Subaru Ascent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 10:30 PM   #1
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Subaru Ascent

is anyone towing with a Subaru Ascent? On paper should pull a Scamp with no problem but I would like to hear about real world experience.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:21 PM   #2

Name: Kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I pulled a 13' Scamp with Bath on a 2015 Subaru Outback. I looked at an Ascent before in considering it to pull an Escape 19. Depending on the model of Ascent, there could be a difference in towing. The base only pulls 2000lbs (I think it lacks transmission cooler). The other models might pull 5000lbs, but you would need a brake controller and I would recommend you use the OEM hitch as it is designed for their crash worthiness and ties into frame crumple zones if I recall. We really liked test driving the Ascent, but we decided we wanted a Bigfoot trailer and bought a truck instead.
ken_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Check these out as well.https://www.google.com/search?q=asce...berglassrv.com
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: William
Trailer: Escape 19
Maine
I have a 2021 Ascent that I use to tow my Escape 19. I’ve probably only towed it about 6000 miles in 2022 but will travel about 16-18,000 miles this year.
woodentoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
M_C

California
Thanks, Would you recommend the Ascent ? Your insight on pros/cons would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Be sure to get the recall done

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodentoy View Post
I have a 2021 Ascent that I use to tow my Escape 19. I’ve probably only towed it about 6000 miles in 2022 but will travel about 16-18,000 miles this year.
December 13, 2022 | Washington, DC

Subaru of America has issued a recall on select Model Year 2019-2022 Subaru Ascent vehicles due to increased fire risk. Owners are urged to park their vehicles outside away from structures and avoid leaving the vehicle unattended while the engine is running.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:50 AM   #7

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_C View Post
Thanks, Would you recommend the Ascent ? Your insight on pros/cons would be appreciated.
I have towed an Aliner all over the country with a Subaru Outback and it did a great job although it struggled a bit in the mountains out west. We then bought a 2019 Ascent that we had no problems with at all, except we put about 50,000 miles on it ( 25,000 towing ). I wanted to start out fresh warranty wise with the Escape that we had delivered last April. I wanted a vehicle for every day use as well as towing and have always had good luck with Subaru. I don't abuse my vehicles and the servicing is always up to date. Every vehicle has is limits and I feel that the Ascent is doing a great job for the way I use it. Yes, I would recommend the Ascent.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:53 AM   #8

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
December 13, 2022 | Washington, DC

Subaru of America has issued a recall on select Model Year 2019-2022 Subaru Ascent vehicles due to increased fire risk. Owners are urged to park their vehicles outside away from structures and avoid leaving the vehicle unattended while the engine is running.
I don't believe there is an automobile manufacturer in existence that hasn't had a recall for something. I have not had a recall on my 20019 or 2021 Subaru Ascent.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
My 2021 Ascent recall. No action needed. The dealer said they have had almost no issues. Only one car had a slight possible insulation fray, so they replaced all the recall parts.

This was just a lawyer cya recall.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:02 AM   #10
M_C

California
Thanks, that information is what I was looking for.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
I’ve pulled our 2016 Scamp 13’ Deluxe with our 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium since we bought the Ascent in October 2019. I have the Subaru OE hitch. It pulls the Scamp easy. We’re getting an Escape 19 in May, and plan on pulling that with the Ascent as well.
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #12

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I tow a '79 Boler with my 2018 Forester. Same drive train as the Ascent. I hardly know it there most of the time.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Stephen and Fay
New Hampshire
Zero problems towing 16' Scamp in NH mountains, etc.

I have a 2021 Subaru Ascent Touring with the OEM towing package. I live and camp mostly in NH in the summer months. The OEM towing package is great and it plug and play with most brake controllers. I previously towed it with my Outback which was okay with a non OEM towing package. My Ascent is so much better than the Outback towing. I'm not sure but I think the Ascent Touring with the OEM towing package is tuned extremely well for my use. I previously used a simple anti-sway bar with my Outback, but they are not need and "forbidden" by Subaru with the Ascent. My Scamp and Ascent are a "marriage made in heaven". They handle as if on rails. My only problems towing were due to user error that had nothing to do with the Ascent, but had everything to do with my stupidity and bad luck. My towing involves some rough dirt roads to get to remote camp sites in the White Mountains of NH. Never had a problem in rough almost off road conditions.

The recall referenced is no big deal and never a problem for me. It was fixed by the dealer for free, too.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #14

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmitc210 View Post
I’ve pulled our 2016 Scamp 13’ Deluxe with our 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium since we bought the Ascent in October 2019. I have the Subaru OE hitch. It pulls the Scamp easy. We’re getting an Escape 19 in May, and plan on pulling that with the Ascent as well.
You're going to love the E19. We'll most likely stay at Bemidji State Park in September on our way out west. Stayed there in 2019 on a similar trip in an Aliner.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #15

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Oregon
Love my Ascent

I tow my 2013 Casita SD 17' with a 2019 Ascent. This is the year that they introduced this model and has had a few recalls with reported tranny issues. I have had NO issues and towing my Casita has been without any problems. I have 36K on it and most of the miles have been towing. I go the the mountains, dessert and Coast to camp.
Some things to know.... I recommend getting the factory tow package. Be aware that a WDH is not recommended as Subaru states that they have their own rear stability system.
The only concern I have had is that the rear of the Ascent drops about an inch when the loaded for a big trip 'heavy tongue weight' of the 17' Casita is being towed. The Ascent states a 500lb tongue weight capacity and my Casita is about 425lbs when loaded. But it still handles the weight without any issues and drives great with plenty of power. As for my opinion....I love the Ascent. I get 16 to 18mpg when towing and loaded up. And 26mpg not towing but going to the Cascade mountains to ski. And most of the recall issues have been solved and the new Ascents are getting better reliability ratings.
sjrayfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:44 PM   #16

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodentoy View Post
You're going to love the E19. We'll most likely stay at Bemidji State Park in September on our way out west. Stayed there in 2019 on a similar trip in an Aliner.
Good you hear! I’ve gotten positive feedback from other Ascent owners regarding pulling an E19. We’ve not towed any out West yet, mostly in MN, WI, and other locations in the middle US, but we’ll be picking up the E19 from Sumas and will camp our way back to MN, so we’ll get a feel at that time how the Ascent handles pulling the E19 in the mountains.

If you can, check out Itasca State Park in northern MN!
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #17

Name: RLS
Yooper U P Michigan
Subaru towing

Change the transmission fluid periodically , CVTs tend to wear .
Scamp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #18

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Looking for
Pennsylvania
‘21 Ascent towing a 13’ Scamp w/o bath

I have owned a 13 foot Scamp for 6 years and towed it with a Nissan Xterra, Honda Passport, Kia Sorento, and currently a Subaru Ascent.

The Ascent pulls the Scamp with relative ease and brakes with good stopping distance. We go camping in Eastern Pennsylvania mountains frequently.

The things I don’t like about the Ascent: The OEM tow hitch is positioned high. I had to get a tow hitch with a 10” drop to meet the Scamp at the correct height. This, along with the short frame of the Scamp, makes the Scamp rock up and down more than with other tow vehicles after each bump.

Hitching up is also irritating because the back-up camera display superimposing orange and red squares over the area you’re trying to see because the vehicle doesn’t want you to hit the trailer.

Once you’re hitched, the Reverse Automatic Brakes (RAB ) needs to be shut off or the vehicle will think you’ll hit the trailer in reverse and slam the brakes on.
Pocket_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:35 AM   #19

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
My 2020 Volvo XC40 detects when a trailer is plugged-in, lets you do an automatic trailer light check so you can get out and watch all the signal lights illuminate and disables the things that get bungled-up by a trailer like blind-spot detection and backup alerts.

It also has a backup towball-mode that draws a line from your towball backwards to where it will go and it swings around depending on your steering angle so you can back right under the hitch coupler!

I bet Honda will have those features automatically disabled in a vehicle soon. They are great at adding features other automakers develop.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:33 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Migotsky View Post
I previously used a simple anti-sway bar with my Outback, but they are not need and "forbidden" by Subaru with the Ascent.
The prohibition on using weight distribution hitches (WDH) is the same for both the Outback and Ascent due to the potential excessive vertical stresses on the unibody.
The sway bar is not prohibited on either one though, since it does not introduce vertical stresses, so you can use a sway bar if you wish.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote