STOP ! I have a brake question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a 2006 Chrysler Caravan, and camp fairly close to home (weekend trips). I will be towing my 13CT on flat terrain. (not many mountains here in Michigan! ) I need to replace my brake rotors, and I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to 'upgrade' to something better than stock rotors. I don't have electric brakes on my trailer, so all the braking power is from my van.

So, what do you all think - would I be wasting my money installing better rotors?
And what rotors do you recommend? Oh, yes I will obviously need brake pads too.
Thanks in advance for the advice !
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I have a 2006 Chrysler Caravan, and camp fairly close to home (weekend trips). I will be towing my 13CT on flat terrain. (not many mountains here in Michigan! ) I need to replace my brake rotors, and I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to 'upgrade' to something better than stock rotors. I don't have electric brakes on my trailer, so all the braking power is from my van.

So, what do you all think - would I be wasting my money installing better rotors?
Upgrading your rotors might provide a bit of increased breaking potential if you were to buy "drilled and slotted" rotors. These allow for better cooling of the rotors, which is taking away the heat generated from your increased braking when towing. that being said, even with an increased quality in the pads, I believe you would be better off paying to have a brake control, and trailer brakes installed. Your weak link on your van will still be the calipers. They are going to limit the braking potential of your vehicle, and the price of an increased quality of caliper (think street racer) along with the rotors and pads would likely exceed the trailer upgrade. The common statement we tell our customers...... "don't buy cheap brakes, because you can't put a price on your family". The "above average" grade pads along with stock quality rotors should provide enough braking. You may have to replace them more frequently if you tow alot, but that is the trade off for no trailer brakes.

HTH
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Many years ago, in some of the more expensive performance cars and in racecars, rotors were crossdrilled to allow for outgassing from organic/asbestoes brake pads.
Modern ceramic pads don't outgas and so crossdrilling today only serves a cosmetic function. In hard braking this can actually lead to cracks.
The function of slotting is to provide a path to remove brakedust and maintain better pad to rotor contact during braking. This is really only a measurable advantage in extreme use applications like road racing or hard street use, besides, many quality brake pads now come slotted and chamfered, which removes dust and helps prevent chatter.
Most modern braking systems have vented rotors on the front and non-vented rotors or drums on the back.
A good quality replacement pad such as Raybestos quiet stop ceramics will optimize your braking without the need for expensive and extensive brake modifications.
Two more points...
1] Modern ABS prevents lock-up,and thereby electronicly mitigates absolute braking power. It also reduces to a small extent the amount of heat generated in repeated hard braking.
2] Since you Tow at 10-15MPH slower, allow greater distance between you and the traffic in front, and lift earlier when approaching stops than you do when driving without the trailer, you really should be fine, espescially if you are within the 40% rule on weight.
Regards; Floyd
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Here is a photo of a Dodge Grand Caravan we saw on the way back from Salt Lake City (that's us in the background).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodge_Grand_Caravan__Small_.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	26963

And you thought pulling a Casita with Chrysler Caravan might be a problem.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Excellent Excellent explainations ! I needed to hear it in layman's terms. I'll just make sure I get better pads. Money much better spent. As far at the picture, I couldn't manage that size trailer - My van maxes out at 2000lbs. They must have a towing package?
I do plan to get my axle replaced at a future date and when I do, I'll be getting trailer brakes.
Thanks again
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote