Tire Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Just bought a 1972 Boler 1300 and need to put different tires on it so my Jeep can tow it.
Now I am installing a 15" rim but need to know about tire rating, do i need a light truck tire for this trailer or will a car tire suffice?

I want to make sure this is proper because the wife and I are taking our first vacation in it and we will be traveling from BC to Ontario.
Peter Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Now I am installing a 15" rim

I may be misunderstanding your question but most Bolers will only accept a 13 inch tire without major modifications. I had smaller 13" car tires on my Boler and they served me well but I upgraded to a larger 13" last year to get a bit more height.

I am using Maxxis trailer tires available from KalTire

Model M8008
ST175/80R13
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding your question but most Bolers will only accept a 13 inch tire without major modifications. I had smaller 13" car tires on my Boler and they served me well but I upgraded to a larger 13" last year to get a bit more height.

I am using Maxxis trailer tires available from KalTire

Model M8008
ST175/80R13
Looks like someone may have cut part of the fiberglass away but yes I can put a 15" rim with rubber on it with no issus.
Cant upload pic because of size but all I need to know is can I use a car or suv rubber.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
When I had my smaller 13 inch tires they were motomaster car tires and I had no problems with them even with a 2200 lb load. Trailer tires are preferable as they have stiffer sidewalls but I think you would be OK with truck or SUV tires.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
ST (Special Trailer) Tires are designed with less sidewall flex then car or truck tires. Car/Truck tires are designed to flex more to hug the road during curves. ST tires have stiffer sidewalls as they just need to track the vehicle.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Whoops, duplicate post. Carry on ...
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Here is a good discussion on trailer tires:

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/t...r_tires_101.pdf

Probably duplicated, but what the heck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Peter,

Question: "but all I need to know is can I use a car or suv rubber."

I've seen Special Trailer ST tires recommended most often and also Light Truck LT tires recommended for trailers. Most experts do not recommend Passenger P tires for trailers. Not sure what you mean by SUV tires, as some have P and some have LT. Look carefully at how much weight you will carry on each tire and buy a weight rating 25-50% greater for a margin of safety. Stay away from cheap tires!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Peter,

Question: "but all I need to know is can I use a car or suv rubber."

I've seen Special Trailer ST tires recommended most often and also Light Truck LT tires recommended for trailers. Most experts do not recommend Passenger P tires for trailers. Not sure what you mean by SUV tires, as some have P and some have LT. Look carefully at how much weight you will carry on each tire and buy a weight rating 25-50% greater for a margin of safety. Stay away from cheap tires!

Figure I will just buy the proper tires, no sense being cheap about it.