Tow ball height - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I doubt it, because they don’t keep it in stock, and they have to put something on it while it’s being built. But you might be able to bring one and swap it at pick-up for credit. Worth asking. Changing the tongue jack is simple. If they don’t play you might be able to sell it on Craigslist.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #22

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
So do I understand correctly that the ultimate Jack will easily pull up pretty much flush with the tongue frame instead of Extending down about four or 5 inches above the frame in the up position? Is that true? If so it just seems way better for a low riding trailer with a really small tires
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Tow ball height

Pretty much. Just one caution... The retaining pin on early units was weak and occasionally allowed the tube to drop down while towing. I think that defect was corrected, but I know some people rigged up a fail-safe.

It’s the same with swing-away jacks. Many people bungee them to the frame to prevent them from accidentally swinging down while towing.

However, I am recalling that new 13’ers now sit about 3” higher, thanks to a different axle spec. Wondering if the regular tongue jack might be fine now. Maybe wait and see?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
So do I understand correctly that the ultimate Jack will easily pull up pretty much flush with the tongue frame instead of Extending down about four or 5 inches above the frame in the up position? Is that true? If so it just seems way better for a low riding trailer with a really small tires
Check out the e-trailer.com video on this jack. I have been looking at this for a replacement but have to see how the additional height when retracted will affect things. (around 19”vs 15”). Also whether it will rattle in use.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #25

California
clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Pretty much. Just one caution... The retaining pin on early units was weak and occasionally allowed the tube to drop down while towing. I think that defect was corrected, but I know some people rigged up a fail-safe.

It’s the same with swing-away jacks. Many people bungee them to the frame to prevent them from accidentally swinging down while towing.

However, I am recalling that new 13’ers now sit about 3” higher, thanks to a different axle spec. Wondering if the regular tongue jack might be fine now. Maybe wait and see?
Also, I forgot to mention, that I just barely have clearance to open my 4Runner TV "tailgate" hatch door. I wouldn't want anything that extended higher above the tongue. Could that be a problem?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #26

Arizona
Registry
Since you’re stopped when you open your tailgate, you could lower the jack. That would be an inconvenience, of course.

Please disregard my remark about new Scamps in the previous reply. I got you confused with another person who was preparing to pick up a new 13’er.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #27

California
Hey Jon. On my rig, With a standard Scamp Jack,The top of the Jack doesn’t move I don’t think.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
With the Ultimate Jack, the entire body of the jack slides up and down in a sleeve. Raise it to tow, lower to unhitch or to open the tailgate.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #29

California
I see what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
With the Ultimate Jack, the entire body of the jack slides up and down in a sleeve. Raise it to tow, lower to unhitch or to open the tailgate.
I see. Thanks.