Tacoma as tow vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
With our truck, our first payload iissue are the options added after the factory: camper top, spray in bed liner, side steps. Figure about 325 pounds here. Then you have a driver, passenger, and dog. Let’s call that 425 pounds. Then you have tongue weight of around 400 pounds for our 19 Escape. Then 25 in the weight of the hitch. That’s 1175 pounds.

My F150 has a payload limit of 1470 pounds. So that gives me 295 pounds for stuff in the truck:. Now it’s not like my truck is going to ass-plode if I exceed that amount but I use it as a guide. Next truck I get will have a higher payload so I don’t have to be so careful.

Our big trip this year is to Alaska. Plan is to take a generator, 100 pounds plus another 35 pounds in gas. Then I’ll probably take a second spare tire for the trailer. I’ll be careful about what else I carry.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
To this I would add me (188 Lbs) and any passengers (can't post weight would instantly be killed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Funny how often this comment comes up. It must be a learned lesson some where along the line as it wasn't in the marriage vows that I remember. But like you Ken, I discovered that info might be unhealthy .
Try scheduling a scenic flight in a private plane. They'll want to know all of that information.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
... I picked up one of these scales for our 2017 19 and found it very handy. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...le/A-p8686024e ...
wow, $35, not bad. OUCH, $28 shipping

I've not seen that style scale before, only the $100+ ones.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
wow, $35, not bad. OUCH, $28 shipping

I've not seen that style scale before, only the $100+ ones.
I picked it up on sale. I think the shipping estimate was higher than the actual shipping charge. If you watch it pops up on sale once in awhile.
With the exchange rate it was a very nice item to find.

Order Subtotal: $22.99
Shipping: $20.92
Order Total: $43.91
Canadian funds

Here is a review of the scale at Escapeforum.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post235322
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #25

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Passenger weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Funny how often this comment comes up. It must be a learned lesson some where along the line as it wasn't in the marriage vows that I remember. But like you Ken, I discovered that info might be unhealthy . OK, back to trailer/hitch ratings, a safer subject .
As a retired zoologist, I think it is a survival mechanism that over generations of selection and evolution, is now a genetically inherited trait on the Y chromosome.
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #26

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The average weight of a loaded Escape 21 in our Trailer Weights in the Real World database is 4115# with 543# tongue weight. The range on total weight is pretty small, but the tongue weight range is striking. Might have something to do with the large, forward under-bed storage compartment. <snip>
Jon,

This 543 lb average tongue weight struck me as high as I just weighed mine today for Richard (Telescopist). I know ours is pretty heavy as I like to keep a generous stash of Krugerrands up front for the tollway baskets.

Our tongue weight is 500 lbs per a Sherline scale, with the trailer mainly-loaded and near-ready to go, basically lacking only food and clothes. To my best recollection it was about 400 lbs "as delivered" with options.

I just downloaded the 8/12/18 version of the TWITRW spreadsheet and the tongue weight for the Escape 21s appeared to average 559 lbs. However, the eighteen Escapes listed as having a length of 21 includes seven 5.0 TA's with their much-higher pin weights!

If you limit the selection to the eleven bumper-pull 21's, the average reported tongue weight is 453 lbs.

One of the trailers with 380 lbs tongue weight is reported as "As Delivered, No Personal items or food".

The remaining ten average 461 lbs, including another one that has a listed tongue weight of 380 lbs.

The remaining nine average 469 lbs, with a minimum of 440 and a maximum of 500.

I'll graciously spare us all the rest of the statistics as it's already late and I don't want to put anyone to sleep here!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, we towed a largely unloaded (minimal bedding, full propane, water, not much else) E21 with our 2008 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4.0L 6-speed from Lewisville to Lubbock to Reno to Santa Cruz, 2000 miles, and I felt the truck just wasn't adequate. the truck was also nearly empty other than the two of us and overnight bags... my Tacoma was an Access Cab, so a 1200 lb total payload, take 500 lbs off that for tongue weight, 500 lbs for the two of us and our gear, and there's not much left. I am very glad I had airbags to level the truck or it would have been an uphill ride

Towing the FULLY loaded Escape 21 with a F250 diesel, I hardly notice its there, hah!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #28

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I am very glad I had airbags to level the truck or it would have been an uphill ride
So, if you increase the airbag pressure over the rear axle it's all downhill?!?

Wow, I've got to get the leveling on our air suspension on the Jeep adjusted as I could really use a boost in our mileage!

I wonder why they didn't cover this in the manual?!?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While the length of both 5.0TA & 21' Escapes are both listed as 21', using the filter will separate them. Filter by Column "C" (Model) to find the correct trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote