Tire blowout/Andersen WDH - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Trailer problems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I think there is something wrong with the tires. My tires were checked for air pressure and air was added before I left home. I only drive about 55- 58 on highways, was only 1 1/2 hr. into my trip. Do we have to be aeronautical engineers to operate these lightweight campers or what. Just my thoughts. Carl
-------------------------=====================--------------
I really believe it is a problem with trailer tires themselves, made worse by the fact that all are made in China. Most of us have had trailer tire problems. When is the last time your passenger car or pickup had a " Blowout " ? Probably never ! Car tires can get 60,000 or more miles on them. And they have more high speed ( 70-80 mph ) cornering, braking , spinning and stopping. It is not much of a problem with my Scamp 13' but I did have a tire failure late at night on " The Grapevine " pass north of LA. As well as odd wear patterns. I may try light truck tires next. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
-------------------------=====================--------------
I really believe it is a problem with trailer tires themselves, made worse by the fact that all are made in China.
Along with your smart phone, computers and a gazillion other things that you buy and rely on.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Along with your smart phone, computers and a gazillion other things that you buy and rely on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- But not the Cheese !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tire blowout/Andersen WDH

Funny how a relatively minor incident like this becomes a lightening rod for every controversial subject imaginable: WDH, trucks vs. cars as tow vehicles, ST vs LT tires, globalization,…

I think the real reason the tire blew is because the trailer has a bathroom!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"When I read this I couldn't help thinking of all the folks who write in asking, " Can I tow my Scamp / Casita with my Sonata / Corolla / Mini / or other small car. ? " This could have come out very different with a very light car as the TV. Just sayin'." David in Fresno and Sonora

I'm one of those people that towed mostly our 2600 lb Scamp 16 for 7 years with a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda CRV.. doing it with no tow vehicle issues, selling it after 250,000 trouble free miles.

I've now towed for 2 years with a Honda Odyssey, comparatively a beast to the CRV. Towing with either tow vehicle the Scamp 16 has towed beautifully.

Over the years our biggest issue was the trailer's receiver coming off the ball. Probably in part thanks to the anti-sway bar, it was not an issue and had no negative effect on the tow vehicle. (The problem was the result of a previous owner's modification of the ball receiver.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think it's a small tire big pothole issue. To me it seems the road damage on the highway is far worse on the passenger's side of the right lane. In California we have to tow trailers in the truck lane and I run into severe road damage I can't avoid. The high pressure, stiff sidewalls and small diameter of our Scamp trailer tires doesnt leave much cushing of the blow to disperse the impact. They get bruised and abused and let go when they're tired of going roundy round.

I try to buy proper ply tires and not something like 2 ply tire 3 ply rated. Then you have the whole buying a tire sitting for a long time on the shelf due to the low turnover rate of trailer tires.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My experience says that the majority of small tire catastrophic failures are the result of some sort of road hazard. Other failures usually give plenty of warning if regular inspection is done.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If were me I'd make sure I weighed the trailer on next trip out. Weigh each wheel independently. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I am happy that I invested $155 for a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). In case of a slow leak, it will insure that I do not continue driving with under-inflated tires. In the case of a sudden pressure loss, it will instantly alert and, if I can stop in time, then damage to the camper might prevented or at least minimized. Of course a sudden blow out at 65 MPH is still likely to do some damage so the TPMS is no substitute for proper tire maintenance, regular inspections, etc.

TPMS is nice to have and they are great for warning of slow leaks.

BUT when it comes to an actual blow out the odds are you are going to hear it and feel it the same time the TPMS tells you about it and by then the odds are the damage if any has already been done.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Two things come to mind.
One is them Chinese quality control is hit or miss.
Not that they can't make quality goods, but they don't have the same concept of quality that the US does.
Two is 13" tires go round and round a lot more than larger tires.
That along with heat and "abuse" leave a smaller safety margin. If smaller tire hits a pothole the shock to it is greater too.
This is why when I had to buy new wheels for my new axle I sprung for 14" wheels and tires with much higher margins of safety.
Now that also meant new (steel) wheel wells as well. (Better protection from thrown tire parts?)
While I have the Chinese tires that came with the wheels they do have a greater load rating by far than even the higher rated 13" tires.
When they are replaced probably US made Carlisle (sp?) will go on.
They have redesigned their trailer tires and hopefully their past troubles are over.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Funny how a relative minor incident like this can become a lightening rod for every controversial subject imaginable: WDH, trucks vs. cars as tow vehicles, ST vs LT tires, globalization,…

I think the real reason the tire blew is because the trailer has a bathroom!

Actually surprised no one has suggested it due to poor trailer design yet

I think the real reason the tire blew is it is driving on roads that frequently have items on them that can result in punchers, tears etc.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Not that they can't make quality goods, but they don't have the same concept of quality that the US does.
Believe the above may be somewhat incorrect.

I think you will find that of the major tire companies that are making tires in China (and there are a lot of them these days) that they are using the exact same quality control standards and methods they use/used when the tires are/were made at their US or elsewhere plants.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #33

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Believe the above may be somewhat incorrect.

I think you will find that of the major tire companies that are making tires in China (and there are a lot of them these days) that they are using the exact same quality control standards and methods they use/used when the tires are/were made at their US or elsewhere plants.
If true that may or may not be comforting. Remember the issues that Firestone had some years back.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #34

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
It looks like Ford had the issues, but not Firestone. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy
Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
TPMS is nice to have and they are great for warning of slow leaks.

BUT when it comes to an actual blow out the odds are you are going to hear it and feel it the same time the TPMS tells you about it and by then the odds are the damage if any has already been done.
I thought that was what I said. But if not, then yes.. initial damage will have been done. Further damage from continuing down the road might be prevented however. The important point is that I keep hearing from people that had "blow outs" on trailer tires that they hardly even could tell there was a problem from the driver's seat. That seems counter-intuitive to me but thats what I keep hearing. I have not had a trailer tire blow out myself so I have no personal experience to draw from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I think it's a small tire big pothole issue. To me it seems the road damage on the highway is far worse on the passenger's side of the right lane. ....
Yes, the problem is not that our tires are made in China, its that our roads are made in America.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The important point is that I keep hearing from people that had "blow outs" on trailer tires that they hardly even could tell there was a problem from the driver's seat.
It is common to hear that, especially from folks with dual axle trailers and its a rear tire that blows - you are probable going to notice the front one more.

In the case of the OP they are suggesting I believe that the type of WDH they are using also helped keep the trailer which is a single axle straight. It may well have helped. Would expect that when you have a fast blow out that the trailer is going to do at least some initial wiggle in response. Although every situation seems to be different as to the degree. It is why I believe I was taught never to hit the brakes if you have a blow out but instead do a little bit of a speed up to get/keep the trailer in line and then gradually pull it over.

I have had only one tire failure that I would call a fast complete blow out and fortunately it was not an overly hair raising experience. Have seen lots of posts over the years from others though who's experience was not as good.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Two things come to mind.
Two is 13" tires go round and round a lot more than larger tires.
That along with heat and "abuse" leave a smaller safety margin. If smaller tire hits a pothole the shock to it is greater too.
This is why when I had to buy new wheels for my new axle I sprung for 14" wheels and tires with much higher margins of safety.
Now that also meant new (steel) wheel wells as well. (Better protection from thrown tire parts?)
While I have the Chinese tires that came with the wheels they do have a greater load rating by far than even the higher rated 13" tires.
When they are replaced probably US made Carlisle (sp?) will go on.
They have redesigned their trailer tires and hopefully their past troubles are over.
I have 15s on my Pinto and they go round and round at the same rate as the 13s which came on the car.
On trailer tires the typical difference to upsize from 185/80/13 to 205/75/14 is about 3.4% revs per mile or 818 & 790 respectively, truly negligible.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
It looks like Ford had the issues, but not Firestone. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy
Actually it was Firestone tires which were the problem. The day I bought my 2001 Ranger, Ford allowed me to go to the tire dealer of my choice and get five new tires of my choice which they paid for. They took the Flintstones and drilled a 3" hole in the sidewall of each tire to prevent them from being used any further. I drove a hundred miles from the Ford dealer to the tire dealer and WOW what a difference! Any road racer will tell you that a car is first just a set of tires. .
I did of course tweak the suspension a little as well. The truck still drives great.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Wiki article actually substantiates the idea that the tires were the problem, although the low tire pressures specified by Ford certainly could have played a role.

IIRC I got about 35,000 miles out of my Firestones on the 2000 Mountaineer (Explorer clone) before getting them replaced under the recall. Felt like I made out like a bandit on that. My wife still drives the Mountaineer daily, BTW, and insists she doesn't want anything different.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #40

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Thanks for refreshing my memory.