Sway bar & electric brakes needed in Utah with 13’ Scamp ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tow rating varies by year. 2016 model year is an additional piece of information. I would trust your owners manual plus the sticker on your driver's door for payload limitations.

Trailer towing speed limits vary by state. Most allow speeds over 55MPH on interstate highways and are no different than car speed limits. North Carolina limit is 55 MPH. Tennessee meanwhile is 70MPH. Many trailer tire ratings are lower than 70.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
T...
Trailer towing speed limits vary by state. Most allow speeds over 55MPH on interstate highways and are no different than car speed limits. North Carolina limit is 55 MPH. ....
55 unless otherwise posted in NC.

And the limits to all vehicles apply unless special permits are required or there is a temporary hazard or condition... (unless otherwise posted).

North Carolina General Statute 20-141 (L)

(l) Notwithstanding any other provision contained in G.S. 20-141 or any other statute or law of this State, including municipal charters, any speed limit on any portion of the public highways within the jurisdiction of this State shall be uniformly applicable to all types of motor vehicles using such portion of the highway, if on November 1, 1973, such portion of the highway had a speed limit which was uniformly applicable to all types of motor vehicles using it. Provided, however, that a lower speed limit may be established for any vehicle operating under a special permit because of any weight or dimension of such vehicle, including any load thereon. The requirement for a uniform speed limit hereunder shall not apply to any portion of the highway during such time as the condition of the highway, weather, an accident, or other condition creates a temporary hazard to the safety of traffic on such portion of the highway.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #23

Name: carla
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Thanks for the important info. I appreciate all information from you.
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #24

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Honda HR-V???

Check your owner's manual. I'm wondering if it has any tow rating at all (a google search turned up zip). If you're searching the internet for information beware of web sites based outside North America. Ratings there do not apply here. The only source that matters is your manual.

You're going to eventually have to put something inside your Scamp to use it as a travel trailer, and it will likely weigh more like 1500 pounds on the road. A CR-V has a tow rating of 1500 pounds and makes a marginal but effective tow vehicle for a 13' Scamp, provided you pack both vehicle and trailer lightly.

EDIT- just checked, and p. 319 of the 2017 owner's manual says, "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties." Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think this is a wash, with or without brakes.

That’s ok, you are safety conscious, I appreciate this from you. I have been in touch with the Honda Service Dept. They are putting on my trailer hitch. All good.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
Ok, now I am getting nervous about this... if no breaks on Scamp, I am assuming they can be added, yes?
adding brakes to a trailer that doesn't come with them typically requires changing the hubs to ones with brakes, adding a breakaway switch to the a-frame towing end, and having an onboard battery to power the emergency braking function implemented by said breakeaway switch... having a 7-blade RV style connector on the trailer and vehicle, and then wiring all that up in the trailer. you also need a brake controller, typically this is installed in the vehicle drivers area, but there are new ones you install in the trailer that have a wireless remote control in the vehicle for manual trailer braking.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #26

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
adding brakes to a trailer that doesn't come with them typically requires changing the hubs to ones with brakes, adding a breakaway switch to the a-frame towing end, and having an onboard battery to power the emergency braking function implemented by said breakeaway switch... having a 7-blade RV style connector on the trailer and vehicle, and then wiring all that up in the trailer. you also need a brake controller, typically this is installed in the vehicle drivers area, but there are new ones you install in the trailer that have a wireless remote control in the vehicle for manual trailer braking.

Thanks, good info for me when I go talk to the RV guy that will do this.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #27

Mid Left Coast
this and several other pages I read say 0 lb tow rating.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-2

the HR-V is a Honda Fit sub-compact chassis with a crossover style body.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I just downloaded and read p. 319 in the 2016 Honda HR-V Owner's Manual from the Honda owner's website (3rd link). It says exactly the same thing as the 2017 manual I quoted earlier. It is not rated to tow a trailer.

Here's where I suspect the confusion is coming from.

You can buy a trailer hitch for the HR-V. In fact, it sounds like Honda will sell you one. Hitches are rated by weight class. The lightest category (Class I) has a 1-1/4" opening and is rated to tow up to 2000#. That rating only applies to the hitch, not to the vehicle.

However, nothing can change or override the maximum tow rating specified in the owner's manual. Think of it as a chain. The hitch is one link in the chain. The vehicle is another (actually a whole bunch of links: engine, transmission, frame, suspension, brakes...). The coupler on the trailer is a third. Tires are links. Each link has a maximum weight rating. The rating of the whole chain is determined by its weakest link, which in this case is the tow rating of the vehicle.

So, why would they even make a trailer hitch for a vehicle with no tow rating? Answer: bicycle racks, mostly.

Please, please read your manual on p. 319. Please, please discuss this with your Honda dealer (again). Take the manual with you and show them if you have to. This could end very badly.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #29

Mid Left Coast
CR-V is a much larger vehicle than a HR-V
Old 04-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #30

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
CR-V is a much larger vehicle than a HR-V

I will do this Monday for sure. You are right. I do want them to understand completely what I am doing. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
My Scamp is a 1978 totally refurbished.
If the axle is original, it is a 1200# leading arm axle, likely without spindle plates to attach brakes. The axle would have a 1" spindle.
If the axle has been replaced and has the backing plates you should check the bearings for inner race diameter and mic the spindle itself before installing brakes.
Its really not a challenge because there are only 2 spindle sizes, the newer ones and the newer 2200 pound axles will have a 1-1/16" spindle.

If it has the original axle, you might find it more expedient to replace the entire assembly with a 2200# leading arm axle with brakes already installed.
It would be a direct fit plus conversion to a 7 pin RV plug.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
also, it looks like the only AWD option on the HR-V is the CVT (continuously variable transmission). CVT are a terrible choice for towing, they simply can't handle the load. the 6 speed manual is only available with FWD.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #33

Indiana
Humm....this does present a few obstacles
I need more information on.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #34

Indiana
I know the guy at Honda told me That sense I had the EXL & I have shifters, I would be ok. But you have given me reason to go back and have another discussion
With him.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft 2004 Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
55 unless otherwise posted in NC.

And the limits to all vehicles apply unless special permits are required or there is a temporary hazard or condition... (unless otherwise posted).

North Carolina General Statute 20-141 (L)

(l) Notwithstanding any other provision contained in G.S. 20-141 or any other statute or law of this State, including municipal charters, any speed limit on any portion of the public highways within the jurisdiction of this State shall be uniformly applicable to all types of motor vehicles using such portion of the highway, if on November 1, 1973, such portion of the highway had a speed limit which was uniformly applicable to all types of motor vehicles using it. Provided, however, that a lower speed limit may be established for any vehicle operating under a special permit because of any weight or dimension of such vehicle, including any load thereon. The requirement for a uniform speed limit hereunder shall not apply to any portion of the highway during such time as the condition of the highway, weather, an accident, or other condition creates a temporary hazard to the safety of traffic on such portion of the highway.

Thanks for this info. It makes me feel better about going 65-ish (the speed limit) yesterday on NC highways, as I drove my new 13' Scamp home from SC. ( (North of Boone....no electric brakes or sway bar, towing with '07 Lexus RX350, V6 AWD....which I prefer to drive in manual mode when in mountains...less brake wear.) I 'm also a big advocate of not tailgating. Towed like a dream. (I used to have a 16' Scamp, but feel more comfortable with this, considering the size of my car.). Happy trails!
Elizabeth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
towing

I certainly would not pull anything larger than a 13f equipped the way I am now but I have no fear or problems with my style of driving!

I might pull a larger one but for a short trip but not a long one!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Carla, you said the Scamp has no cabinets but is 'totally refurbished'. Can you explain further?

I once looked at a 16' Scamp that was stripped inside, no cabinets of any sort. The body would jiggle like jello when going down the road. Not good! Cabinets in the Scamp are necessary and integral to the design, because they stiffen the shell and also help support the roof (which could otherwise cave in under a load, like snow).

I have done what you are contemplating doing, long ago when I was young and didn't know better. I rented a 13' egg trailer (no brakes) and towed it on a 2000 mile vacation with a 1984 Dodge Omni (less HP then your Honda, but a 5 speed stick shift, 1,000 lb tow rating). If worked out ok, but I would not do it again today.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #38

Indiana
I understand
Old 04-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike are you serious? I had an Omni I never liked that car regretted when we took it home but we never towed anything with it but I had an 84 vw rabbit diesel I pulled a grasshopper mower home with it 200m. that thing weighs 800lb I bet!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #40

Mid Left Coast
the first gen Omni was in fact a VW Rabbit but with a Dodge interior. The made-in-USA Rabbits of that first gen were of significantly lower build quality than the made-in-Germany ones... My friend had a Pittsburg built 83 GLI, I had a Karmann built 84 Convertible, the build quality was like night and day. Same engine, same transmission, same suspension, but his GTI rattled like a junker with less than 100K miles, while my 100k mile Convertible was still real tight.

Tags
brakes, scamp