Tacoma brake controller mounting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Liberty Deluxe 16 ft
I am trying to determine just where to mount the brake controller in our new Tacoma with the tow package. I see that many folks are towing with a Tacoma, so I wonder where you mounted your controller?

Thanks
Harvey
Harvey J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft / 4 cyl Tacoma
Quote:
I am trying to determine just where to mount the brake controller in our new Tacoma with the tow package. I see that many folks are towing with a Tacoma, so I wonder where you mounted your controller?

Thanks
Harvey

I mounted mine under the dash next to the door. It's a little in the way if you're not careful, but there doesn't seem to be a real good out-of-the-way place to put it and keep it semi-level. I was thinking I'd take it out (easy to unplug) when not pulling the trailer, which is most of the time, as I thought it would be in the way too much, but found it really doesn't bother me.
Lon

lonlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
I removed the small tray just to the right of the steering column and mounted it there. It needed a only very small amount of shimming to make it nice and level. I find it is very easy to monitor and access the manual braking in that position.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Just a thought... not all brake controllers need to be kept level. Mine can be in any position whatsoever. I just stick it between the center console and the passenger seat in my Highlander, sticking straight up. I had the shop hook it up with a plug so it can be removed and stuck in the glovebox when not needed.

If it's not that type that has to be level, as long as it's easy to reach in case you need to manually activate it or adjust it, it can be anywhere.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Michael,

You right, level is not needed for this controller. I shimmed it for aesthetic reasons. It is important for it to be aligned with the for & aft axis of the vehicle, however, for the best operation.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
In our Tacoma, it's to the right of the steering column, just below the release for the parking brake. It's not in the way.
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I mounted the Prodigy controller in the forward console compartment of our 05 Tacoma 4WD double cab.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1148.jpg  
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote