Sway Bars and Electric brakes - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #101

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have the same 45 mph / 72km/h "speed limit" in my '06 Highlander's manual.

I left home 2 weeks ago to get to our vacations spot. Arrived yesterday. My vacations are over. Sure saw a lot of nice scenery going by at 72 km/h. Great vacations. Thanks Toyota!

;-)
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #102

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have read the many comments made by members of this most interesting board.....amazing ! .....seems all of you never exceed 55 MPH when towing !!! (Except Carl V..... a real outlaw !).....
Honestly now.....really !!!
Seems Toyota is out to keep us all safe as we poke along at 45 MPH to the
delight of the motorists traveling behind us in a 65 MPH zone .
Surprised no one has recommended keeping your travel trailer at the campsite to
reduce sway.

My rig consists of a WDH with dual sway controllers plus electronic brake controller .....result....a good solid ride.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #103

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
At 8 pages and counting .....is this topic going for a record ?
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #104

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I have read the many comments made by members of this most interesting board.....amazing ! .....seems all of you never exceed 55 MPH when towing !!! (Except Carl V..... a real outlaw !).....
Honestly now.....really !!!
Seems Toyota is out to keep us all safe as we poke along at 45 MPH to the
delight of the motorists traveling behind us in a 65 MPH zone .
Surprised no one has recommended keeping your travel trailer at the campsite to
reduce sway.

My rig consists of a WDH with dual sway controllers plus electronic brake controller .....result....a good solid ride.

Happy Camping !
Good post! And BTW, I did report that my trailer has exhibited no tendency to sway while parked in the garage. Just been lucky, I guess.

I love it when the recognized authority on a subject is so ridiculous. Like removing the hitch after each use or 45 MPH maximum speed.

Now, lets get into a big argument based on those statements!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #105

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ya gotta keep up with traffic, or get out of the way!
A properly balanced rig, will run fast as you want. Just be sure to allow plenty of room and start slowing down sooner that you would with just the car.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #106

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
A properly balanced rig, will run fast as you want. Just be sure to allow plenty of room and start slowing down sooner that you would with just the car.
Careful now. You might send us careening into a tire discussion with rash statements like that!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #107

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Careful now. You might send us careening into a tire discussion with rash statements like that!!!

The correct word is "careering", except for well known American novelists, who use careened ( every few pages ).

career
verb [no object, with adverbial of direction] move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way: the coach careered across the road and went through a hedge.

careen | kəˈriːn | verb 1 [with object] turn (a ship) on its side for cleaning, caulking, or repair. [no object] (of a ship) tilt; lean over: a heavy flood tide caused my vessel to careen dizzily.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #108

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The correct word is "careering", except for well known American novelists, who use careened ( every few pages ).

career
verb [no object, with adverbial of direction] move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way: the coach careered across the road and went through a hedge.

careen | kəˈriːn | verb 1 [with object] turn (a ship) on its side for cleaning, caulking, or repair. [no object] (of a ship) tilt; lean over: a heavy flood tide caused my vessel to careen dizzily.

From Dictionary.com:

careen
— verb (used without object)

1. (of a vehicle) to lean, sway, or tip to one side while in motion: The car careened around the corner.

2. (of a ship) to heel over or list.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #109

Smith Valley, Nevada
But Glenn,

I'm only interested in cleaning the barnacles off the bottom of this discussion. That will make it more efficient as it careers toward the ditch.

Thanks. Where would we be without you?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #110

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
From Dictionary.com:

careen
— verb (used without object)

1. (of a vehicle) to lean, sway, or tip to one side while in motion: The car careened around the corner.

2. (of a ship) to heel over or list.

Which goes to prove that if a word is misused long enough, it becomes accepted.
Look at Brett Favre. He can't even pronounce his own name.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #111

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well now the lawyers have gone off the deep end... see bullet point number four....
Attached Thumbnails
Page222.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #112

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well now the lawyers have gone off the deep end... see bullet point number four....

I had the same thought when I saw the comments about only driving 45mph. A lot of places I have been, just sticking to the speed limit triggers road rage in other drivers.

You notice different driving "customs" in different parts of the country. For example: In St. Louis when you signal to change lanes, especially if you need to move from a center lane to the right lane to make an exit, it is common for other drivers to intentionally speed up or slow down in order to block you from being able to make the lane change. On the other hand in Los Angeles it is rare that that happens and drivers will usually accommodate other drivers' lane changes. I have concluded that the reason is that many freeway users in Los Angeles are armed gang members. Intentionally blocking them from making a lane change could very well result in the windows of your car being shot out while you sit in it. An armed society is a polite society.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #113

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
---snip---

For example: In St. Louis when you signal to change lanes, especially if you need to move from a center lane to the right lane to make an exit, it is common for other drivers to intentionally speed up or slow down in order to block you from being able to make the lane change.

---snip---
I can verify that statement about St. Louis. I drove about 300 miles a week on St. Louis streets and highways for about 5 years. It must be an unwritten rule that a turn signal is actually telling the person in the next lane that it's safe and OK to speed up now.
I hate being a rude driver, but I learned quickly to NOT signal lane changes in St. Louis traffic.
That may be a good argument for sway bars; you never know when you'll have to move over quickly to avoid a side-swipe in that area.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #114

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Ahhhh!! I just bought a louder horn. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #115

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
speaking of regional driving differences..... wtf is it with Oregonians ??? so I'm accelerating pedal-to-the-metal with my F250 diesel towing the Escape 21 on a short uphill ramp in the Ashland/Medford area, I see a car way back there in the slow lane, nothing near him, so I keep it on full throttle (hey, its a 7.3 turbodiesel, those aren't exactly fast), and I'm just about up to 55 as the ramp approaches the merge zone, I look in the mirror again, where's that car?? look over my shoulder, holy crap he's going exactly my speed right along side of me, look forward, I run out of road in 100 feet, so I have to slam on my brakes to let him get by me.... this was a small hatchback, and there was nothing in the lane next to him. I'm bright white and plenty big enough to be clearly seen, its mid afternoon. a few minutes later, i'm on the highway, going 55-60 (its a 65 zone) and pass him still noodling along at barely-55-ish, completely oblivious.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #116

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
....and pass him still noodling along at barely-55-ish, completely oblivious.
What's Legal Oregon
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #117

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;714116]speaking of regional driving differences..... wtf is it with Oregonians ??? QUOTE]

Same thought here John. I live in a town that fills up with snowbirds during the winter months. After the first couple years here, I started looking at the license plates after avoiding folks that just seem to steer without looking for traffic first. Have to say that 80% had Oregon plates . It may be regional as my daughter lives in Portland and she tells me it's the same there.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes