Subaru OB 3.6 pull a Casita 13 ft Dlx ??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Elantra Towing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Bob... ref here.... Top 10 Vehicles for Towing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for the reference....

This points out the need to always refer to the owners manual for the vehicle at hand for accurate information.

That article is dated 2009 and the 2009 Elantra is rated at 750 w/o brakes and 1500 with brakes in one owners manual and another sez "Do Not Tow".

I can't find anything that supports that 3000 lb claim for any Elantra but, "if it's on the internet, it must be right".

However, if like the one mention of 2800/165, 3000 lbs is of little interest if the hitch weight is limited to, say, 175 lbs.

If we have any Elantra owners out there, let us know what your book sez.

I will postpone my purchase until another source surfaces.

BTW: I often find errors and disagreements in those "Top 10" listings.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #42
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find anything that supports that 3000 lb claim for any Elantra but, "if it's on the internet, it must be right".

BTW: I often find errors and disagreements in those "Top 10" listings.
Years ago this was a hot topic and at that time research was done. It was confirmed the 3,000+ tow rating was accurate. Below the Hyundai corporate site verified the number was correct. Unfortunately time has passed us by and the dated info is no longer there but below was the link at the time.

"The info from Hyundai's news release also list Elantra's towing capacity at 3080."
Newsroom - Hyundai Motor America
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #43

Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Years ago this was a hot topic and at that time research was done. It was confirmed the 3,000+ tow rating was accurate. Below the Hyundai corporate site verified the number was correct. Unfortunately time has passed us by and the dated info is no longer there but below was the link at the time.

"The info from Hyundai's news release also list Elantra's towing capacity at 3080."
Newsroom - Hyundai Motor America
So it sounds like it was for a particular year and model???? Maybe 2009?

Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #44
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Yes Bob.... It was in the 2005/6 time frame.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #45

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Succint is good; correct is better.
It was!
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #46

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
---------------------------------------------

Even when they are incorrect?

IMHO: After reviewing the posts in this thread it appears that the o.p. has been saved a lot of possible problems by reading the range of correct and not so correct answers. McKenna's comment in post #14 tells the story.

In as much as posts, including mine, are generally limited to opinions and experiences, it behoves the reader to do due diligence with replies.

Or, one could ask the "Professionals" at the local RV shop, most of which have never seen an FGRV, and run the risk of getting the (often) wrong answers from that source and not recognizing the difference.

The question was very complex and the range of answers addressed just that complexity.

What was incorrect about the response??
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #47

Casita Specs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
What was incorrect about the response??
-------------------------------------
The op asked about towing a Casita 13' with a Subaru Outback.

According to the Casita factory site:
Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | The Patriot, Schematic

The dry weight of that trailer is 1880 lbs. Close to the limit for the tv.
Moreover, the dry tongue weight is 245 lbs, well over the maximum tongue weight allowed for the tv

Unless one only traveled with 1 change of clothes, a bag of popcorn, a 6 pack of coke, and a box of Kleenex you could quickly be over the maximum towing capacity and it goes without saying that there is almost nothing that can be done about the excessive tongue weight issue.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #48

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I'm not sure why some people are so obsessed with the Hyundai Elantra rating, but I suppose the significance to this topic (which is about towing a Casita 13' with a Subaru Outback) is that in both cases the maximum allowed tongue weight is well under 10% or the maximum allowed trailer weight. That leaves you
  1. deciding to follow the completely arbitrary North American travel trailer 10% rule of thumb (and thus not reaching the rated towing capacity),
  2. exceeding the hitch weight rating (certainly not what I would do), or
  3. configuring a trailer to tow properly with a lower fraction of trailer weight as tongue weight
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #49

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Possible solution.

McKenna,
We have used a Casita 16 for a year and a Scamp 16 for 3 years. We liked them both and felt they were each quality trailers. The reality of the story is that both companies used to be located literally on adjoining properties in Backus, MN and owned by brothers and not surprisingly they are very similar.

We choose the Scamp 16 because it is taller inside and feels more open because the Scamp's side bathroom allows a front window. It also has the additional benefit that the Scamp is significantly lighter.

We attended the second largest Casita rally one year and the Casita 16 owners thought our Scamp was longer and wider than their's. The reason is the wider aisle of our Scamp's layout and the optical illusion of no front window.

I think you should consider the Scamp 16. It actually has a lighter tongue weight than a Casita 13 and when loaded for travel the trailer weight is less than your Outback's maximum trailer weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita