Too rainy to unhitch! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I come from sailing too ( Patrick), and whenever I would undo something that I wanted to make sure was "re-did" before getting underway, I would put a certain, bright "scunchi" type ponytail holder on the tiller to remind me (or anyone else) that there was something important to do before moving.

So I think if I undid the "umbilical" I might want to put something like that on the shifter of the TV, or someplace else obvious. Granted, you should check the rig always before leaving, but it's just a reminder since the wiring hookup is not as obvious as the tongue jack or the like.

As I found out when I first got a hitch put on my car, the "bulb out" light on my dash lights up whenever the trailer wiring is in use (if lights are on, or a blinker, or brakes depressed). This is because it uses a sensor that tells it to light up when there is any imbalance in loads. I would have needed some more wiring done to correct it. But, after driving with it for a week or so, I found that I like it that way. I always know if my trailer wiring is hooked up or not, which has come in handy. And the dash light is not a distracting, bright one.

R.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Many brake controllers will give a visual indication that the brakes aren't functioning if the umbilical cable isn't connected.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Quote:
Many brake controllers will give a visual indication that the brakes aren't functioning if the umbilical cable isn't connected.
I don't stay hitched. i unhook, but keep the umbilical cord attached. My egg has 4 automotive scissor jacks attached to the frame on 4 corners, so often times in my quests for level in imperfect spots, I have a wheel off the ground. I know the scissors can take it, considering a single scissor is rated for 2000 lbs, and i'm using 4 at once. i'm never concerned about it rolling away.

I too can drink coffee at night. drinking one right now...going to bed in about an hour...
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I have stayed hitched before...never worried too much about it. From the beating my hitch (entire tow kit) takes on the road, I figure little ol' me am not going to hurt it!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I never unhitch for an overnighter. I have a large level on the front of the Casita where I can see it from the drivers seat. That gets the trailer level side to side. The tongue jack or wooden blocks level it front to back so the fridge is comfortable. If the fridge is comfortable, we are comfortable.

I have an battery charging isolator, so I never unplug unless I am unhitching.

Raya L has the right idea about "reminders" so that you don't forget something that needs to be done before driving off.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote