Sway bars-continued - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sway bars-continued

Posted by Jonathan Langer, of New York

We have a new 17 ft Casita, towed by a GMC Sonoma (6 cyl), auto, 4 wd. Do we need to use a sway bar ? We added a brake controller as required. Dry wt is 2300 lbs. Your help is greatly appreciated. Before this we had a small pop up-no sway bar necessary.

-----------------------------
Jonathan L

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #2

Swing & Sway??

Posted by Owen Lindsay, of Calgary, Alberta

Swing & Sway??
The easiest problem to identify and rectify is that of not balancing the loading of your unit properly. Once you have carefully balanced your effects in your towable, if you still detect sway when towing, then take the tow vehicle to the nerarest alignment shop and have the suspension components checked for play. One of the easiest things to overlook is the developement of play and looseness in the steering components. When we drive the tow vehicle alone, We don't notice anything loose, and make small adjustments to the steering wheel to go where we want. When we add a towed vehicle it is like holding out a stick. When your hand moves imperceptibly, the far end of the stick moves very noticably. As the components wear out slowly, you may not notice the changes until you have a kangaroo rodeo while going downhill or decellerating while towing. Check your front end periodically, and it will follwow you like a puppy wherever you go.

Just over the Horizon...
Owen & Rosemary
Grand Caravan & 16' Dolphin

Old 07-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #3

Swing and Sway

Posted by Suz, of North Texas
Swing and Sway

Simply put, yes.

I think it would really be helpful if you learn the feel of your trailer without it. That way you know that, under normal circumstances, it is balanced and tows well.

Okay, so why do I need it then if it tows well? Those times when certain conditions overcome a well balanced trailer.

I have an '89 and it is lighter weight than yours. I towed for quite a while without one and it did fine. Then, the time came when I had a series of things that happened that made me realize that towing without a sway bar isn't the brightest thing.

I added one. From then on, it was no longer a worry about big rigs, 40 mph crosswinds or anything else than can waggle your trailer. Can you do without it? Sure. My question is why? I had the misconception that it was just one more thing to worry with so I kept stalling. What I found was that it was no trouble and actually made highways, curves, and those sudden movements to miss things in the road, so much easier.

Sway controls are not to correct problems of balance. They are to make your trailer tow like it would in perfect conditions without one.

Just my two cents.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 07-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #4

Sway Bar

Posted by Johnny D. Dorsey, of East Tennessee

Sway Bar
A sway bar is something like haveing A fire extingusher.
You won,t need it all the time but the one time you need it you sure
will be glad you have it.

John D.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 PM   #5

Sway Bars

Posted by Debbie Duke, of Mt Zion, IL

Sway Bars

I don't want to show my total ignorance here but do 5th wheels need sway bars? We have had them on all our past units but this is our 1st ever 5er and I just never thought about it before this. I would think not but would appreciate input from the group.

Soybeans & Stetsons
Debbie & Glen
2003 Scamp 5W / 2003 Chevy Silverado

Old 07-29-2003, 12:44 AM   #6

5th.wheel sway bars.

Posted by Johnny D. Dorsey, of East Tennessee

5th.wheel sway bars.

Hi Debbie
No you don,t need sway bars or anything other than the hookup you have in the bed of your pickup.
That,s what makes 5th. wheels so nice.
You don,t have to worry about WDH and sway bars.

John D.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 AM   #7

Sway Bars

Posted by Debbie Duke, of Mt Zion, IL

Sway Bars

Thanks Johnny I thought that we didn't need them on the 5er but after reading more and more threads in all the different forums about sway bars I started questioning myself. Glad to know we should be fine. This is the best place to find info and get help as everyone chips in their pros and cons and it doesn't matter if it is a dumb or repeated question - you all happily and patiently answer us anyway.

Soybeans & Stetsons
Debbie & Glen
2003 Scamp 5W / 2003 Chevy Silverado

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was an additional post made 07-29-03 by Pete Dumbleton, "On the Road, from FL"

A 5W doesn't need a sway dampener or such because the "overhang" or lever arm between the rear axle and hitch ball is measured in inches, not feet, so the sway effects which may exist are not even noticed. That's why relatively short pickup trucks can safely tow those monster 5W trailers without being flung alll over the highway.

BTW, there are two hitch systems out there, the Henseley Arrow and the Pull-Rite, which very effectively mimic a 5W hitch by leverage and geometry or by extending the trailer coupler to very near the rear axle, depending on brand.

Pete in the RatHaus