to the tongue. But it might work until you're able to get a bumper. :-)

I went with similar to this, but it may require drilling holes in the bumper depending on the size of your bumper.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...TC1000301.html
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote