Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller

Hello,

Has anyone out there tried one of these Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controllers?

Our TV is a 2005 VW Touareg. I love this car and bought it specifically to be our TV, as it has an exceptional tow rating and it is a very comfortable ride. (Plus, I like VW's and have always wanted a Touareg) Well after installing a VW OEM trailer hitch and wiring, I learned I still needed a brake controller. Those familiar with VW's will know that they have never been known for their electrical systems, well they are known, but not for the good aspects. Further, I am a member on Club Touareg - Volkswagen Touareg Owners Community and have learned the Touareg's electrical system is especially finicky. (Examples: the tow package automatically adjusts for a trailer, adjusts shift points, integrates the trailer into the vehicle security system (if the 7 pin is disconnected the vehicle alarm will activate), trailer brake light malfunctions will appear on the vehicle multi-function display, etc...)

All that being said, I have been looking around for a brake controller. I like the Tekonsha products and was looking at either the P3 or other similar models. These are on the market for about $120 or so depending where you buy. But, after the purchase, I would have to find an installer who could install the controller with out frying my TV's electrics.

While looking I came across this: the Tekonsha Prodigy RF! Do we have a winner?!? Yes, it is expensive. BUT, I can easily install it in my driveway. I would have to pay a shop to install at P3, which I could see running an easy $100. So with the cost of a P3 and install, I am getting close to the price of this unit.

Some other upsides, If we get a second vehicle that could pull the Boler (Yeah, I don't know why either..... but what if), we could use this system in that vehicle as well. Further, I have told some friends/family they can borrow the Boler if they want. This brake controller would allow them (and give me peace of mind that the brakes worked) to tow it safely.

Other than price, I am having a hard time finding a fault. Some reviewers stated they were worried about RF interference, but others said they have used it for a while and had no issues.

I am already pretty much sold on this unit, I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience or input. Thanks, here are a couple of links:

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Trailer Mount Brake Control - $289.96

Video from Tekonsha:
Video Player - Tekonsha
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
IMHO one needs to be very careful with the electonics on almost all new cars these days. Just ask my sister in law why its not a good idea to let someone try and jump start off your new Honda CRV or my neighbour about trying to figure out what to connect to while trying to jump starting a 2009 turbo Volvo station wagon. LOL Ever looked under the hood of one of those? Even my Subaru electronics tell me a whole lot of stuff - such as low tire pressure, when the outside temp hits freezing level, miles to next gas station, MP3 connection detection, etc etc -all pretty standard now.

Personally would not spend a whole lot more money on a controller to tow an egg than was necessary. I have a P2 that is simple to use and works great. I would think that if you take the car to a place with a good rep they will have seen complicated electronics before and have no problems installing a basic unit for you and you can save yourself some money.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Sounds like a perfect solution if you have multiple tow vehicles or want to share the trailer. In my case, I'm often borrowing the TV from my parents so this is a great option.

I expect the price will drop some in the future.

Regards,

Matt