Stabilizer Jacks for a Lil Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a beautiful 1987 Lil Bigfoot from an owner in Canada and will be picking it up with my family in June and then camping on the way home to Texas. I've been reseaching leveling and stabilizing and have decided to purchase a BAL leveler. I cannot, however, decide on the best method of stabilizing the unit. I am leaning toward the BAL telescopic stabilzer jacks for the front and rear. Is this model better or worse that the BAL T-jacks (one for each corner)? Has anyone mounted these on a Lil Bigfoot? I want something that will do a good job of stabilization, even in windy conditions.

Thanks,
Carl (Texas)
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
. . . the best method of stabilizing the unit. I am leaning toward the BAL telescopic stabilzer jacks for the front and rear. Is this model better or worse that the BAL T-jacks (one for each corner)? . . .
I bought one of the BAL Telescopic stabilizer jack setups, but have decided it was the wrong choice for my trailer. First off, it's heavy. These stabilizers are built to hold 2000 pounds each, between a pair of them that's enough to lift our 5th wheel and then some, but when parked our 5er has six points of support where weight is distributed (front jacks, wheels, and back jacks). Way overkill. The "telescoping" design of the jack frame also adds weight that really doesn't serve any purpose other than to simplify installation on some trailers.

We also ran into a problem with width across the underside of our trailer. Because our trailer has a lot of ground clearance we bought the 24" lift version, but discovered the screws that wind down the 24" legs extended more than half way across the undercarriage of my trailer and bump into each other in the middle, so they can not be easily mounted to our frame. The "T" type levelers would run into the same problem, but another couple with a Scamp 5er with less ground clearance (so their jack and jack screws are shorter) uses them with no problems.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a beautiful 1987 Lil Bigfoot from an owner in Canada and will be picking it up with my family in June and then camping on the way home to Texas. I've been reseaching leveling and stabilizing and have decided to purchase a BAL leveler. I cannot, however, decide on the best method of stabilizing the unit. I am leaning toward the BAL telescopic stabilzer jacks for the front and rear. Is this model better or worse that the BAL T-jacks (one for each corner)? Has anyone mounted these on a Lil Bigfoot? I want something that will do a good job of stabilization, even in windy conditions.

Thanks,
Carl (Texas)
Hi Carl,
We had a L'il Bigfoot for 3 years and never owned rear stabilizer jacks. The trailer axle is back of centre on the trailer so you would have to place a lot of weight in the bed to have any chance of tipping the trailer and the suspension was stiff enough that we didn't notice any motion while moving around in the trailer. We now have a 16.5 stick built and it doesn't need jacks for the tipping aspect either , but you might get sea sick from walking around because of the leaf spring suspension. Try the Bigfoot before buying the jacks. Jacks have to be stored somewhere while travelling!
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot