Tire Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tire Question

I have to replace a tire on our 2013 Scamp 13 due to a blowout. Right now, the 2 tires in service are from different manufacturers and have been used for different periods of time. I have 2 choices: 1) replace the 2 tires in service with a new matched pair and use the best old one as a spare -OR- 2) buy 1 new tire and use it as a spare. Any suggestions?
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
If the one of the current tires is five or more years old, replace them both and keep the newest as a spare.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Buy a matched pair and use your best present tire as a spare.

(unless the new ones will be 5 years old within the next sixty months)

If you don't want any more blowouts, buy a quality tire and keep it inflated properly....

For instance.... Carlisle 175/80 R13 91M C1 BSB

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tires have date codes. When in doubt replace them all. Good trailer tires are not very expensive. And with a single axle FG trailer, you can do a lot of damage with a blow out.$$$$
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I got 2 new tires, Carlisle ST175/80R13, load range D, manufacturer date 1020.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are you going to run them at 50 psi (Scamp recommendation) or 65 psi (max sidewall pressure)? Or something else?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #7

I'll follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation: 65 psi
Old 06-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
When I put "D"s on, I ran at 65 as per tire recommendation. Everything in the trailer shook onto the floor. I backed off to 50 and all is good.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
I'll follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation: 65 psi
But some people will say that is not the tire manufacturer's recommendation unless you are at or near full load on the tire. They might even provide an inflation chart that shows lower inflation for lower weights on the tires, and that would then be the tire manufacturer's recommendation.

On my Scamp with the original tires the max load for the tires was not so much higher that I would have considered running under their max inflation of 50 psi. My new tires can carry more weight and be inflated to 65 psi. But now I am far enough under the max load of the tires that max inflation of the tires is not required. Normally I would advocate running at max inflation because it is better to err on the side of over inflation (but not over max inflation) then to be under inflated, and almost no ones knows the true weight on the individual tires. But with my new tires I will run them at 58-60 psi. Of course I use a monitor to watch the tire temp also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The wheels your tires are mounted on also have a max PSI indicated.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #11

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Excuse me, I also want to buy a new one. What do you think about Carl Trailer Radial Trailer Tyre. It is another high-quality tire. Is that right? But I heard that in some cases, the tires can be tough to put onto your RV. So can someone give me some advices? Thanks!
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Excuse me, I also want to buy a new one. What do you think about Carl Trailer Radial Trailer Tyre. It is another high-quality tire. Is that right? But I heard that in some cases, the tires can be tough to put onto your RV. So can someone give me some advices? Thanks!
Do you mean Carlisle Radial Trail tires? That’s what I have, and yes, they are a good quality trailer tire. I believe they’re now made in two load ratings, C and D (the latter is called Radial Trail HD, for heavy duty).

It would help to know the tire size and application (trailer size and weight), but I am a bit confused. Your profile says you are in Mexico and your trailer says Ford. It would help to clarify where you are and what sort of RV we’re talking about. A link to the specific tire you're buying would also help.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #13

mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Do you mean Carlisle Radial Trail tires? That’s what I have, and yes, they are a good quality trailer tire. I believe they’re now made in two load ratings, C and D (the latter is called Radial Trail HD, for heavy duty).

It would help to know the tire size and application (trailer size and weight), but I am a bit confused. Your profile says you are in Mexico and your trailer says Ford. It would help to clarify where you are and what sort of RV we’re talking about. A link to the specific tire you're buying would also help.
Oh, yes. But I want to buy for my friend. His rv is a light truck tires class c and I have read some kinds of tire in here: https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tires-reviewed/#more-1875 . But there are many choice for me
Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Tire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Oh, yes. But I want to buy for my friend. His rv is a light truck tires class c and I have read some kinds of tire in here: https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tires-reviewed/#more-1875 . But there are many choice for me [emoji782]
Are you saying your friend has a Class C motorhome on a Ford van chassis?

If so then this is not a trailer tire question.

There are lots of choices in LT tires. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. Don’t overlook your local tire shop as a resource. Things like where and how you use the vehicle, how many miles you drive a year, budget- all make a difference. They can take your individual needs and make a personalized recommendation.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 AM   #15

mexico
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Are you saying your friend has a Class C motorhome on a Ford van chassis?

If so then this is not a trailer tire question.

There are lots of choices in LT tires. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. Don’t overlook your local tire shop as a resource. Things like where and how you use the vehicle, how many miles you drive a year, budget- all make a difference. They can take your individual needs and make a personalized recommendation.
Yeah! Thank you so much