State Licensing Requirements for FGRVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
State Licensing Requirements for FGRVs

Here in Wisconsin,it's confusing about registering a FGRV.Some people believe that you need not,but I posted earlier today with a link to WI DMV,that pretty much says,yes,you do.
The legal aspect: If you were ever in an accident with a trailer that was not legally registered, it would be a field day for the plaintiff's attorney.
So maybe,how about a state-by-state listing of licensing requirements for FGRVs?
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
GA licensing requirement

The state of GA requires a license plate on a FGRV. If the travel trailer is 1985 or older it does not need a title, only a bill of sale and a couple of other forms to obtain a license plate. http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/T...s_default.aspx
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm always up for new things, but hummmmm. Since this deals with rules, regulations and the government (no comments, please) and possibly personal liability... along with the fact we know things change and sometimes fast... it might be better to track down and post the actual state website that deals with state trailer licensing issues. Here's Oregon's: Oregon DMV - Light Trailers, plus this: http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/464.pdf

All travel trailers of all years, require title and registration (license plate).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Well, it would be nice if NY has a separate trailer page, but they don't. This is as close as they get - the trailer info is mixed in with other vehicles.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Thanks Donna D...Yup,that's what I posted was a current link to the state.

...Well I sure didn't mean to open up a legal can of worms,but as you may have seen, there was some confusion about what's required here in WI.So links would be good.

Again...here's a link to Wisconsin's:
Mobile homes, recreational trailers and other trailers - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

That's the ticket Al. Always best to get the information from the horses mouth... as they say
Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Perhaps a shorter list might be any state(s) that "Don't" require at least registration and plates on travel trailers. While many states don't issue titles after so many years, I am not aware of any that don't at least require registration and plates.
CA has had a "Permanent Plate" scheme for a while, whereby, unless requested, you don't get a hard copy of the title, but it stays on file with the DMV.
BTW: "Permanent", in CA means renewing every 5 years.
I, for one, would feel a little uneasy buying a trailer that didn't have a title, as getting one such registered in the Golden State can be a PITA.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
So you think you don't need trailer brakes? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Here you go, this could help.
State towing laws.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Perhaps a shorter list might be any state(s) that "Don't" require at least registration and plates on travel trailers. While many states don't issue titles after so many years, I am not aware of any that don't at least require registration and plates.
CA has had a "Permanent Plate" scheme for a while, whereby, unless requested, you don't get a hard copy of the title, but it stays on file with the DMV.
BTW: "Permanent", in CA means renewing every 5 years.
I, for one, would feel a little uneasy buying a trailer that didn't have a title, as getting one such registered in the Golden State can be a PITA.
You still get title with the permanent plates. What you don't get is the annual registration sticker, instead the license plate says permanent trailer. Last I checked it's $10 every 5 years to renew.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Permanent Plates/Titles in CA
When I registered my new-to-me Compact-II about a month ago I was offered a "Virtual Title". If I wanted a hard copy I had to fill out a request form to have one sent to me. No exta charge.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Just in case you EVER want to sell it, and it might be sold outside of the US of A, a "virtual copy" of a title is NOT acceptable for trans-border sales.

I can go & get my neighbor who is "up to here" in a virtual quagmire over a boat that had a virtual title which he purchased in Cali. Lawyers are making money, he's having fits. The border officials told him that a virtual title is useful only for a virtual boat (or, in this case - trailer)

Get the "actual" title.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's the ticket Al. Always best to get the information from the horses mouth... as they say
As opposed to the horses arse.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
If somebody wants to compile such a list, we'll post it. Or just start a topic/thread on it, and see what develops. I'm thinking General Chat would be the right forum, or maybe Towing? (Things do tend to get lost in General Chat, unless we "pin" them so they stay at the top...)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum
Thanks Donna D...Yup,that's what I posted was a current link to the state.

...Well I sure didn't mean to open up a legal can of worms,but as you may have seen, there was some confusion about what's required here in WI.So links would be good.

Again...here's a link to Wisconsin's:
Mobile homes, recreational trailers and other trailers - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

from the page you linked to........ Gross weight trailers A title and registration is required for trailers operated over 3,000 pounds. A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless used for hire or rental. Title and registration is encouraged for these vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.

My opinion, (which is is just an opinion) is that the title should at a minimum, still be considered for no other reason than resale purposes.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #15

Having a title is not only a good idea of resale... but what if you move to a state that requires a title? We have at least one member that's happened to... moved to Oregon. Oregon requires titles. Protect yourself and your assets is my mantra. YMMV
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hello USA
Here in Canada we req a plate on ALL trailers. The plate is around $20 and good forever on that trailer.
For owners not req plates and traveling to diff state don't you get stopped a lot? I was in Mich and lost my plate, was not long till I was pulled over..
Even if we build a trailer we req plates.
When we stell a trailer the Ownership papers go with the trailer but we keep the plate and a plate portion of ownership which we can transfer to another trailer.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
ND required registering and titling. I would no matter if required or not. It will provide some protection to you if stolen. It would then be in the system so if someone else tried to register it they would have a problem and you might get it back.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Here in British Columbia - if it is on the road, it needs a license. It also needs its own insurance. Your valid, current license plate means it is insured as they are (basically) one and the same thing here.

(if it has a current plate, its insured as the only way to cancel insurance is to turn in the plate. Plates belong to the OWNER, not to the vehicle - owner keeps the plates on sale of the vehicle)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Or just start a topic/thread on it, and see what develops. I'm thinking General Chat would be the right forum, or maybe Towing?
This thread looks like a pretty good start. I'll move it to "Towing"
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #20

Wisconsin
As I said in a previous post...who wants to be pulled over on the side of the road with an out of state law enforcement officer while they try to figure out if your legal or not?Even in this era of instant internet comms,states do not always have the correct access to each others registration info.And there you sit.