those W-I-D-E Bigfoots... (rear camera) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
those W-I-D-E Bigfoots... (rear camera)

while a full eight feet wide is sure nice when you're inside the trailer....towing a Bigfoot with a narrower vehicle like an SUV does create a problem....like not being able to see behind you unless you are on a curve. I tried mirror extension and that was a waste of time. Somebody had given them to me and after trying them out I understood why.

I got this camera set-up from "EachBuyer"...it cost fifty something dollars...(USD) ships from Singapore in a week or two...never any duty or other fees. I've used them for a ton of stuff

the camera is designed to mount at the license plate but I opted to mount inside...for now anyways (mounted inside, it won't work very well at night as the "night lights" will be reflected by the window...but I don't ususally travel at night and even if I did, rear vision is less of an issue where/how I travel)
Mounted this way the install is completely reversible with no permanent "damage"

camera and transmitter are powered through the rear sofa overhead light...it uses .15A

screen and receiver powered via a cigarette plug into dash receptacle

Happy motoring !
Attached Thumbnails
rearcam1.jpg   rearcam2.jpg  

rearcam3.jpg   rearcam4.jpg  

rearcam5.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

the camera is designed to mount at the license plate but I opted to mount inside...for now anyways (mounted inside, it won't work very well at night as the "night lights" will be reflected by the window...but I don't ususally travel at night and even if I did, rear vision is less of an issue where/how I travel)
Mounted this way the install is completely reversible with no permanent "damage"

Happy motoring !
Hello François, if you want to avoid reflections coming from the window traveling at night, you must place the lens stuck on the glass, reflections will not be created this way ..
Act in the same way when taking a picture through a window of the car, for example, stick the camera on the glass to prevent the camera captures the reflections ...
Same procedure when you want to photograph through aquarium glass.

I look to buy a Garmin wireless camera.
There is a wireless model and one with wire.
I already use the Garmin GPS, compatible with the camera.
A purchase to complete ...

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
LOL....ain't that truth !!!

"a purchase to complete".....does it ever end?

that's one thing that's common to boating and trailering....it's SO EASY to justify buying one more thing.....LOL

lotsa fun though...making your "hunk of plastic" PERFECT !!!

I think you'll find the rear camera a very good investment....for me it's about being able to slow right down on a two lane road to have a look at a side road (to see if it's a "possible")....IF there is nobody behind me....another is backing into my driveway as I end up swinging out into the dirving lane to do so.

I see you're towing with a Journey 3.6 six speed....how's that working for you??? Does that tranny have a tow/haul mode (button you push) ???

Happy Motoring, F
Attached Thumbnails
outable1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"a purchase to complete".....does it ever end?

I see you're towing with a Journey 3.6 six speed....how's that working for you??? Does that tranny have a tow/haul mode (button you push) ???

Happy Motoring, F
With my Journey it works well.
I do not have the buttons as you say, but I work manually with.

I met a guy with a Cherokee who was pulling a trailer even bigger than mine and he explained to me how the transmission and the engine worked with the tow / haul and I am the method manually and it goes well.

Last year we went to the Minguan Islands, in the spring we went to Assateague State Park, we go back 10 days, departure tomorrow morning with 2 friends and their trailer.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
old technology....

the reason I asked is I tow with 3.7 four speed (2007)....it has a tow/haul mode....I had to put a new tranny in last summer (ouch! $)

I'm pretty sure that is a different generation tranny than yours however....anyway, best guess by a few sources for the failure was not using tow/haul while towing AND the fact that I put the thing to the torture test of driving an elevation change of 3500' in sixteen kilometers four days a week in the winter.....now I use tow/haul for towing AND making that climb (with no trailer of course)

happy trails...have a good trip, F
Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
I like this idea :)

Thanks for this. I have a Bigfoot 17.5 ft trailer which I haul with an F150. With the truck I can adjust the mirrors to see past the Bigfoot fine - without mirror extensions - but there is a big blind spot right behind the trailer.

The rear view camera would be great for busy urban expressways where you can't see someone in a small car or motorbike who's tailgating 3 feet behind your trailer's rear end. And then, just as you signal to change lanes, the idiot will pop over and start to pass you .......

We use walkie talkies for backing up, which works really well. At least, it did once we got a common definition of what left and right meant But a camera would also help with backing up alone, which does happen from time to time.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I know that a lot of people have had trouble with getting good reception when using wireless backup camera systems on long vehicle lengths. Most of those systems are only meant to span the distance between the back and front of a standard passenger vehicle rather than a vehicle plus a trailer. The solution to that overly long of a distance for good quality transmision of the signal seems to be obtaining a backup camera unit that has as part of the system an additional exterior antenna with a magnetic base that mounts outside, on top of the vehicle, thereby boosting the signal for better reception. Of course the booster antenna is not wireless as it connects to the receiver inside the tow vehicle.

So if you are going to shop for a wireless system for your travel trailer I would strongly suggest you look for one that includes an exterior booster antenna and be sure it is rated for the distance of the length of the tow vehicle plus the trailer. Maybe something from the trucking industry supply websites?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot