Timbren, Sumo or Supersprings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Timbren, Sumo or Supersprings

With a new 2019 Toyota Tundra pulling a new 25 Ft Rq, any Tundra owners out there have thoughts on which of the above load enhancement systems that you have had experience with?

I used the Supersprings on my 05 Titan, yet the Tundra requires the brake line to be moved slightly to accommodate them.

Supersprings themselves recommends the use of the BLACK coloured Sumo Spring...which essentially replaces the bumper stop...leaving an approx. 1/2 " gap when the truck is unloaded.

Thoughts?

Thank you
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I used Sumo springs on my 2016 Tacoma and was pleased with them.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Thanks for the reply. Which "colour" did you use?
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
I have the Sumo springs on my Tacoma. Only took me 45 minutes to install and I'm no mechanic! Why do you want to know what color they are? When I bought mine I don't remember them asking what color I needed, unless they have upgraded them.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have used the bump stop replacement super springs, but did not like the harsh ride of our 1998 GMC 1500. I replaced them with the original bump stops and then added an override spring to the rear spring pack, and am very pleased with the ride now. Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
Thanks for the reply. Which "colour" did you use?
Mine were yellow, which I believe was the only color available for the Tacoma at the time.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I like the Timbren's.

Easy install, inexpensive and they work GREAT for my application on a 1/2 ton Dodge Crew Cab 4WD.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Air bags are another possibility. Less expensive than the others, and the ride can be tailored somewhat by varying air pressure from min. 5# to max 25#. Air Lift and Firestone are the two major brands. We went this route with our 4Runner.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I changed out the stock bump stops on my '02 Ranger with Timbren's but found the same harshness problem David B did. I've since changed to the Firestone Air Ride bags and the leveling and ride are now great. Anyone need a set of Timbrens with 2 or 3 trips on them ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #10

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
Air bags are another possibility. Less expensive than the others, and the ride can be tailored somewhat by varying air pressure from min. 5# to max 25#. Air Lift and Firestone are the two major brands. We went this route with our 4Runner.
Another vote for airbags. I run mine up to about 65# when loaded/towing (2010 Tundra Crewmax). No harsh ride when unloaded and they are aired down.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yea, I third the emotion for Ride Rite (Firestone) airbags. 5 PSI when running light, and you don't know they are there. my tacoma at max load, I'd run about 40 PSI and it was as level as empty and the ride was great. plumb them so left and right are on separate air fittings, otherwise the pressure can cross over and do funny things on turns. you can use a bike pump or mini compressor like a viair, or you can get an onboard compressor system for more $$ and adjust them on the fly. I've heard you should avoid the cordless remote for the compressor, go with the wired system.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I've read, watch YouTube videos, and talked with my local dealer on which route to go, either air bags, or Sumo Springs. The dealer recommends the Sumo Springs over air bags, much cheaper way to go then air bags, no chance of air leaking problems, and they work. On my new Ram 1500 I'm only wanting to correct 100-150 lb.extra tongue weight to correct rear end sag, not what I would call a major correction. If the color means anything, I think it has to do with the spring ratings, they are sold in 1000, 1500, and 2000 lb. ratings, I was told to put on the 1500 lb. springs on the Ram and they are black. I did see there is a YouTube video on the Tundra, I would watch it to see if these Sumo's will work for you. I'm only going to these springs so I can avoid using a WDH as my weight load is so close to the manufactures recommend weight, 500 lbs. tongue weight recommended for my Ram and mine will be around 550, the sag is around 2" with the trailer hitched vs. not hitched. https://www.suspensionconnection.com...ry=sumosprings

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
My air bags were only $100 (I installed them myself, so if a dealer did it, they would probably add $200). My 4Runner has coil rear springs so there are limited options.
Looking at the options, I'd think Sumo Springs would be best for your application as well - no sudden resistance like Timbrens can cause, and like you say, no worries about airbag leakage (you would lose the adjustability though).
One other option for those with leaf rear springs is to "add-a-leaf," use helper springs. I did this for my 1999 Toyota Tacoma, to level the rear and provide better control under load. Toyota truck rear suspensions of that era are notoriously soft, and the rear ends sag under any load at all.

Here is a good video about Sumo Springs and Timbrens:
https://www.truckspring.com/timbren-vs-sumosprings.aspx
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thing about bump stop upgrades, like those sumo springs, they do nothing until the suspension is partially compressed

otoh, the ride-rite style airbags work best on leaf springs
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
thing about bump stop upgrades, like those sumo springs, they do nothing until the suspension is partially compressed

otoh, the ride-rite style airbags work best on leaf springs
I think this is true and I want my Sumo's right at the axle resting plate or within a 1/2" or so, this is because I want my springs to start working rather quicker then later when the weight is added and they start to compress. I know every vehicle is different, but I would like to see no more then 1-1 1/4" of sag before the springs start working for my load range. I will call Sumo before I purchase them and have a full understanding of how this will work with my Ram and load range I will have when hitched.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Dealers don't want you to use air bags.

Look under most commercial 18 wheel trailers and you will see airbags. Dealers don't want to fool with the bags, but I have used them on tow vehicles for the past 50 years, and never had a problem. Always installed them myself, and the adjustability is awesome. I concur with two air lines so the load can be leveled side to side. Consider if you have a heavier load on one side of the truck and you can level that easily.
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
2017 Tundra pulling an Escape 21

We use Supersprings on our 2017 Tundra to pull our Escape 21 without an equalizer hitch. We have about a 700 lb tongue weight. We had them installed at the shop where we purchased them. As far as I know, there were no changes needed to the truck configuration to accommodate them. We really like the ride using them. We had the Timbren rubber spring enhancers on our 4Runner and when not towing the ride felt very stiff. The ride in the Tundra is smoother and about the same when towing and not towing.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
I put Timbren bumper stops on my Transit Connect work van, which I run close to the load limit frequently. These were the lightest option. I think they work great once the body sits down on them. It corners very nicely with some weight on the floor; surprise. They are a bit harsh to transition with an empty van, but they work so well loaded up I don't mind.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #19

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Jayco
Missouri
Registry
We have a 2001 F250 SD 7.1L Diesel pulling a 38 ft Jayco Premier. Very happy with our Sumo Springs
Eddie Pilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #20

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We use Supersprings on our 2017 Tundra to pull our Escape 21 without an equalizer hitch. We have about a 700 lb tongue weight. We had them installed at the shop where we purchased them. As far as I know, there were no changes needed to the truck configuration to accommodate them. We really like the ride using them. We had the Timbren rubber spring enhancers on our 4Runner and when not towing the ride felt very stiff. The ride in the Tundra is smoother and about the same when towing and not towing.

I need to take pack some of what I said in this post. After receiving a PM from Russ, I went and looked at my truck brake lines. The driver's brake line runs between the super spring and the leaf springs. It looks OK. But the passenger side brake line runs over the super spring and the corner of the spring has started to cut into the line. Using a heavy duty tie wrap I pulled the brake line away from the spring.

Russ' PM saved me from a certain brake system rupture.

Tags
bigfoot