Sway Bar??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Dot
Trailer: formerly 1984 Bigfoot 17' model 15B17G
British Columbia
Registry
Sway Bar???

We're new to towing and recently bought a 17.5' Bigfoot trailer. Our TV is a 2008 Uplander (short), which is rated to tow up to 3500#. The Bigfoot is 1875# dry, so we are well within our limit. I've read about sway bars, and seems that only 1 sway bar should be needed, two seems to be considered overkill. My question is, do we need a sway bar? How beneficial would it be? And if so, is one friction type suitable? I'd like to hear from anyone who has towed or tows a similar set up and what type of sway bar you use or recommend.....Dot
Dot G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Sway bars are great for eliminating the momentary sway induced from a rough road or a passing semi.
You should be able to tow your trailer at freeway speeds under any conditions without a sway bar if your trailer is properly loaded. You should have a minimum of 10% to 14% of the total trailer weight on your trailer tongue.
I have towed 10,000 lb stock trailers, travel trailers and boat trailers all my life, I'm closer to 70 than 60, without the aid of a sway bar.
Presently I tow my 16' Scamp without a sway bar on Forest Service dirt roads and freeways. I love Arizona as the trailer speed limit is 70 mph.
I know I'm opening a can of worms when I say, if you NEED sway bar it is a band aid to covering up a serious, life threatening problem.
If it makes your driving more comfortable and worry free by all means use a sway bar, but first make sure you don't NEED it under normal circumstances.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote