Std. coupler height for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
Std. coupler height for Trillium

I'm chasing a deal on a Trillium 4500 and want to make sure I have the ball on my hitch at the correct height (I haven't bought the ball mount yet). Trailer has standard 13" wheels/tires and the original (I believe) axle.

Any addition bits of towing wisdom for the uninitiated would be greatly appreciated.

Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Marv, I love the Trillium 4500's, but there are a few things to look out for. The worst, (least fixable) is a sagging front curb side. This can be seen, if you are 6' tall, by standing on the tongue of the trailer and look down the flat section of roof, over the door. If the closet forms a distinct high point, in what should be a flat plain, then there is a problem. This can also be seen by putting a straight edge on the floor from the fridge, to the door. If there is a perceivable sag at the door, problem. The truth is, I have no idea how to fix this.

Another problem to look for is a spongy floor, in front of the kitchen. This may indicate a rotten plywood core. This is very hard to replace. The floor is raised at the dinette. This floor will be spongy, but that is due to the water tank being under that floor. It is covered by a thin sheet of plywood. This is not a concern.

As for hitch height, better too low, then too high. I am just going by memory, you want about 15 to 18" to the bottom of the ball. Hopefully someone is closer to a measuring tape and their trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I run a 2 inch drop receiver behind my 2wd f150 for it to sit level, I'd bet most smaller SUV's can get away with a straight receiver, and cars would need a rise.

Before towing mine home i packed the wheel bearings and put new tires on, i also brought magnetic lights so i didn't have to worry about the trailer lights until i got home.

4-5 inch rise hitch with the jetta.

dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I got out with a tape this afternoon, 15 inches to the bottom of the ball is about right as the vehicle will likely squat a bit. It's 13 when sitting level.

dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
There is no way to tell the proper height of your hitch until you hook up and your tow vehicle settles down. Must end up with the front of the trailer a little lower . There are too many variables to get the proper height by measuring from afar
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
I was going to a place out in the boonies so I wanted to be half way prepared before I got there. Another deal came up in a suburban area that I've committed to, so I'll probably wait till I get there to buy a ball mount.

No doubt, I'll have more questions once I drag this thing back home. Thanks for the input, always good advice here.

Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium